SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:09 PM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Help!
new tqi reciever issues.

Once again I am having technical difficulties with my 2wd slash, so once again am looking to you experts for help.

After I (I believe) burnt up my tq, so I picked up a tqi rx because I was under the impression that they would work together nicely. But after binding them I have the steering responding to the steering trim but not to the wheel on the tx.

Second issue is that I have no throttle whatsoever, no trim or anything.

I plugged in the old school traxxas 27mhz/am tx and matching rx which worked fine without a single problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
Dutch_Rutter is offline Find More Posts by Dutch_Rutter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:27 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,973 Posts
You did bind them again, following the proper procedure? Btw, since this is still about your Slash, why not stick with the topic you already started? It seems like a common practice these days, sometimes you see a topic about almost every single aspect of the same car.

As for the throttle, it could be you need to setup the speed controller again to work with your new transmitter. Some speed controllers don't release the throttle when for instance the stick is not centered, and it's very well possible the neutral position on your old transmitter was slightly off compared to the new one, so the ESC now puts throttle on hold until it "learns" the stick position and range of the new TX.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Dec 28, 2012, 12:46 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
I wasn't sure if that was an acceptably way of doing things as I am new to the sight and every sight is different. Sorry about that.

I did pair it correctly several times over, as well as set the transmitter the original TQ to its factory settings thinking that maybe I messed anything up when trying to program it. Still the only thing that is working is the steering trim which goes from far right to center no farther left then that. I am also running a brushless and senseless racers edge sec and motor as you probably know from my previous post. Would that pose a problem as well?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 01:56 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,973 Posts
No problem, it's just that it keeps a forum usually less cluttered when less seperate topics about a single car are opened. Also usually better to retrieve information afterwards.

I doubt the type of ESC and motor has anything to do with the steering problem. The only thing the receiver "feels" from the ESC is the power it gets when the receiver's BEC system is used, to feed the receiver power from the battery, reduced to the operating voltage the receiver needs. Apart from that the communication is pretty much one way, the receiver "tells" the ESC how much throttle percentage output should be used, depending on stick input.

Did you also check this compatibility guide to see if the new receiver should work fine with your current TX?

http://traxxas.com/support/Traxxas-T...tibility-Guide
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
I saw that when I was researching which esc I should buy. From what I gather my transmitter is the one in the center with the black chrome steering wheel while the new esc is the tqi one, so it looks to be compatible on that chart.

Now I just plugged the old 2.4ghz tq esc (original on car) the one which I thought was fried but turns out that it gives me the same thing that the tqi does just the steering trim. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the controllers programming since that is the common constant problem. Tomorrow morning I'll be calling traxxas's help line in hopes that they will share their money saving knowledge with me as I am entirely out of ideas.

I do appreciate the help.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 02:34 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,973 Posts
What happens if you switch steering and ESC plugs on the receiver? So that the throttle trigger controls the steering and the wheel the speed? Could be wise to put the car with wheels from the ground, to avoid it running off in case things go wrong, but it would be a way to test if the transmitter at least partially works.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Good idea. Just tried it. Turning the wheel, and pulling the trigger still do nothing
However when I turn the steering trim knob it spins the tires. Thanks for recommending that I take the wheels off the ground, that would not of been good at all.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:13 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,973 Posts
That would rule out a mechanical defect on the transmitter. Looks like it's stuck in some kind of test/trim mode.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:23 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
Do you have parts numbers as that would be easier to work out, the tqi Tx only works with certain older Rx's. according to this pic, it isn't compatable with the older TQ 2.4 reciever, but is with the Link receiver
click
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:25 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
I was looking into my little program book for the controller and it shows an option for disabling the multi function knob maybe that mixed with other problems gas resulted in what I have. I hope the traxxas people can help out. Worst case I run my old am transmitter and receiver until the wife doesn't kill me for ordering new stuff for it.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
Yes traxx I do. the new tqi esc is 6518 the tq controller is a 2 channel 2238 which was bound to a tq 2218 receiver when I received the car from the previous owner.

Would it be possible that the new controllers will work with the older receivers but not new receivers with an older transmitter?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:46 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
hmm not too sure i know the tqi transmitter works with the 2218 and 2218X receiver, but not sure if the black TQ link transmitter works with the 6518. I don't see why it shouldn't work. The old grey 2.4 transmitters probably won't work.
The only problems i can think of is the batteries in the transmitter aren't fully charged, This gives weird problems and is one of the first things traxxas tells you to do as it's often overlooked.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 04:00 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
If you manage to get it working and decide you need to add some extra channels on the 2238 i can show you how if it is one of the hackable ones. heres my 2238 punk style.
Or if you need to sell it i can show you how to check if it has 5 channels capable which could bring you more money than just selling it as a two channel.

Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
That looks sweet traxx depending how this goes I might be interested in selling this tq 2.4 controller and receiver.

So I called the 1888 traxxas number, and let me say the guy that I talked to was not very helpful and rather rude kinda odd because their help line is usually the exact opposite. Basically he said that I need to pair my racers edge esc with my 2218 receiver, wwhich he said is not fried and also that the 6518 receiver and 2238 transmitter is not compatable. So with that in mind I placed a 7.00 bid on a tqi transmitter on ebay. Lol maybe I should start looking for a new motor and esc combo?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:36 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
I would of thought it would be compatable if the TQi transmitter works with the 2218 Link receiver then why should it work the other way round, the Link 2238 transmitter and the TQi 6518 receiver. I would shoot them an email to double check and hope the rude dude doesn't reply.
Anyways good luck on the bid. they was going quite cheap not that long ago, but have steadily raised in price.