SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtravel View Post
I flew the S022 I purchased in Nov for the first time today.
Flew it indoor real easy and It was experiencing Fly bar strikes in the upper blades. Never had that problem on my older S022 purchased in 2010
When I cut the throttle to zero it kept hovering and I had to increase and then lower the throttle a second time befor it would land.
Played around with the trim but even when it was prefectly trimmed I was getting strikes. Because it was purchased at Christmas time Amazon will accept the return until the end of Jan so I think I will just send it back.
My older one still flys great.

Ah, that's the beauty of Amazon! I have an Amazon prime acct and didn't even think about using it for my S022. I also crashed my Solo Pro yesterday, so I don't have anything to fly right now. It is cold and windy outside now so the S022 won't work. Blipping the throttle stick is what also stops mine when it takes off by itself.
WoodyBoater is offline Find More Posts by WoodyBoater
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:05 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
I've not removed the spring on my S022, I would not recomend it with your trottle problems, I'm not even sure of I'll use the stock Tx again once I have the DSM2ir upgrade installed. (assuming the PCB fault is the Mhz part the DSM2ir would bypass and cure it, oh I may be getting S022 parts soon, I've picked up a load of S032 and S107 and Sunday I'll be collecting 120 Syma to strip n sell, that tiny screwdriver is gonna kill my fingers!)

Mine always flew fine with the wire wrapped up around the wheels like out of the box, I only had signal trouble when I tried winding around all four wheels, dangling down should give better reception and maybe stop you throttle bursts.

I have to go back and find where you discuss these mods.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyBoater View Post
Ah, that's the beauty of Amazon! I have an Amazon prime acct and didn't even think about using it for my S022. I also crashed my Solo Pro yesterday, so I don't have anything to fly right now. It is cold and windy outside now so the S022 won't work.
I used Prime and It was only $40 so I'm tempted to just keep it for parts.
I really like the way my older one flys and like the idea of having spare parts available when needed.
I need to get my two solo Pro's out and fly them now that you mention it.
jtravel is offline Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Jan 13, 2012, 03:38 PM
United States, RI
Joined Jan 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Ah, that's the beauty of Amazon! I have an Amazon prime acct and didn't even think about using it for my S022. I also crashed my Solo Pro yesterday, so I don't have anything to fly right now. It is cold and windy outside now so the S022 won't work. Blipping the throttle stick is what also stops mine when it takes off by itself.
Hey WoodyBoater,
Like I said in PM, I've kind of gotten used to the issue, and as long as I make sure I keep my fingers away from the props at all times, and the controler at hand to "blip" the throttle if it takes off, I do ok.
Unfortunately, by this point I've wrecked the blades where it won't fly right anymore, and I end up crashing it too often. So It's retired until the parts kit gets here. I orederd it through Amazon at the same time I ordered the S022 (1/1/12), and it still hasn't gotten here yet. I guess it's coming from Canada via "Canadian Post".

For the time being I got my mini Chinook S026 yesterday and ... OH MAN what a balst that is! WAY easier to fly than the S022. Better for indoors flying, that's for sure. Only gripe I have so far is, I wish the battery lasted longer. 5-7 mins playing then, wait 45 minutes to charge.

ST
Scootatrash is offline Find More Posts by Scootatrash
Old Jan 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
I charged this thing again this afternoon and I have a few more observations about mine.
1: The sudden takeoffs still occur. I can't even begin to attempt flying it inside and will have to wait for a nice day.
I held it in my hand to observe the rotation of the blades until the battery was depleted
2: The upper front rotor does not always start when I advance the throttle stick. I am pretty sure both upper and lower blades have their own motors.
3: It just loses power intermittently
4: Blade strikes are a definite concern. Mine are beat to hell already and I've only held it in my hand
5: I think the latest batch of these things is bad.
6: I'll wait for the S022G and buy another one.
Last edited by WoodyBoater; Jan 13, 2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:10 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
I have to go back and find where you discuss these mods.
The prototype info page has all the everything you need to know, infact my little one has been in and out of my bed all night pinching my arms so I'm wide awake now, I'll start the thread on the DSM2ir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootatrash View Post

For the time being I got my mini Chinook S026 yesterday and ... OH MAN what a balst that is! WAY easier to fly than the S022. Better for indoors flying, that's for sure. Only gripe I have so far is, I wish the battery lasted longer. 5-7 mins playing then, wait 45 minutes to charge.

ST
Sounds like your ready to upgrade the LiPo, your gonna need a pack of these...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9727

And a couple of these fellas!
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5Fcell%5F.html

Or these....
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...5FmCPx%5F.html

You will also need to modify your charger to safely charge these unprotected cells.

With a 420 mAh people have claimed 10min flights with the body fitted and up to 20 mins flying just the skeleton.

My guide on this can be found in theMaking a non-swappable LiPo swappable thread.

Quote:
6: I'll wait for the S022G and buy another one.
I would love to get the gyro version when it's out.... Until then I will experiment, DSM2ir+S026G PCB+Larger FETs (taken from S022)= my own S022G or should a call it a DS048G?
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Thanks for posting that prototype link. The S022 just looks so cool and I really want to fly this thing...or another one since I think mine is defective.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
djdavies83, I just noticed that you are from Swansea. My daughter (15) was in Aberystwyth for the International Soccer Tournament a few years ago (yes, they actually call it soccer in that tournament). They placed 2nd to Arsenal Ladies.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:01 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
djdavies83, I just noticed that you are from Swansea.
My goodness he actually managed to change it at last !!!!!!!!!!

