SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Ron van Sommeren, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eJets View Post
@Furdan
your bench testing must not necessarily generate better results than the munufacturer data as the manufacturing process it self leads to a statistical spread - to take this spread into account and smoothen the manufacturing spread you should have tested at least 5 to 10 motors of the same type - did you?
the mean figuers of the manufacturer resulting from tests over more than one motor of the same type - this is how the quality testing of the mufacturing process is done....

The Iron Loss is only indirect related to the RPM - It is related to the magnetic Cycles and these depends not only on the RPM but also on the numer of magnetic pols.
Further more the CC eCalc does extrapolate the Iron Loss (Io) from the mesured mag. cycles (@ Io Voltage) to the effectiv mag. Cycles (at operational Voltage) by using an adequat mathematic model.

nevertheless your Calc is also well done.....

cheers eJet
Hi eJets
Question 1: Yes, I have tested only one sample
Anyway some data from some manufacturers are not accurate
Question 2: For a given motor, the number of magnetic poles is fixed
Louis
Fourdan is offline Find More Posts by Fourdan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:27 AM
near Zuerich - Switzerland
Joined Sep 2010
144 Posts
Dear Furdan,

your right some data are not accurate as they could be. I observe that they get better and better.
In general - Quality Motor Manufacturer deliver Quality Data.

The Customers are not dumb - If a manufacturer publish "sugarcoated" data the RC community in the forum will unveil this cheats.
So, the publication of inaccurate data does harm the manufacturer most....

cheers Markus
eCalc is offline Find More Posts by eCalc
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 31, 2011, 06:17 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,112 Posts
This prop stall business...how serious is it in actual use? I find myself needing to go to square props (e.g. APC-E 12x12, 14x14) in the calculators to achieve decent (80mph +) pitch speed at low amps for the scale warbirds. Also, how closely does pitch speed correlate to actual flight speed, realizing that variables such as available thrust and airframe drag come into play.

Finally, P-Calc (brantuas) seems to deliver massive thrust numbers. How accurate is this program?
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Oct 31, 2011, 11:42 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Pitch speed on the bench and actual flight speed have no direct correlation; I have some models that won't break 1/2 pitch speed in a vertical dive, and some models that defy hobby grade physics by traveling in steady level flight at 10-15mph faster than pitch speed on the bench.

Bottom line... relying on equations to accurately model drag of a real model aircraft is just not practical, and unless you can do that (CFD/CAD?), then bench pitch speed numbers are only good for rough comparisons (ie. 'if that prop has the same thrust and more pitch speed, it should be faster'). Trial and error testing, and referring to archived data is way a more efficient means of arriving at the best prop choice.

I haven't checked out P-Calc, but Drive Calculator numbers are always very close to the thrust I measure on my stand. Lot's of folks with thrust stands have verified DCalc's accuracy. There are some prop constants that aren't modeled as well as others, but overall DCalc tends to be on the money for what I do.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:24 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,112 Posts
Thanks Kev. Time for me to crawl out of the cave and buy some props to try out
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:02 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,992 Posts
A little better choice for getting rough estimate of static thrust capabilities of various props and at various RPM's is to look them up in the FlyBrushless.com prop database. That will give you some real static thrust numbers that were taken by nice guys that also have some credibility here.

Some don't like to use or even look at static thrust numbers, I consider them to be better than knowing nothing at all. And a good startor intermediate step in the process of finding a good prop.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:14 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
This prop stall business...how serious is it in actual use? I find myself needing to go to square props (e.g. APC-E 12x12, 14x14) in the calculators to achieve decent (80mph +) pitch speed at low amps for the scale warbirds. Also, how closely does pitch speed correlate to actual flight speed, realizing that variables such as available thrust and airframe drag come into play.

Finally, P-Calc (brantuas) seems to deliver massive thrust numbers. How accurate is this program?
With a square prop your acceleration is probably pretty poor.

I would look at the whole power system and select the right battery voltage, motor, ESC & prop combo to reach the desired speed.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler
Old Nov 03, 2011, 04:10 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,112 Posts
Meaning if you needed to throttle up to get out of a bind (e.g. you start to lose control of a low hover and need to fly out of it?)
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:30 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
Meaning if you needed to throttle up to get out of a bind (e.g. you start to lose control of a low hover and need to fly out of it?)
Well, for my style of flying yes ... but I was assuming you were sport flying it.

I really meant just accelerating for take off, or throttling up for a missed runway pass etc. The higher the pitch, the longer rollout you will need before you reach flight speed on takeoff or the harder you will have to hit the throttle on a go around.

I don't think I could even hover a plane with a 12x12 prop. I was trying to hover a 10 pound plane with a 70" wing span and a APC 20x15 prop. At full throttle it would just barely hover. I primarily used that prop for high speed precision acrobatics. It was also sucking down over 3000 watts at full throttle which would kill the battery pretty quick. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for sport flying though. Even at a 4:3 ratio of diameter to pitch it was pretty soft on takeoff and needed quite a bit of throttle and additional runway. At a 1:1 ratio, I imagine it is an even softer rollout.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:47 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,112 Posts
I see...I think. Should I think of a coarse prop as a high gear...low torque high speed?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 05:32 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
Quote:
I see...I think. Should I think of a coarse prop as a high gear...low torque high speed?
Exactly!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 07:03 PM
France, RA, Cormaranche-en-Bugey
Joined Feb 2011
545 Posts
Hi,

Here is the link to my calc (excel sheet):

http://g.rouby.free.fr/tetacalc.php

and the link to my site, where I'll try to write some tutorials, if needed... and if you want to post some comments:

http://aerotrash.over-blog.com/pages...r-6330077.html

My calc works fine with any excel version, and can be used with open office (but without macro).

The purpose of this calc is more like power system optimization, so it might be uneasy to use but can be very accurate.

The electric motor model is similar to Drivecalc's model, but it can also work with a simpler model (like eCalc's model).

The propeller's performance is computed from wind tunnel data (mainly from UIUC website).

- simple aircraft aerodynamics,

- 160 motors database, with accurate motor model, or...
- generic motor model,
- simple motor model (from Kv, Io and R),

- 100 + propellers database,
- in-flight thrust and power, efficiency...

- etc, etc...

Please try it ! nothing commercial about this, just sharing and hoping someone has idea to improve it.

Guillaume
yomgui is offline Find More Posts by yomgui
Old Apr 23, 2014, 09:30 AM
USA, IL, Oak Lawn
Joined Apr 2007
1,454 Posts
the issue I have with ecalc is that even if I put in the req setup by the motor manufacture it always comes back that either watts to high or amps to high.
Example is rimfire 50cc 22 x 8 prop on 12S 30/45C batterys. You get this.
Motor @ Maximum
Current: 161.14 A
Voltage: 40.39 V
Revolutions*: 8707 rpm
electric Power: 6508.9 W
mech. Power: 5976.2 W
Efficiency: 91.8 %
est. Temperature: 74 C
165 F
Thrawn150 is offline Find More Posts by Thrawn150
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ElectriStar and me
Old Apr 23, 2014, 12:16 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
897 Posts
Max surge current for motor is 135, max cont. is 110. Your setup pulls 160+. So you get a warning. Simple to understand that isn't it?

Either e-calc is not calculating right, due to incorrect parameter input, or manf is lying about capabilities of the motor.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Last edited by Mike Dubovsky; Apr 23, 2014 at 12:23 PM.