New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Vulcaneer
United States, NH, Meredith
Joined Feb 2014
18 Posts
Discussion
Anyone try Bondic for foam or plastic repairs?

Bondic - Liquid Plastic Welder - How Strong can it hold?? (0 min 49 sec)

Uses same technology as in the dental industry for curing plastic tooth filling material. Looks pretty good to me, for some difficult applications. Although expensive. But for those situations where you cannot buy a replacement part, or need to buildup a surface that may have chipped out, or maybe fill a stripped screw hole. No heat need be applied to join foam surfaces together. Hmmm....
Vulcaneer is offline Find More Posts by Vulcaneer
Last edited by Vulcaneer; Jul 15, 2015 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2015, 06:11 AM
Find More Posts by Granted
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,755 Posts
This is UV-cure resin and buying it this way works out to $2750.00 per kilo.

Use epoxy and save your money.
Granted is offline Find More Posts by Granted
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Piece of cake to get a strong bond to threaded steel. Seriously. I'd have rather seen them join two smooth surfaces. Or HDPE.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:38 PM
Joined Feb 2014
18 Posts
BONDIC - YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS - BEST GLUE EVER! (3 min 29 sec)

Maybe this video might help to better understand? A quad copter, but my imagination leads toward foamies too.

I have no affiliation what-so-ever. Just thought it might be a helpful product to somebody. And yes I agree the unit cost is high. But since you might use only a tenth of a gram at a time for many repairs, it is certainly affordable, as a repair tool. And unlike epoxy's, it generates no heat, and dries in 4 seconds.

I simply asked if anyone on this forum tried it. If those who have not tried it, don't see a need, good for you. However, you have not answered the original question now, have you?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:46 PM
Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Aug 2009
12,953 Posts
Quote:
Maybe this video might help to better understand? A quad copter, but my imagination leads toward foamies too.
Funny-looking quadcopter....
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:57 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcaneer View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gvSlj0k4tk

I have no affiliation what-so-ever. Just thought it might be a helpful product to somebody. And yes I agree the unit cost is high. But since you might use only a tenth of a gram at a time for many repairs, it is certainly affordable, as a repair tool. And unlike epoxy's, it generates no heat, and dries in 4 seconds.

I simply asked if anyone on this forum tried it. If those who have not tried it, don't see a need, good for you. However, you have not answered the original question now, have you?
No, as a matter of fact I didn't, but I think I raised a legitimate question. I didn't badmouths it. I merely said, and still say, that the ad footage didn't prove any significant strength in the product.

Although I'll grant you that it would take longer to apply and dry, I'll bet you could duplicate that feat with Elmer's. They didn't stick to anything slippery, they didnt demonstrate any more strength tnah any other decent plastic glue.

I just wrote a blog post on glue, humorous I hope, but serious... I have a big problem finding glue to stick some dissimilar plastics together with. Almost nothing will stick to HDPE and it's everywhere.

So if they had showed me they could do that there'd be an order of it on the way now.

So I didn't mean to be rude. I was just kind of disappointed.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:24 PM
Joined Feb 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Funny-looking quadcopter....
Excuse me. I mis-typed. Meant helicopter. Does that make a difference, really?

I am happy that you don't need the stuff. And can repair your propellers and blades, foam wings, fuselages, motor mounts, cowls, etc. in the field with Elmers.

Equally happy you have no interest in the product. And based on the lack of responses, it appears nobody has tried it. Or has any interest in it. A you tube search brings up many different applications. Some successes and some failures, too.

I do plan on trying it tho'. But before I take it flying, I'll be trying it on my sailboats.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:26 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Apology not good enough for ya? Happy gluing.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:35 PM
Joined Feb 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowJeff View Post
I have a big problem finding glue to stick some dissimilar plastics together with. Almost nothing will stick to HDPE and it's everywhere.

So if they had showed me they could do that there'd be an order of it on the way now.
Oh...Was there an apology? Guess I missed it. Not that you owe any apology. Except for maybe a highjack. No biggie tho. But you did bring up some good application questions that might add to the discussions.

You make a good point about dis-similar materials. But I kinda think this product will do that. Why do I think that? Because the dentist filled my tooth with it (or a reasonable facsimile) and it has stayed bonded for years. And ahs held up to years of compressive torture.

You know? For $23 you can find out if this will do what you want. Or you can not try it, and remain searching. And write your blog without complete and up to date research. But this stuff is clearly no a GLUE, as stated by the manufacturer.
Last edited by Vulcaneer; Jul 16, 2015 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,891 Posts
I agree with Jeff. Spending 23x more money for no advantage just doesn't make sense. I thought CA was expensive, but this reorganizes the whole expense curve there. Unless there's something it does 23x better it's not on the menu.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins