Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:40 PM
Grand PooBaa
United States, OH, Springboro
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
Discussion
Scale Modding

Hello!
I am interested in scale flight with micro helis, and have noticed that bodies for this size class are hard to come by unless you want to pay some serious $$. Personally, I'd rather adapt or make my own canopies/bodies on the cheap and not have to worry about damaging a $100 canopy if (when!) something stupid happens. Are you interested in making a canopy/body that resembles the real deal (not just fine scale)? Do you make or want to make scale canopies/bodies for your SR, 130x, or Align 250? This is the thread for you!

I've noticed there isn't a whole lot of talk about this subject, just some occasional mentions on various threads, so I wanted to see if any of you are interested in sharing your projects/ideas/resources. I'm not talking about owning a styrene vacuum former or paying Mr. XYZ to make a custom shell- I'm talking about being innovative with pieces and parts.

I'm currently trying to fit a Jet Ranger shell made for a Blade CX2 onto a SR (see pic). I'm also cobbling together a scale-like body for my Honey Bee, and one for my MCPX (Bell 47!). Please share your projects here.

DISCLAIMER: Okay– I know that some of you promote (loudly) the opinion that if someone doesn't have the money, they shouldn't be trying (or allowed) to do (anything). If that's the case, you should probably take a blood pressure pill or a swig of bourbon and ignore this thread.
TinkerBob is offline Find More Posts by TinkerBob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2015, 08:56 PM
"you'll play to live "
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Sep 2009
1,757 Posts
agreed for hard to find small scale fuselages.I've try lot of brand but never found something that look likes real except for 200 size Hirobo scale fuse, only it's price is somewhat scary. CDN$ 398.96 for a red /white EC145 Rega Body Set !

AC
Alwayscrash is offline Find More Posts by Alwayscrash
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:00 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
490 Posts
I'm in, but don't have ideas right now. It seems my 120SR, it all of its slowness, would make a good scale flyer. There are some bodies out there for it, but seem kind of heavy.

How about a good S-64 Sikorsky sky crane fit for the 120SR? I have no idea how you would put multiple blades on it, but would be cool if you could.
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:10 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,364 Posts
just tried something like this a few weeks ... (days ??? ... .) ago with an MD500 E body
At first I wanted to put it on a V955 (because that frame fit so nicely) - unfortunately I "overlooked" that the main gear is WAY too big.
So I changed plans and tried to put a HFP100 in instead (is the same size frame as the mCPX, so that would probably be "right up your alley" ... ...)

Here the main gear is fine, because its sooo tiny compared to the one on the V955.
Sadly, that did NOT work out as planned either - I "massacred" a frame (that cannot be used for anything anymore now), I "relocated" the tail boom to make it fit in the fuse, I spent a few hours to figure out how to "design" the landing skid

The "parts" actually were only like 5$$ ... (2.72$ for the fuse and 2.o6$ for the skids)
But those five bux are broken now, together with the probably 20h total I put into "trying".

EDIT:
Oh, here's the video of how the "fuse" looked like before I chopped and crashed it ...

Un Masking an MD500 in 3min (2 min 56 sec)

When I finally got to the point where I was trying to fly it, I tried without engaging throttle hold and promptly cut off the tail fin ...
Then I got it to fly (FINALLY - and without the tail, so it didnt really look that much like an MD500 anymore) ... and then it crashed and broke the landing gear in 2 spots ...

Does that bring across why I am NOT really "feeling IT" with the scale modding anymore right now??

(despite this disappointment I have a "Screaming Mimi" fuse on order (THAT however is one of the ones you talked about in the beginning ... ie 75$, so it will most likely just become a "static" model ... ...)

Just in case you are interested, there are a few (the usual suspects, ie Airwolf and A109) fuses for the Esky F150/F300 (from china through AliExpress) ... that might be an option:

http://www.zondahobby.com/index.php

(just play around with the site a little, there are too many different ones to put up the individual links ...)
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: and again ...
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:28 PM
Grand PooBaa
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
HA! That's the spirit!

Love your modding attempt. I stripped the decals off my yellow HBK2 and am mounting fuel tanks and other details to make it look like a kit copter.

I also am looking for a Revell Bell H-47 model to mount a MCPX works in. MASH style!

I think the CX2 JetRanger body will fit the SR if the tail rotor hangs out the back a 1/4". I could also ditch the boom and mount the tail motor on the body…but I'm not that daring. I'll post progress pics, I just picked up the bod at the LHS tonight. Unless you want a UH-1D bod, realistic canopies for the SR are pricey (sorry Darth, love your work, and understand the price).
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:32 PM
Grand PooBaa
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
I'm in, but don't have ideas right now. It seems my 120SR, it all of its slowness, would make a good scale flyer. There are some bodies out there for it, but seem kind of heavy.

How about a good S-64 Sikorsky sky crane fit for the 120SR? I have no idea how you would put multiple blades on it, but would be cool if you could.
No kidding! I think a higher capacity battery and larger blades are in order though. My 120 is pretty docile with the CX2 canopy…I can't imagine having a heavy scale bod on it. The 130X full body does work (ugly color scheme though, still looks like a toy). Perhaps a 1:43 scale Revell kit would work? Hard to find heli models in stores.
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:38 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBob View Post
HA! That's the spirit!

Love your modding attempt. I stripped the decals off my yellow HBK2 and am mounting fuel tanks and other details to make it look like a kit copter.

I also am looking for a Revell Bell H-47 model to mount a MCPX works in. MASH style!

