HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:24 PM
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Discussion
President (A.Hatfull) - Britplan Build Off January 2013 to June 2013

Here's the start of my contribution to the build off. Have found the plan, have located one oily Mills, and have good intentions.
hobgoblin is online now Find More Posts by hobgoblin
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:40 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,793 Posts
Watching with interest - I like Albert E Hatfull models!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2013, 06:24 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,212 Posts
Will follow closely, Hatful models were always tops!! No doubt one of his designs, the Junior 60 is considered one of the most popular old-timers ever designed.
Edubarca is offline Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:40 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,637 Posts
Very nice!
Just a thought... Does the Mills in the photo have a modern composite prop on it?
If so, you'd be safer with an old soft plastic 8x4 (KK, Topflite, etc.). It might save you an engine...
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:03 AM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
232 Posts
Although the 'President' was designed by Albert in 1949 the plan wasn't published until 1996, when it appeared in SAM 35 year book No 9.
Does it still qualify for the 'Britplan' competition?
John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
I must have imagined seeing the plan in a 1950 AM and ordering PET 393 in the mid 80's

The prop is a 7*4 MAS - nearest one to hand when I checked to see if the motor was free, not for flying and thanks for the reminder! I broke the crankshaft on an Indian Mills on my first control line flight (by that i mean unintentional wingover having failed to step back on launch). I tend to fly mills models with wooden props if i can find them, super bendy aussie taipans are OK too.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:51 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moore View Post
Although the 'President' was designed by Albert in 1949 the plan wasn't published until 1996, when it appeared in SAM 35 year book No 9.
John
John, we're in a serious discussion here. This sangria for breakfast nonsense has to stop
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 04:58 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,613 Posts
Plan was first published in October 1950 Aeromodeller.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:44 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,793 Posts
Quote:
John
RFJ is absolutely right John; I am looking at the magazine now. The august men of SAM were wrong in saying that the President was a "previously unpublished design", something I did point out at the time. As you can see from the plan image in the first post, it is an APS plan.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:30 AM
Southern Spain
Joined Nov 2003
232 Posts
Apologies to all!. I really believed that article in the Sam 35 yearbook to be correct and could not understand how Aeromodeller had published the plan!.

In spite of that, I have in fact prepared a 1/3 larger plan of the President as I always considered it a little small at 34" span, for the Mills .75. Perhaps the least I can do to make amends fo my stupidity is to offer to build it and enter the Britplan Build, that is, if I am still eligible after my goof!
John
John Moore is offline Find More Posts by John Moore
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:45 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,793 Posts
Quote:
Apologies to all!. I really believed that article in the Sam 35 yearbook to be correct and could not understand how Aeromodeller had published the plan!.

In spite of that, I have in fact prepared a 1/3 larger plan of the President as I always considered it a little small at 34" span, for the Mills .75. Perhaps the least I can do to make amends fo my stupidity is to offer to build it and enter the Britplan Build, that is, if I am still eligible after my goof!
John
No apologies needed John, normally what you read in the SAM Yearbooks is spot on. I think the publication of the President arose out of an interview with Albert H, who knows he may have forgotten about the President being in AM all those years ago.

I'd love to see your 1.3x President in the Build Off - I'll enter it now before you have a chance to change your mind, just post a note on the build off thread when you start your build log and I will add the link to that then.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
Phew, am glad that's all sorted then

Mills 75 was a bit much for the original size from what I remember... Thank you for the reminder John. I think I'll try a scaled down Russian Mills first.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:54 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,793 Posts
That's great, so we are going to have two Presidents - one from the UK original size with a scaled down engine and one from Spain with the original size engine but scaled up! Should be interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing them.
RCG Plus Member