Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:44 AM
Find More Posts by beaver06054
United States, MI, Adrian
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
Discussion
Fish tailing problems

Hey guys,

I am new to motorcycles. I just got a thunder tiger fm1e and put one of the NF Hydraulic Steering Shock X260 with hard springs and in a straight away it holds good. However when I do a turn and accelerate the bike fish tails a lot. I see a lot of you tubes with motorcycles accelerating fast with no problems. I need a front break too but would at least like to get the steering figured out first.

I am told the Nuova bikes don't have this problem with just the NF Hydraulic Steering Shock X260. What makes the 2 bikes different in the respect?

Thanks for your help
beaver06054 is offline Find More Posts by beaver06054
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:06 AM
Find More Posts by DLAWW
DLAWW
United States, CA, Gardena
Joined Dec 2005
1,034 Posts
Is the body touching the ground, that's one of many reasons it will fish tail in a turn. Other reasons and any one can add to this:
2. Grip
3. Triple clamps out of line, or cracked.
4. Oil is to light in dampner or not enough.
5. Something loose on front end or back end check screws all around bike.
DLAWW is offline Find More Posts by DLAWW
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:13 AM
Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
1,155 Posts
Stock tires? If so thats probably the problem.
dragbikebam is offline Find More Posts by dragbikebam
Old Mar 25, 2016, 01:05 PM
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I think the front fork area/shocks have more movement than I'd like. Don't know if I can do much about that.

I have the side wire to stop the bike from leaning all the way over. Not sure if anything is rubbing.

I have stock tires on it.

The hydraulic steering shock may very well not have enough oil in it. Never would have thought of that. It comes with a clear oil. What would you recommend? Anything I could pick up local?

Of course I could use a front break too.

Is the Nuova 509 electric a good bike stock?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 03:28 PM
Find More Posts by slawsonb
Bruce
Palmdale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
2,925 Posts
Change the tires to something better.
slawsonb is offline Find More Posts by slawsonb
Old Mar 25, 2016, 03:46 PM
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver06054 View Post
Guys,

Thanks for the input. I think the front fork area/shocks have more movement than I'd like. Don't know if I can do much about that.

I have the side wire to stop the bike from leaning all the way over. Not sure if anything is rubbing.

I have stock tires on it.

The hydraulic steering shock may very well not have enough oil in it. Never would have thought of that. It comes with a clear oil. What would you recommend? Anything I could pick up local?

Of course I could use a front break too.

Is the Nuova 509 electric a good bike stock?

Thanks again.
15-30wt. Rc shock oil in the damper. 509 standard is an excellent durable bike thats way better than the old TTE. Only thing I would change on a stock 509 are the wheels to the aluminum NF style if your running in a parking lot . Stock wheels are too light and break easy. You could also just replace the nf rims with the GRP complete wheel with hard insert for track racing. It can also be converted to a nitro very easy if you want too but yeah its perfect for a beginner on a budget and can be hopped up in time.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
Great!

Thanks again!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 06:34 PM
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
I found some things loose in the front fork. I think that helped a lot. I notice sometimes when the bike wipes out the steering needs a slight sub trim. I have a plastic horn on there right now. I wonder if it is flexing a bit? Do you guys run a metal one?
Old Mar 25, 2016, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by z_dad
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
364 Posts
It's common to have the fork triples (the original plastic ones especially) twist a bit in a crash. This makes the fork legs come out of alignment and you need to readjust the steering to go staight. There is no cheap easy fix for this. Best way is to get hold of a good aftermarket fork with aluminium triples (just about anyone will fit without much trouble)
While scanning the internet for a used fork, buy new wheels. As you probably don't want to spend too much at this stage, it's adviseable that you go for a set of PMT200s' to glue to your old wheels.
Best over all tires would be Roadies soft, or b1 but then you'll need spokes and hubs too.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Mar 26, 2016, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by AntDX316
Joined Sep 2014
874 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver06054 View Post
Hey guys,

I am new to motorcycles. I just got a thunder tiger fm1e and put one of the NF Hydraulic Steering Shock X260 with hard springs and in a straight away it holds good. However when I do a turn and accelerate the bike fish tails a lot. I see a lot of you tubes with motorcycles accelerating fast with no problems. I need a front break too but would at least like to get the steering figured out first.