I think the CX2 JetRanger body will fit the SR if the tail rotor hangs out the back a 1/4". I could also ditch the boom and mount the tail motor on the body…but I'm not that daring. I'll post progress pics, I just picked up the bod at the LHS tonight. Unless you want a UH-1D bod, realistic canopies for the SR are pricey (sorry Darth, love your work, and understand the price).
I know, that this is not the purpose of this thread, but as a looker maybe ???

http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/co...323/Itemid,43/

erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: and again ...
Old Jan 03, 2015, 09:43 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
9,204 Posts
Blade had FAI body kit for Mcp-X and works fine sorta scale. Plus they had body kit foe smaller OB-105. MAI has nice body fpr 120 SR kit of MD 530
that looks nice. Align has body kits for 250 size and resonbable. There is V931/ Heli-max MD 530/ Solo=pro Brovo SX . Xieda 9968 Huey etc. Scale is big in Europe but not here. Blade had OB-105 130 x abd it did poorly. Solo-pro has a couple c/p's you never her about. So if you seek you can find some stuff. Problem with scale ie weight. Bigger they get the more of a problem.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Jan 03, 2015, 11:20 PM
Grand PooBaa
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
[QUOTE=dankar04;30371433]Blade had FAI body kit for Mcp-X and works fine sorta scale. Plus they had body kit foe smaller OB-105. MAI has nice body fpr 120 SR kit of MD 530
that looks nice. Align has body kits for 250 size and resonbable. There is V931/ Heli-max MD 530/ Solo=pro Brovo SX . Xieda 9968 Huey etc. Scale is big in Europe but not here. Blade had OB-105 130 x abd it did poorly. Solo-pro has a couple c/p's you never her about. So if you seek you can find some stuff. Problem with scale ie weight. Bigger they get the more of a problem. [/QUOTE

YUP! There sure is a few things out there.

Let's talk about MODDING those to fit other models, since there is a paucity of scale stuff out there for a reasonable price. Do you have something that you have modded to make scale?
Old Jan 03, 2015, 11:22 PM
Grand PooBaa
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
I know, that this is not the purpose of this thread, but as a looker maybe ???

http://www.heli-scale-quality.com/co...323/Itemid,43/

WHOA! Super nice…Now, how could this be scratch built using cheap, available parts on a micro heli?
Old Jan 04, 2015, 12:43 AM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined May 2014
490 Posts
Interesting idea about using a plastic model for a fuse. I did a search on ebay for "s-64 skycrane plastic model" and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Re...item2c9452e9ca

If you built the box being carried by the heli around the existing heli frame, then you might be able to make it work. Kind of cool thinking about it. You'd be the only kid on the block with one!
HeliFlyer14 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer14
Old Jan 04, 2015, 08:23 AM
United States, WI, Janesville
Joined Apr 2011
404 Posts
MIA has cut down on the models they have, I could only find the 500, the 300 is still on the site but no link to order it. Due to the large main motor the MCPX makes for a good scale model flyer.
weedan is online now Find More Posts by weedan
Old Jan 04, 2015, 10:40 AM
Grand PooBaa
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliFlyer14 View Post
Interesting idea about using a plastic model for a fuse. I did a search on ebay for "s-64 skycrane plastic model" and found this http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Re...item2c9452e9ca

If you built the box being carried by the heli around the existing heli frame, then you might be able to make it work. Kind of cool thinking about it. You'd be the only kid on the block with one!
That's a neat idea. I think I saw someone working on just that project…buried deep in the internet. There's lots of two-seater copters that have been made over the years that could be mimicked using some add-on plastic bits and using a modded stock Blade canopy. Take a look at the pic of the Aerocopter.
Old Jan 04, 2015, 07:02 PM
Grand PooBaa
Joined Oct 2014
156 Posts
SR Ranger update

Here's the progress on the SR/ CX Jetranger mod. It turned out to be a nice weekend project.

1) I removed the tail, main gear, and head. Then, I inserted the chassis into the shell to check for fit. No dice. The gyro was too tight and the front (elevator?) servo didn't have clearance. I also noticed that there wouldn't be any room for a battery. The main gear fit neatly- it cleared the windows with a few microns to spare. See the red arrow.

2) I heated the shell gently with a soldering iron, letting the pressure of the ill-fitting servo deform the plastic to its shape (yellow arrow). For the gyro, I tried different mounting points with no luck. Unfortunately, I had to cut some windows for the gyro plug and corners of the unit. Not to bad- I might make a cover for it later, or not.

3) I was tempted to mount the tail motor onto the shell. Its pretty stiff, and not having the boom would allow for a more exact position. However, the tail motors on an SR get HOT, so I decided to use a metal mount and 1/3 length piece of a stock aluminum boom to mount the motor on the end of the tail. The aluminum will act as a heat sink. I thought about cutting the tail so the motor would be in the correct prototype location, but I think it would have really weakened the shell, requiring some type of glue/bracing. The ID of the shell tail is slightly larger than the OD of the boom, so I made some bushings out of electrical tape. Then, I inserted the stub boom and cemented it in by injecting hot glue into the sides of the tail (red arrow). Nice and firm hold. I don't think the boom will get hot enough to melt the glue. If it does, I'll pin the boom to the shell with a carbon rod.

4) Skids- after installing the main gear and head, I mounted a pair of Honey Bee King skids (I have several pairs!) to the SR mounts. I had to drill holes in the braces to match the stock locations. The larger skids give enough room to Velcro mount a battery to the belly of the bird. I now have a lighter SR with a better CG than stock!

5) Head- I reattached the servo links. They fit almost perfectly. I have to heat up the shell and stretch some spots. The elevator and aileron rub.
Last edited by TinkerBob; Jan 04, 2015 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Added text
Old Jan 05, 2015, 09:05 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
9,204 Posts
Looks good.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04