5,601 Posts
Will this help?http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r#post22366005
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:41 PM
Russian Federation, Voronezhskaya oblast, Voronezh
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
It was one page ago I was asking the same question. 13-13.5 will be the best I think. Now I have 15 and the gap between cowl and spinner is to large.

Maidened mine today. An I want to say WOW! It flies great! It flies and feels much bigger then 48" size. After Slick my 48" Edge seemed to me a little foamie

Everyone at the field liked it too. It's the second 3DHS airplane in our city (first is mine 48 Edge ) and one guy even asked me how and where he could buy the same airplane! So today I promoted 3DHS a little

Was flying with JXF wood 15x6 prop and I think it has to low pitch for 4315 714kv. Wanted to fly with APC 15x7, but found that I forgot to drill a hole in it. So had 4 flights, everything is great, except KE spin. Only at flight 4 I think I got it. Compared to my Edge, you have to give a little right aileron to enter, while with Edge - a little left aileron. But still it spins not violent, I think with APC 15x7 it will spin better.
AlexGold is offline Find More Posts by AlexGold
Old Aug 12, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
Ups, it was more than one page
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:32 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
How does this setup look?
ESC
MotorWith Lightened X mount, 714 KV

Most likely these for elevator, since elevator servos seem to burn out a lot, and a higher tourque rating should make it easier on the servo...right? Am I wrong? Do you think I should just put the below on all surfaces? This servo has 90 in oz
And these for ailerons and rudder...and maybe elevator? What do you think?

Nope, I'm NOT using Hitecs.Don't even try
Alex Schauer is offline Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
293 Posts
ESC and Motor - excellent (everyone in this thread says this ). I'm using 75Lite ESC now, but ordered Ice100 to be safe.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Mar 2011
711 Posts
The first one is too physicaly large. Joe smith runs the futaba 9650's they are good servos but.... not metal gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
ESC

Most likely these for elevator, since elevator servos seem to burn out a lot, and a higher tourque rating should make it easier on the servo...right? Am I wrong? Do you think I should just put the below on all surfaces? This servo has 90 in oz

nebwake is offline Find More Posts by nebwake
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,288 Posts
Every servo has a weakness. You are not going to find a perfect servo especially in the price range you are probably looking at. Here is something posted in an extreme flight thread regarding servos for their 60'' planes. It applies here as well so read up
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop View Post
Sure, I'll tell you more, just hope it doesn't turn into what it did the last time I posted my opinion. As you know I do fly for Horizon Hobby so my opinion has been considered bias to some, but I can assure you that when I post information about my findings they are honest because I want E.F. customers to know nothing but the truth about the products we recommend and use. I as well as many of the Team Extreme pilots have tested most of the servos that fit the 60" planes, Hitec, JR, Airtronics, Spektrum, etc.... We have all noticed that it seems like every servo has something that it lacks but yet something else that makes up for what it lacks, for example, Hitec 5245's don't center as well as the Airtronic servo,the Airtonics center very pricisely but don't have the torque and holding power the Hitec does, the JR 3421 seemed slow to me and felt like it blew back a little at times too but centered great, the Hitec5245's have burnt out and blown gears more than any other that I have seen, that is from personal experience and seeing other pilots have issues, the Spektrum 5040's I tried blew back and jittered bad under heat and load but I think that issue may have been fixed. I have heard that the Savox blow back as well. It goes on and on, different things with different servos...

Many guys are doing fine with all these servos and some may never notice what I described, and some just don't worry about it because they perform well for what the want them to do for them. Then there are people like mysef that are looking for the best of everything in one servo. Chris Hinson and I, as well as many other team members have all talked about how much we would like a high torque servo, in the 90oz or more torque range that doesn't give up quality or centering, speed or reliability. Just when we thought we would never see it Hitec and JR released the HV servos,the 7245 and 3711. Chris Hinson and I talkd about it and decided to try them, he put the 3711's in the 60" MXS proto, yellow and black and I put the 3711's on the rudder and elevator and 7245's onthe ailerons of my 60" Extra. After many flights I am confident in saying that both servos perform the same, and with the specs being very close I wasn't surprised.

When run with a small 2s lipo direct to the RX, they are the best servos I have ever flown flown on a plane this size. They are super fast, as far as I could see and feel they don't blow back at all, not even in a full power dive. Then to top it all off the both center better than any other servo that I have tried in these planes. To me the plane has the most precise, locked in positive feel I've ever felt on a plane this size, it's incredible. I have close to 100 fights on them and they are still solid. I know Chris was just as happy as was last I talked to him, and everyone else I have talked to that has them say the same thing.

Now, I know after I said all that people are going to say why do we recommend the 5245's and other servos in that class when these servos are so much better. It's simple, because they all work and the others are much more price friendly than the HV's. As I said, all the servos work good, and it is more about preference and price than anything to most people. Many people won't notice some of the thing's I described because they don't care about or may never fly precision, so they don't notice the centering quality or higher speed blow back that someone who flies more precision does. If you mostly fly slow speed high alpha stuff I don't see any need for the HV servos, the people that will really see the difference are people who ar flying very high speed high energy stuff, like Chris Jewett, Daniel Holman, RJ, etc....

I hope this answers your question and helps others understand the servos better as well as the fact that you don't have to have them for your plane to perform well, for example Daniel used 5245's in most of his videos...

Lee
He didn't include futaba though so maybe that is the perfect servo

But basically if you want something better than the recommended setup you will have to spend more and go HV. Otherwise, usually, you'll end up with something different, not better.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:48 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer View Post
ESC

The ICE lite 100 amp is the same price why would you not get the ice lite?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er View Post
Every servo has a weakness. You are not going to find a perfect servo especially in the price range you are probably looking at. Here is something posted in an extreme flight thread regarding servos for their 60'' planes. It applies here as well so read up

He didn't include futaba though so maybe that is the perfect servo

But basically if you want something better than the recommended setup you will have to spend more and go HV. Otherwise, usually, you'll end up with something different, not better.
Thanks for that quote!
Well...you have convinced me to think about saving up for those 7245's.
Can Futaba 617FS FASST Rx's stand up to 2s lipo?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:35 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
Quote:
Ice 100 cools better, data logging, adjustable bec output for the same price
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:43 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
The ice lite 100 doesn't have adjustable bec output?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Feb 2011
4,672 Posts
Quote:
It miiiigght....idk
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholeno View Post
I know its probably in here somewhere but that could be days of reading. What size spacers are you using for the motrolfly 4315 motor in the 59
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...94583&page=386

See post 5780
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Aug 12, 2012, 04:59 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Even if it did, the better cooling is the key - heat kills. Even the Castle folks say to use the Ice over the Ice Lite if you can.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277