I am told the Nuova bikes don't have this problem with just the NF Hydraulic Steering Shock X260. What makes the 2 bikes different in the respect?

Thanks for your help
People were making fun of me for making my bike like a real bike and making the suspension equal front and rear for rebound when pushed at the center. I never used an RC bike but it was super easy and I wheelie control no problem even in a turn.

If your bike suspension isn't setup right, it could be the reason for your problems.
AntDX316 is offline Find More Posts by AntDX316
Old Mar 26, 2016, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by edi.winter
Tirol
Joined Jul 2009
1,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_dad View Post
It's common to have the fork triples (the original plastic ones especially) twist a bit in a crash. This makes the fork legs come out of alignment and you need to readjust the steering to go staight. There is no cheap easy fix for this. Best way is to get hold of a good aftermarket fork with aluminium triples (just about anyone will fit without much trouble)
While scanning the internet for a used fork, buy new wheels. As you probably don't want to spend too much at this stage, it's adviseable that you go for a set of PMT200s' to glue to your old wheels.
Best over all tires would be Roadies soft, or b1 but then you'll need spokes and hubs too.
Yes ... and this is the point when you wonder if you should get a new modern bike
Before modifying that bike and spending $$, check if you like RC Biking and then go
for a DeanTech, KP, RG, NF or a JABBER. Make sure it is a bike designed 2011 or later.
edi.winter is offline Find More Posts by edi.winter
Old Mar 26, 2016, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by Kev71H
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edi.winter View Post
Yes ... and this is the point when you wonder if you should get a new modern bike
Before modifying that bike and spending $$, check if you like RC Biking and then go
for a DeanTech, KP, RG, NF or a JABBER. Make sure it is a bike designed 2011 or later.
I agree.

Fishtailing. 120% recommend tires upgrade. Start with extra soft. These bikes change so much with GOOD grip to the pavement. It is required to get good rubber to handle well.

Kevin
RCMCC
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Mar 26, 2016, 01:51 PM
Joined Jun 2013
41 Posts
Cool! Yeah I think I am definitely going to keep driving rc motorcycles as they are a blast. I definitely am considering maybe the NF 509 electric. Not sure when this came out but it seems to be a slightly better bike from a budget standpoint but still looks like it has decent quality. I would really like to get the NF 601 but its just too expensive right now. I have never had a front brake as well and would look forward to that. My shocks aren't all the great or at least are not moving right. Probably from all the crashes.
Old Mar 26, 2016, 05:09 PM
Find More Posts by z_dad
Kungsangen, Stockholm, Sweden
Sweden, Upplands-Bro Municipality
Joined Dec 2011
364 Posts
Do consider KP bikes from an economics standpoint. Always good enough for parking lot racing and reasonable performance for a budget racing superbike. IMO, they have their biggest issue with fork precision, coming up to top level racing.
Any used KP, from KP12-kp15 is a cheap, real simple, easy to maintain, tough bike to accompany any beginner all the way to the racetrack. Ofcourse there is newer bikes and bikes with more absolute performance but i doubt you can quantify that for your own racing development.
z_dad is offline Find More Posts by z_dad
Old Mar 26, 2016, 06:12 PM
Memphis, TN USA
Joined Apr 2009
1,155 Posts
From a design standpoint the 509 is basically the same as what you have but with a flexible frame and better forks. No super advantage other than a polymer frame which is good when crashing hard. Its a good basher bike. If your really serious by all means get a newer thin design for max performance. I just like the versatility of the 509 being nitro or electric easily. If your not going to really race the bikes I have found any bike that works well is fun regardless of design or whatever.