Could this be he is catching up with jobs he needs to complete (do I hear the Airwolf theme in the background?)
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
It may be worth you getting the smaller S026G for now and flying it indoors, you don't want to go and by another S022 to find the S022G released like a week later or something.

I moved back to South Wales beginning of November, only changed my location the night we were talkin about cars (my fathers IS fitting a 2Ltr Turbo Diesel Sierra engine, he ain't going to any "track days"), I was also gonna change my "tag line" but couldn't see how to do it.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
We can rebuild it!
Joined Apr 2010
3,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
Could this be he is catching up with jobs he needs to complete (do I hear the Airwolf theme in the background?)
Ah didn't see your post yesterday, I am kinda getting through a list of things, jobs that involve finding my (or buying a new) soldering iron are a little lower at the moment. Off to a trial shift that may progress to management an hour from a now so I need to get looking sharp.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:35 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Big Chinook Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post
Scotsoft, you HAVE been most helpful with your direct encouragement to perform our repairs, and we've learned from your many troubleshooting comments to other proud Big Chinook Owners, but sadly we've been grounded for a while!

FYI, to raise the excitement level, I just checked my delivery status on our replacement rear motor set and it says "delivered Jan 9th", so I'm going to try and chase that package down. Looks like things are in my court to get that last stripped screw off the motor frame. It's the upper screw of the two screws that hold the motor frame, and it's about 80% stripped!

T21
Scotsoft, we're finally BACK and terrorizing the pets and occupants of our living room! Our S022 has been down since the day after Christmas with a burnt out rear motor (factory defect?).

Since I last posted, I received my rear motor set and wound up still blocked by some stripped screws. In brief, last night I managed to get the rear motor frame out, replaced the motors and got everything back in proper place.

But that was too easy, said the Heli-Gods, and somehow I managed to break a wire connection to the front motor set!! So then I had to remove the front motor frame in order to re-solder the blue wire connection to the top of the motor. THEN I hit another stripped screw (it's those deep ones into the motor frame that were a problem. Not to be delayed again, I grabbed my soldering iron (barely used in my limited experience) and managed to solder the wire back on without removing the motor frame from the fuselage.

That done, and everything back in its place, I tested her out, and she took ably to the air. That impressive sound long silenced was back.

This morning was a lot like Christmas. Little Toltec came down stairs to see his long grounded Chinook waiting in the living room and said "Dad, you are so awesome!" (wonder how long that will last...) and he started her up, lifted off, and buzzed around the obstacles of the living room. Pretty darn impressive machine.

Thanks for the encouragement to getting us here,

Toltec21 in Austin
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Last edited by Toltec21; Jan 15, 2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
88 Posts
Toltec21, right out of the box, I think I have a bad motor also. My top front rotor does not always start immediately when I push the throttle stick forward. That results in some crazy blade strikes. Then there is sudden takeoff without any input. Mine is grounded until I can take it outside. It'll probably take off on it's own and crash into a neighbor's house or get stuck in a tree
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Dec 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Toltec21, right out of the box, I think I have a bad motor also. My top front rotor does not always start immediately when I push the throttle stick forward. That results in some crazy blade strikes. Then there is sudden takeoff without any input. Mine is grounded until I can take it outside. It'll probably take off on it's own and crash into a neighbor's house or get stuck in a tree
I hear you brother! That is EXACTLY what happened (and continues) here. It was the top rotor and inside the fuselage it was the right side of the rear motor set motor that malfunctioned within a few flights. Same thing the stalled rotor, the blade strikes. And PLENTY of spontaneous lift offs bound for the sun or something.

In fact, as I reported, I got the motor swapped out and it's performed brilliantly all morning, apart from when we took it outside (there was no wind) my son lifted off, and it just zoomed skyward and disappeared over the neighbor's fence.

We reached "Big Chinook Down", and it looks okay (she's a tough old bird) but she's still prone to "going rogue".

Question S026 Owners: have these two behaviors also affected the smaller Chinook??

Toltec21
Toltec21 is offline Find More Posts by Toltec21
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:40 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec21 View Post

We reached "Big Chinook Down", and it looks okay (she's a tough old bird)

Question S026 Owners: have these two behaviors also affected the smaller Chinook??

Toltec21
Hi Toltecs,
I am really happy you are back in the air again and have taught yourself some heli mechanics in the process

Sound like you have a very budding heli pilot on your hands, I wonder what he would be like with one of the small fixed pitch helis

None of my many S026 Chinooks either without gyro or with gyro have shot upwards.

The only problem I have encountered with a friends S026G was it would not keep altitude unless I took the fuselage off and flew it "naked" now that is another flight experience as the throttle becomes very sensitive and it will hit the ceiling very quickly unless you take care.

I tried everything to get that S026G to fly with the fuselage on and nothing worked. There have been a couple of guys on RCG have reported this but when they took the fuselage off it flew fine, so I remain puzzled with that one.
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft