HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2014, 03:57 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Discussion
P-7 Airfoil or plans

Well I think I have to start over.....
The wing on Brian's P-7 is just sanded too thin from the factory. It blocks out, Ok... but will be less than a winner when the clear goes on.

Where can i get plans to get cores cut ?... or templates to modify for the "wrap " style sheeting I did in the deception ?

I want to feather cut as well to side step the training edge stock disaster called aileron stock.

I know Eueka cuts em but I hate to order a set just to throw them in the trash.

Any Leads Team ?

Kg
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:02 PM
R_G
Wanna Hover? Fly a Heli!
United States, PA, Farrell
Joined May 2010
679 Posts
Not sure how close the P7 airfoil is to the P8, but maybe this might help.

The file is too big for an attachment.

Ralph
R_G is online now Find More Posts by R_G
Old Aug 24, 2014, 06:08 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
that will give me the root.... I could probably fake it to the tip profile. I have thought about just putting the #8 wing on it... I think the 7 is smaller though.

thanks for the network.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 07:58 PM
SoCal
Joined Feb 2004
398 Posts
P7 is the same as P6. you can get cores from RCAir.
TonyF is offline Find More Posts by TonyF
Old Aug 25, 2014, 09:37 AM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
I could loft the root in AutoCAD. I would need a top view of the P-7 wing and wing tip length front to back.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:05 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
1,876 Posts
Kevin,

Not sure what the Lowe P6 and P7 plans look like but often the American classics had a thicker percentage tip foil than their roots. I presume this was to help avoid tip stalls at low speed.

On the other hand, from what I've seen, the Japanese were pretty consistent in keeping their foils constant in percentage thickness from root to tip.

Neither might matter much but I thought I should mention it nonetheless. Mark Radcliff might be able to help with the wing info if you can't get what you need.

Cheers, David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:25 PM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
347 Posts
Dr David to the rescue...... woop woop

I agree with the thicker tip theory.. and would vote for thin tip...... maybe thats worth exercise.
I am tempted to slice and trace but was hoping for a more accurate approach.
Good point on Radcliff, I have my attorney Doug W. on it now.

Mr Roguedog, I have the root but not the tip, with David's history lesson on the tip maybe we should loft the root the just reduce equally for the tip shape.....?

I'm up for a thin tip #7... if nothing else just for the experiment......

BRIAN , THIS MEANS NO SLOW AND LOW.......I.E. camarillo 2012 !
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:01 AM
West Coast Director, CPA
Simi Valley, California
Joined Jan 2010
776 Posts
Kevin,
The Vertigo shares the exact same planform of the P6/P7, but has a different airfoil. The Vertigo root and tip thickness are the same, it'low speed high AOA handling is great. Given that the P7's airfoil is a much more forgiving airfoil in that respect, you should not have any trouble with it with the same thickness root and tip.
PS I have not measured and done the math, but the Mk 2 Calibrated Eyeball seems to think that the P7 is in fact same root and tip thickness

Robert
Vertigo II is offline Find More Posts by Vertigo II
Old Aug 26, 2014, 02:59 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
361 Posts
Kevin,
Sent you a email about paint.

Scott
patternpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Old Aug 26, 2014, 04:09 PM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Kevin,

Since I didn't have the P-7 root template I used the P-8. I used the outline of the root wing and compensated for 1/16" sheeting.

After lofting, the tip template I ended up with is approx. 3/16" thinner than what I measured from the wing tip detail on the plan. The tip detail on the p-8 plan says the thickness is 1 1/2" but measured 1 5/8" using the Photoshop ruler.
If you go by what he plan says the thickness is supposed to be, then my loft is only 1/16" thinner. Negligible IMO.

The tip from this loft has the same airfoil profile as the root.

If I had the P-7 root template I can do the same for it.

So here's what I came up with -
Last edited by Roguedog; Aug 27, 2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2014, 10:19 PM
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
457 Posts
Kevin,

I hope this is what you where asking me for.

I went ahead and adjusted the P-8 root and tip profiles to use 1/32" balsa sheeting and included the round leading edge as you asked. I put notes on the plan ignore number 5 also the pdf doesn't really reflect the 1/32" reduction. The AutoCAD file clearly shows the difference.

Here are the files. Do with then as you wish. If you need something changed or this is not what you wanted let me know and I will make adjustments as needed.

files - jpg, pdf, and an AutoCAD DWG zipped in a RAR file. If you need zip let me know
Last edited by Roguedog; Oct 02, 2014 at 10:30 PM.