New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2016, 09:33 PM
Find More Posts by DonRhone
Canada, BC, Terrace
Joined Mar 2014
517 Posts
Discussion
Hobby Zone Corsair SAFE - how good a trainer?

Was checking out the latest RC planes in the local hobby shop and met another RC flyer there.

I has a few planes made by Horizon Hobby and went the route of starting with an Apprentice S and later bought a Corsair SAFE plane as his first warbird and has now moved on to nitro planes.

Anyway, he has a story about his Corsair S which if true is kind of scary. He had flown the Corsair a few times before the first incidence. It appears the Corsair can on occasion loose its signal, depending upon your height at the time of the first occurrence he had enough height that he was just able to regain control and ended up making a rough landing, which knocked out one of the landing gear mounts right out of the wing. He did a recheck of the plane and found that he had not control. The plane had somehow lost its binding. He repaired the landing gear and the next couple of flights were uneventful then once again as he was flying the Corsair he once again lost the signal between the plane and the receiver and the plane was on its own. He had no control and the plane was making circles and slowly decending then went into a dive and the plane was lost in the bush and trees of the adjacent forest.
He advises me that he has found out since that this is a known failure of the receiver that Horizon has yet to admit.

He contacted a number of owners of Corsair S planes that encountered this problem and only a few had obtained replacement aircraft from Horizon.

Seems to be the luck of the draw when you contact Horizon.

They like to call it pilot error and not admit their product has flaws. Not sure what the failure rate is, but if you are one of the unfortunate it is very unsettling.

He bought another Corsair plane and replaced the receiver with an orange receiver that came with the gyro. While he really liked the plane , but does not trust the Spectrum receiver with SAFE that come with the HH Corsair SAFE.

This news did sound so familiar, I bought a Corsair Safe last year, had a couple of flights with it. The last flight the plane just stopped taking and radio commands and went into a spiro with me holding the panic button as it spiraled and crashed.

I phoned Horizon Hobby and the tech that I reached told me it was pilot error and that a novice pilot like myself should not have been flying a warbird like the Corsair S as it was not meant for novice flyers.

By coincidence my plane has sat since last year and I will certainly give it another try, hopefully without the same results as the last flight. The plane was repaired with a number of replacement parts.
DonRhone is offline Find More Posts by DonRhone
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2016, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by JonCM
Joined Aug 2014
465 Posts
I learned to fly rc on a corsair s solo no one available to teach me. I started with a computer sim called real flight. My radio tx is a dx9 not a cheap one but I do not have to worry about not pointing the radio at the model creating a dead space.

All I've ever used are spektrum rx and have never had a single issue. All my crashing has been flier error.

I've seen people using cheaper radios with nice futaba rx and crashed by pointing the antenna at the model then blaming the "crappy futaba" rx...

Anyway, I personally think that there is a lot of myth and hype trying to cover up user error.

The corsair s is a low difficulty warbird but its a warbird still. My advice from someone who is self taught on a warbird... get a nice floaty trainer and find a club with an instructor willing to teach you.
JonCM is offline Find More Posts by JonCM
Old Feb 12, 2016, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by Skoot
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Oct 2015
137 Posts
My 2nd plane was a Corsair S. I have about 2-3 hours of air time with it and have never had an issue with connection.

I've flown it pretty far away from me too.

Which transmitter are you using? I'm using a Spektrum DX6.

I personally do not like the SAFE technology on this plane. I loved it on the Sport Cub S, but it acts a bit wonky with this plane.

My first takeoff was in Beginner mode and I nearly crashed because the elevator oscillated so violently. The Sport Cub never acted like that.

I only fly this plane in Expert Mode now and I think it's great.
Skoot is offline Find More Posts by Skoot