Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:52 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,047 Posts
edited

disregard
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Last edited by Razors edge 29; Nov 13, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:47 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,952 Posts
Hey Paul,

Excellent build! Very cool

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
Kelowna, BC
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Lockspeiser LDA Build

Hello all

Been lurking around on this thread for a while and wanted to share a new build that I have on the go. It's a Lockspeiser LDA, if you google it you'll get a little bit of info on the "one-of" full scale that was built but never went into production. I found a copy of a peanut rubber powered version and thought a indoor model would be a great thing to build. I quickly drew up rough set of plans and started building I plan on putting the AR6400B receiver unit in the plane and have a couple if AS2000 servos in the wing for the ailerons. I need to know if anyone out there knows where I can get my hands on some extension wires for the AS2000 or the connectors so I can make my own extensions? I don't want to cut the wires if I don't have to.. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Steve.
Rootsters is offline Find More Posts by Rootsters
Last edited by Rootsters; Nov 12, 2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: added photos
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:29 AM
Singapore
Joined Nov 2007
358 Posts
Hi Rooster, very nice and interesting design. For extension cable, I think easiest is to cut the cable, just need some soldering then you will have the cable with your preferred length
buratino is offline Find More Posts by buratino
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:54 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,393 Posts
http://rcconnectors.com if you really want extension cables. Me, I would just cut and extend.
Petefoss is offline Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:56 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Nov 2003
1,486 Posts
I tore apart an old VGA cable and found some small gauge wire to make extensions out of. They are not silicone wire, so I would avoid using them if there is repeated moment involved, but they work great so far in permanent installs.

Eclipse_7 is offline Find More Posts by Eclipse_7
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined May 2012
1,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seitz2c View Post
Finally got it done! Maiden went fine. I had to add 4 grams to the nose to hit the CG AUW ended up at 49 grams. I'll add a dummy radial after the nose weight is permantly installed.

Paul
WOW!!!!! I'm planning to do an F3 after I get my Curtis F6-C and Vought 02U-1 Corsair done. That one is beautiful ...

How about a separate thread with LOTS of pictures, drawings and measurements!!!

What did you use for power?

Do you fly outdoors?
TedD60 is offline Find More Posts by TedD60
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsters View Post
Hello all

Been lurking around on this thread for a while and wanted to share a new build that I have on the go. It's a Lockspeiser LDA, if you google it you'll get a little bit of info on the "one-of" full scale that was built but never went into production. I found a copy of a peanut rubber powered version and thought a indoor model would be a great thing to build. I quickly drew up rough set of plans and started building I plan on putting the AR6400B receiver unit in the plane and have a couple if AS2000 servos in the wing for the ailerons. I need to know if anyone out there knows where I can get my hands on some extension wires for the AS2000 or the connectors so I can make my own extensions? I don't want to cut the wires if I don't have to.. Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

Steve.
That thing looks pretty cool Very well done

... but working out the cg must be a nightmare

How much do you expect its going to weigh once its completed?
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:30 PM
Kelowna, BC
Joined Feb 2011
12 Posts
Valiant

'm hoping to come in around the 4oz mark.. The CG was shown on the original Peanut plan that I used fr reference so that will be my starting point.. I may buld a small fscale foam chuck glider to confirm. Thanks for the feedback, I'm hoping to have it done in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
That thing looks pretty cool Very well done

... but working out the cg must be a nightmare

How much do you expect its going to weigh once its completed?
Rootsters is offline Find More Posts by Rootsters
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:28 PM
P. Seitz
United States, IA, Mechanicsville
Joined Jan 2006
547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddshot View Post
WOW!!!!! I'm planning to do an F3 after I get my Curtis F6-C and Vought 02U-1 Corsair done. That one is beautiful ...

How about a separate thread with LOTS of pictures, drawings and measurements!!!

What did you use for power?

Do you fly outdoors?
The F3F was built from a 3view . it was constructed similer to the PT-19 I did a build thread on. the 10 mm motor gear box and radio guts were from a slightly crashed P-51 I bought on EBay.we have a group of fliers that gets together for breakfast and flying every tues. when the weathers nice. In the winter it's Sunday afternoon in the local gym.

Paul
seitz2c is offline Find More Posts by seitz2c
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:35 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
735 Posts
Hi Rootsters!

This might help you, it's a CoG calcutator(any type of wings etc.): http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...02&postcount=1
A fellow RCGroups member was kind enough to recommend it to me in a building-thread and I'm very grateful for that. It's quite complete and allows for quite a lot of factors to be taken into account, while not being especially complicated to use (in worst case, one can restrict to only use it for specific needs).
Chrizz is online now Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Chrizz; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Someplace in "canard addicts" huge canard thread there is a link to a canard specific CoG calculator. You should check out that thread, tons of good canard info.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:02 PM
miataman
Erie Pa.
Joined Oct 2007
671 Posts
Here is a couple of 6400 planes and one hk 415 plane that would have been 6400 if I had another one. The small ones are 16" stingrays the bigger is 24". This design is a great flyer. Anyone interested in indoor 1 cell combat should build one or buy the kit.
JCS
miatamama is offline Find More Posts by miatamama
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,851 Posts
Dang, Sanded down to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seitz2c View Post
I use fanfold blue foam sanded down to 2mm. with 80 grit sandpaper it takes about 5 min to do enough for a 16 " micro. ... Paul
That is a lot of sanding. Have you considered buying, or making a simple planner? One option would be the hot wire and the other would be a sanding tube mounted inside a vacuum chamber, like you may have seen for fine, soft wood. If you like hot wire, I seen where a guy made a simple planner to reduce scrap foam from shipping containers (mostly electronics and furniture boxes - foam padding) to make 2mm thick walk behind glider wings. He did make some thinner, but since he used machine bolts to wrap the wire around, all he has to do is turn the bolt a bit to adjust the gap between the wire and the slide table. Nothing fancy or expensive, but very effective and quick.

Foam Walkalong Glider Preview (5 min 14 sec)

THIN FOAM HOT-WIRE CUTTING PROGRESS REPORT (aka Good Riddence to Shims) (10 min 53 sec)

A video or two for inspiration. Watch for the simple hot wire cutting for super thin foam panels and parts.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Last edited by Tsavah; Nov 15, 2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 03:31 PM
United States, FL, Sebring
Joined Feb 2006
7,456 Posts
Finally, some video of Dr.John's UMX Yak.....

Dr.John's UMX Yak demo (4 min 7 sec)
Joe 1320 is offline Find More Posts by Joe 1320