SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 18, 2003, 12:52 PM
Naperville, IL USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,886 Posts
Read any good books lately?

I have.

Batavia's Graveyard by someone Dash - An excellent account of a nasty mutiny on a Dutch East Indian trading ship in the 1600s. Not only does it cover the mutiny and aftermath, but also describes the Dutch East Indian trade of the time. One of my favorite books in recent memory.

Driving Mr. Albert - Originally when my mom gave me this book, I thought it was a novel. But, it's actually a true story about a cross-country drive to return Einstein's brain to his heirs. Einstein's brain was essentially stolen by the forensic surgeon asked to analyze his brain. A quirky little story worth reading. Favorite (paraphrased) quote by a trademark lawyer in LA, "China? They have no culture. They don't even know who John Wayne is." Sorry, but that line just cracked me up.

Tulipomania - Written by same author as Batavia's Graveyard (Dash?). It's about the tulip bubble in the Netherlands in the 1600s. It doesn't have the same global sweep as Batavia's Graveyard, but still a well written book. I couldn't help but draw parallels with the recent telecom/dot.com bubble.

The Narnia Books by CS Lewis - I'm reading these to the kids (10 and 8 years old). We've been using them as filler while we wait for the next Harry Potter book. They've been fun, relatively easy reads. And, it's fun looking for corellations to bible stories - Lewis was a theologian.

Currently, I'm reading Timequake by Vonnegut. Not really a plot-based novel but a fun read for the Vonnegut fan.

So, what are you reading?

Mitch
Mitch G is offline Find More Posts by Mitch G
Old Apr 18, 2003, 01:26 PM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
What am I reading? I've been reading 3.

The Bear Snores On - A story of a bear who sleeps thru a party in his own lair, but...I won't spoil the ending.

The Little Red Hen (makes a pizza) - A red hen makes a pizza for herself, a dog, a cat and a duck while sippin' chickenweed tea. I think it's a metaphor for human relations (4 animal species) and the use of illegal substances (chickenweed tea).

Little Bunny Foo Foo - a story of a violent bunny who rides thru the forest bopping other creatures on the head. He then gets punished by a fairy without receiving legal representation. A little scary. (I think it's British).

As you can see, either I have a kid or I don't get out much. (actually both are true)

Looks like I'll give Batavia's Graveyard and the Narnia books a shot. Thanks.
Tarpon Shawn is online now Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Last edited by Tarpon Shawn; Apr 18, 2003 at 01:30 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 02:09 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Currently reading 'Cryptonomicon' by Neal Stephenson and it's great. Strange mix of fact and fiction set in WWII and the present day and deals with the Information Revolution and Crypto stuff.

Just finished 'The Princess Bride' by William Goldman, great book for kids plus some hidden stuff for us adults. The film isn't bad either.

The Narnia books are fab First read them as a child but still dig them out once in a while. Once the kids are older try 'Swallows and Amazons' by Arthur Ranson. Kids playing Pirates on the English lakes, super book.

--
Dave
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Last edited by wildpalms; Apr 18, 2003 at 02:11 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 03:43 PM
Pedal Power!
the lake
Joined Oct 2002
1,095 Posts
Quote:
'The Princess Bride'
(running joke) Haven't seen that one.

Prey by Michael Crichton is pretty good. I think they over did the ending.

Didn't like From a Buick 8 by Stephen King at all.

Just finished 3 John Grisham books all very good. Got King of Torts, saving for a road trip.
lakedude is offline Find More Posts by lakedude
Last edited by lakedude; Apr 18, 2003 at 03:48 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2003, 06:08 PM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
A couple of Ellis Peter novels for a good relaxing read. When you earn your living translating heavy technical texts, a little light reading is all you feel like.
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 18, 2003, 08:53 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Besides R/C Groups and my textbooks, I'm reading "Company H, a sideshow to the bigshow." An excellent first person account of the Civil War by a confederate soldier in the Army of Tennessee. I just finished an excellent Yankee acount.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Apr 19, 2003, 12:37 AM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
Just read "Dereliction of Duty" by Lt Col Robert "Buzz" Patterson,USAF (Ret). Interesting to say the least.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Apr 19, 2003, 02:01 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,535 Posts
Just like Don, I am trying to keep up with RC Groups and my studies, but aside from that I'm reading "The Sky Beyond" by Sir Gordon Taylor.. a book about some of the pioneering exploration of Austrailia by air, an autobiography of Gordon Taylor.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 19, 2003, 03:00 AM
Useful Idiot
Asturias, Spain
Joined Mar 2001
3,545 Posts
We're obviously not keeping the moderators busy enough
martin richards is offline Find More Posts by martin richards
Old Apr 19, 2003, 05:50 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,295 Posts
Just finished '48 by James Herbet? a great what if set in London after WWII that has been attacked by a german bio weapon.
Before that Vortex by Larry Bond- War in southen Africa- if you ignore the death toll it is a great weapons story.
Trying but can't get into Red Rabbit By Tom Clancy
Cheers Rich
P.S I'm not a war monger or lover, but I prefer to read about action rather than words-easier to see in my mechanical mind
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Last edited by Large One; Apr 19, 2003 at 05:54 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2003, 05:56 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by martin richards
We're obviously not keeping the moderators busy enough
LOL! Time management sir, my wife drives generally when we go someplace and there is always constitutional time.
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims