http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...64mm_PNF_.html
Boofhead is offline Find More Posts by Boofhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2015, 04:53 AM
Find More Posts by mopetista
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,925 Posts
Hobbyking Skipper XL - Product Video For EDM (2 min 33 sec)

HobbyKing Skipper XL - HobbyKing Daily (5 min 57 sec)
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Sep 30, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by BridgeInspector
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Aug 2014
108 Posts
Doesn't list it as waterproof electronics in the description on the site like the smaller version does. I would hope they are waterproof.

Here is a shot from the video of the ESC and Stewart mentions digital servos but nothing mentioned about waterproof.
BridgeInspector is online now Find More Posts by BridgeInspector
Old Sep 30, 2015, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Model Aero
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,827 Posts
I knew this was coming but it's still a little sad to see our design being sold by Hobby King.

I hope everyone who buys and enjoys this plane gives a little thank you to Laddie Mikulasko, Steve Shumate, and Model Aero. Laddie designed the original North Star on which this plane is based. Steve designed the foamy version called the Polaris, and Model Aero designed this plane (Polaris Ultra) aka Skipper XL.
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Sep 30, 2015, 08:53 AM
Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Park Stormer
United States, NJ, Brooklawn
Joined Jul 2008
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model Aero View Post
I knew this was coming but it's still a little sad to see our design being sold by Hobby King.

I hope everyone who buys and enjoys this plane gives a little thank you to Laddie Mikulasko, Steve Shumate, and Model Aero. Laddie designed the original North Star on which this plane is based. Steve designed the foamy version called the Polaris, and Model Aero designed this plane (Polaris Ultra) aka Skipper XL.
They also aren't really undercutting you guys by that much. I just dropped a Polaris XL (which is larger than the HK Skipper XL by a few inches) and all the support kit in the cart, and it's $202. HK wants $195 for theirs (USA East coast warehouse). Shipping not figured into either spec.

One of your Polaris XL in USCG guise has been on my bucket list for a while, think I'm gonna stick with that once I get clearance from the minister of war and fiances (my fiance )

In the mean time, I think a Polaris micro can sneak by, and be a good use for some of the parts sitting in the UMX bone yard
AggressorBLUE is offline Find More Posts by AggressorBLUE
Old Sep 30, 2015, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
United States, MI, Commerce Charter Township
Joined Oct 2013
2,817 Posts
I'm in, just pulled the trigger.. I still fly my original one...

I scored mine for 139 shipped
Jezzejamez is online now Find More Posts by Jezzejamez
Old Sep 30, 2015, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by Thomas Cummings
AIRPLANE!
United States, MI, Williamsburg
Joined Feb 2004
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzejamez View Post
I'm in, just pulled the trigger.. I still fly my original one...

I scored mine for 139 shipped

How did you pull that off, it says $195 (eastern usa warehouse) for me!

Good for you!
Thomas Cummings is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Cummings
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
4,017 Posts
A kit I'm sure.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by mopetista
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
2,925 Posts
now what's the story behind Skipper XL aka Polaris Ultra

Quote:

love that North Star design and all the clones coming since then.

you write that you are a little sad that HK is now selling the Skipper XL, a molded EPO model you designed yourself (you write) and which you stopped selling in 2014

what's sad about it that this model is again available, albeit throuth a different seller?
it's no longer available though your website, and on rcgroups I saw a thread (feb 2014) that you were selling off the Polaris Ultra at that time

So the Chinese company which produced the EPO models for you now prodiveds HK with the models?

it would be interesting to get some more information in this special case IMO how the "cloning" etc. works since that seems to happen pretty often and creates some unease, but lacking nside information I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes

thanks
Clemens (who loves his Skipper / EPO Polaris)
mopetista is offline Find More Posts by mopetista
Last edited by mopetista; Sep 30, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 02:36 PM
Find More Posts by pmisuinas
United States, VA, Springfield
Joined Feb 2000
1,570 Posts
From the Polaris Ultra thread:

"All Polaris designs are based on Laddie Mikulasko's North Star seaplane and Steve Shumate's (jetset44) foamy adaptation of it. All kits produced by Model Aero are done with their blessing.

The Ultra design was done by Model Aero and produced by Lander Technology. Model Aero paid for and owned the molds, period.

As we debated whether to produce more Ultra kits, we discovered that the molds had been sold to HK without our permission. I'm not going to elaborate on how or why that happened. I have no reason to believe HK knew who actually owned the molds. The molds were offered to them, and they bought them.

In the end, Tim at Lander did the right thing and reimbursed us for the lost molds. "

Now you know the rest of the story...
pmisuinas is offline Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Sep 30, 2015, 04:25 PM
Find More Posts by Jim Lee
AMA # 75962
United States, WA, Port Orchard
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Quote:

The last time that I checked your web site, (it's been awhile) the Polaris Ultra was discontinued, Did you reverse that decision? Is the Polaris Ultra now available again?

I had ordered a motor, ESC and Servo's for the Polaris Ultra and was going to order the Polaris Ultra at a later date, but when I went ot order it, It was discontinued.

So, to make a long story short, when HK came out with the SkipperXL I went ahead and ordered it. I really would rather have the Polaris Ultra, but I'll just have to make due with the Skipper XL.

J
Jim Lee is offline Find More Posts by Jim Lee
Last edited by Jim Lee; Sep 30, 2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by Wormboy
Australia, WA, Madeley
Joined Jul 2011
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Every time I see someone flying a Northstar derivitave, whether its a polaris/dragonfly/ultra/skipper etc, I tell them the story and make sure they know about the origins and evolution of the design, without offering any judgements.
Thats my way of saying thanks to Laddie, Steve and the good folks at Model aero.
Then I break out my old faithful scratchbuilt polaris and do high alpha low passes. It still comes out to the field almost everytime I go flying after 4 years of hard service.
Wormboy is offline Find More Posts by Wormboy
Old Sep 30, 2015, 11:55 PM
Find More Posts by covert
Who is John Powers ?
Australia, VIC, Carrum Downs
Joined Jun 2004
273 Posts
Ordered one today. Lets see
covert is online now Find More Posts by covert
Old Oct 01, 2015, 02:19 AM
Find More Posts by compute42
United States, CA, Santa Clarita
Joined Sep 2004
409 Posts
Hmm I'm thinking of ordering the kit… Doing a NTM 3536 1800KV motor on 4s with 80amp esc. Either 8x6 or 8x7 prop.
Perhaps a 80-90mph FPV platform. :-)
compute42 is offline Find More Posts by compute42
Old Oct 02, 2015, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by otterrc
otterrc
USA, FL, Inverness
Joined Jul 2010
5 Posts
I have the kit nearly finished, easy fun build, the group I fly with have several, my thoughts? Made in the USA!
otterrc is offline Find More Posts by otterrc