New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2015, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by Lt. Selfridge
United States, LA, Houma
Joined Jul 2015
1 Posts
Discussion
New guy here and to R/C

Hello all. New guy here. Looking to get our first plane and trying to decide which one. I'm planning on a RTF; either the super cub or the sport cub.
Edit: I had asked other questions about these choices but I read another thread and had my other questions answered. I guess now just personal preference on a 3 or 4 channel plane. But still open to suggestions. Looking forward to learning more about this new hobby.
Lt. Selfridge is offline Find More Posts by Lt. Selfridge
Last edited by Lt. Selfridge; Jul 15, 2015 at 05:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2015, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,780 Posts
Welcome to the coming addiction! If it was me starting over again, 4 channel all the way.
I learned on a 3 channel with rudder/elevator on the right stick. And to this day I still fumble at times remembering the rudder is now on the left. Seems when taxing down the runway, no amount of aileron will make the plane turn...
Glacier Girl is online now Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jul 15, 2015, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
I'm gonna second GG's suggestion although I don't have her experience. I am one of many who started with the Sport Cub S (just this spring) and I don't think there is a better choice on the market. It's not a bad idea to learn to fly either 3 channel or 4, but you can do that on the Sport Cub S and still be training the correct thumb for the correct activity.

Do be aware that Sport Cub S motors don't have infinite service life. However, when you wear one out, they're cheap and easy to replace. And the upside to those little motors is that they are very light. When (not if) you crash, light weight and slow speeds are your very best friends.

And Welcome!
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:22 AM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,891 Posts
I am going to disagree totally on the 4-channel thing. When you are flying the plane you really don't care which one your plane is. In fact if someone else was to take the plane off and hand you the transmitter you might not be able to tell whether the plane you are flying is 3 or 4 channel. It doesn't matter a bit which surface each channel is connected to. It only matters what the plane does when you twiddle the stick.

Ground handling is the exception. Five minutes taxiing around is all you need to set that straight forever. It's not an adjustment you need to worry about. And it only matters on the ground. But you're only going straight and making sloppy turns. It's not like you're racing a sports car on a twisty, narrow track. It's simple stuff, simply learned.

Was flying my UM T-28 yesterday in some VERY bumpy air. Yikes! I'd be on approach, hit a bubble and instantly the plane was in knife-edge 10 feet off the ground. I had tons of fun and burned 4 batteries through it. Don't be that guy when you're learning to fly. The Sport Cub S is a great plane but it's small. For your first flights you need NO WIND. My grin would have been your total panic!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Last edited by Rockin Robbins; Jul 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 03:10 PM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,193 Posts
I like the sport cub with safe for the 4 channel but from the size It would be a champ or a short cub with s. There's not much size change between the two planes fly about same space or wind good plane to fly near house. Cost of repair and a crash in grass plane most time ok.
papadwight is online now Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Grass Take Off And Landing
Old Jul 15, 2015, 04:55 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I am going to disagree totally on the 4-channel thing. When you are flying the plane you really don't care which one your plane is. In fact if someone else was to take the plane off and hand you the transmitter you might not be able to tell whether the plane you are flying is 3 or 4 channel. It doesn't matter a bit which surface each channel is connected to. It only matters what the plane does when you twiddle the stick.

Ground handling is the exception. Five minutes taxiing around is all you need to set that straight forever. It's not an adjustment you need to worry about. And it only matters on the ground. But you're only going straight and making sloppy turns. It's not like you're racing a sports car on a twisty, narrow track. It's simple stuff, simply learned.

Was flying my UM T-28 yesterday in some VERY bumpy air. Yikes! I'd be on approach, hit a bubble and instantly the plane was in knife-edge 10 feet off the ground. I had tons of fun and burned 4 batteries through it. Don't be that guy when you're learning to fly. The Sport Cub S is a great plane but it's small. For your first flights you need NO WIND. My grin would have been your total panic!
I guess that kinda depends on whether or not you use your rudder on your 4 channel plane in flight. It can be a handy skill - but its under your left thumb.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by BoxCar31
United States, NC, Arden
Joined May 2015
76 Posts
The instructors at my field

Quote:

The instructors at my field state too many pilots have no clue on how to do a coordinated turn as rudder use isn't taught by many.
BoxCar31 is offline Find More Posts by BoxCar31
Old Jul 15, 2015, 07:12 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31 View Post
The instructors at my field state too many pilots have no clue on how to do a coordinated turn as rudder use isn't taught by many.
The one and only instruction I ever got from a genuine RC instructor - and this over the phone - was, "Use your rudder." I started flying better immediately.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,891 Posts
On the micro T-28 the roll rate isn't fast with aileron alone. With help from the rudder it's right snappy! And it needed to be yesterday. It was a blast.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:13 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,372 Posts
Quote:
On the micro T-28 the roll rate isn't fast with aileron alone. With help from the rudder it's right snappy! And it needed to be yesterday. It was a blast.
The day I roll one of them - any of them - for the first time is going to be blast, I guarantee it. Assuming I start and finish with the plane in the air.

My first loop is still bright in my memory, but I'm getting half decent at loops now.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Selfridge View Post
Hello all. New guy here. Looking to get our first plane and trying to decide which one. I'm planning on a RTF; either the super cub or the sport cub.
Edit: I had asked other questions about these choices but I read another thread and had my other questions answered. I guess now just personal preference on a 3 or 4 channel plane. But still open to suggestions. Looking forward to learning more about this new hobby.
depends if you are talking about the parkzone sport cub, or the hobbyzone sport cub S...
The parkzone plane is bigger and is red and white, it is not a good plane for a beginner unless you are buddy boxing with an experienced pilot.
The hobbyzone plane is the little blue and white one, its one of the best beginner planes here is right now....

THe super cub S is only a 3ch plane, and you cant upgrade it to 4ch without completely replacing the electronics (new ESC and receiver) and then you lose SAFE. The plane still flies great without SAFE, but its something to be aware of.

The sport cub S flies like a 3ch plane in beginner mode, but at the flip of a switch, its a 4ch sport plane....
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur