New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
Scale Foam Flyer
United States, AR, Cabot
Joined Oct 2007
3,296 Posts
It works because if you have the flap servos mirror each other, then they will operate like ailerons. You want the flap servos to move the flaps in the same direction, so you have a few options: Mount them with the same physical orientation (which has been done here).....open up one of your flap servos, and reverse it electrically by swapping around a few wires.....buy a servo reverser (least attractive idea)....or plug each servo into a different channel and mix it. Positioning them with equal orientation is the smartest way, unless you are gonna mix your flaps with ailerons, as you would in some applications. The makers of this Icon made it easy, and just molded the servo pockets to have the flap servos "agree". Its a good setup.

-CC
Cubcrazy is online now Find More Posts by Cubcrazy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Z Cub Floats are here!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by Renfield
above us only sky
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Jan 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post
It works because if you have the flap servos mirror each other, then they will operate like ailerons. You want the flap servos to move the flaps in the same direction, so you have a few options: Mount them with the same physical orientation (which has been done here).....open up one of your flap servos, and reverse it electrically by swapping around a few wires.....buy a servo reverser (least attractive idea)....or plug each servo into a different channel and mix it. Positioning them with equal orientation is the smartest way, unless you are gonna mix your flaps with ailerons, as you would in some applications. The makers of this Icon made it easy, and just molded the servo pockets to have the flap servos "agree". Its a good setup.

-CC
Brilliant explanation of what I discovered when I cut flaps for my PZ Icon. I cut them like you want to see them, Mr. B. Then after discovering that the flaps worked like ailerons, I re-cut one.

("Hehehe, he said cut one!" "Shut up, Beavis.")

g
Renfield is online now Find More Posts by Renfield
Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM
Find More Posts by rikybob
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubcrazy View Post

-CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
Brilliant explanation of what I discovered when I cut flaps for my PZ Icon. I cut them like you want to see them, Mr. B. Then after discovering that the flaps worked like ailerons, I re-cut one.

("Hehehe, he said cut one!" "Shut up, Beavis.")

g

Thanx for the explanation there C/C!

Yah, as I may have mentioned I'm still new to airplanes and find it fascinating that after a build that they DON'T fall out of the sky like a bag of wet mice!

I figured since I was shorted on the clevis pins some poor Chinese soul must have got the mold backwards!

My two other flap aircraft are SINGLE servo critters so's I just didn't know!

But I'm like an old lady fartin'. I just put it out there warts and all and make an ass of myself whenever I can!

Check out my Youtube channel if you are so inclined. Do a search with the word "crash" and enjoy!

(I said "fart". Heehehehe)

All the best!

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Yesterday at 01:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Thomas B
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,891 Posts
Got two great flights in the big Icon today in perfect water conditions at our club float fly at Lake Worth near Fort Worth. Also two Dynam PBY flights and two Carbon Z Carbon Cub on floats flights.

Pictures coming!
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Yesterday, 07:56 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
Got two great flights in the big Icon today in perfect water conditions at our club float fly at Lake Worth near Fort Worth. Also two Dynam PBY flights and two Carbon Z Carbon Cub on floats flights.

Pictures coming!
Cool!

(It didn't happen if it wasn't of viddy but pix will do )

b
Old Yesterday, 08:03 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,597 Posts
Nearing the end.....

I used the servo tool to center servo's prior to the installs on all 5. Smug I was that I wouldn't have to dick with them.

Plugged up all the servos and they were all approximately 1/2 mile off! Grrrr!

Pulled ALL the horns on the servo's re centered and rather than using the water shield as supplied I used "wing tape" and ran the length of servo wire and covered the servos.

I could actually maiden the thing tomorrow but I'm going to wait until I get the new servo next week for the retracts.

In the mean time She's up on the wall....

All the best!

b
Old Today, 07:48 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Nearing the end.....

I used the servo tool to center servo's prior to the installs on all 5. Smug I was that I wouldn't have to dick with them.

Plugged up all the servos and they were all approximately 1/2 mile off! Grrrr!

Pulled ALL the horns on the servo's re centered and rather than using the water shield as supplied I used "wing tape" and ran the length of servo wire and covered the servos.

I could actually maiden the thing tomorrow but I'm going to wait until I get the new servo next week for the retracts.

In the mean time She's up on the wall....

All the best!

b
Looking good Brian!

I like your wallflowers.
Old Today, 07:58 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfield View Post
Looking good Brian!

I like your wallflowers.
Nice!

Ummm gonna need you to clean up the ole hobby room.

Leave that old Coke rack in there though!

All the best!

b
Old Today, 08:42 AM
above us only sky
Joined Jan 2006
1,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikybob View Post
Nice!

Ummm gonna need you to clean up the ole hobby room.

Leave that old Coke rack in there though!

All the best!

b
Oh heck yes. It's awful in there! I see the mess, shrug and go flying.

But the cleanup began in earnest shortly after that photo.