Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Build Log
MIG-15 Pusher Prop

The wing is the only think I have salvaged from the EDP Mig-15

I am going to use this wing on a new Mig-15 I have re-designed as a pusher

This one should be a fairly quick and easy build and only uses 1 sheet of Depron and 3/4 sheet of MPF for the bendy bits ... AND ... if you want wing tanks a bit of 50 mm blue foam (or similar)

Wing span is 1000 mm (39.37 inches) length (shortened a little) 920 mm (36.22 inches)

I will be using:

D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor with 6 x 4 prop

TURNIGY Plush 40amp Speed Controller

HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servos

Only problem I foresee is getting the CG right without adding weight or a large battery ... with having the motor right at the back

I am going to try it without a rudder ... BUT ... it may need one for ground handling as I will be doing this one as a belly / grass slide (as usual ) rudder can always be added later

Lockey
Lockey is online now Find More Posts by Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; May 23, 2014 at 06:35 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2014, 06:06 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Plans and build info

Please note, these plans have not been tested since mods have been made, if you build please let me know if you find any mistakes

If you are using MPF for the outer skin, there will be very little sanding of the ring formers, however, if you are using Depron you will have to sand the ring formers about 1 mm or so all round as the Depron is about 1 mm thicker than the MPF

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; Jun 08, 2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old May 24, 2014, 05:37 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Got the plans printed today and started the build .. remember, I am using the wing from the other MIG-15 with the Ducted prop that was a failure

Found a couple of minor mistakes on the plan so far

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Easy Autogyro
Old May 25, 2014, 11:11 AM
from France
Joined Oct 2010
19 Posts
can't wait for PDF A4 Tiled plans !

Congrats for this bird ! Hope the maiden will be a success !

Cheers from France
Lnk47 is offline Find More Posts by Lnk47
Old May 25, 2014, 08:20 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
I will post the pans as soon as I know she flies OK, can't see any reason she won't though

Before adding the outer covering, I did some tests with the motor in the original place that I had meant it to be and it was not balancing with a 2200 / 3s battery

So .... I decided to moved the motor 65 mm forward and down bu about 30 mm (to fit inside the fuselage) ... I am hoping that this will be enough to be able to balance it ... and I hope it will be high enough to clear the ground on take off ... all a bit of a compromise really

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; May 25, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old May 26, 2014, 03:19 AM
from France
Joined Oct 2010
19 Posts
don't you plan to hand-launch it ?
Lnk47 is offline Find More Posts by Lnk47
Old May 26, 2014, 05:19 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnk47 View Post
don't you plan to hand-launch it ?
Wash your mouth out ... If you have read any of my other threads, you would know ... I HATE HAND LAUNCHING

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2014, 10:40 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,850 Posts
New Build, or Rebuild as a Pusher Mig 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey View Post
... If you have read any of my other threads, you would know ... I HATE HAND LAUNCHING Lockey
I do understand the reasoning, but keep in mind some folks don't have a nice place to do otherwise. I like your careful planning and since you are using a small diameter propeller, one more degree of clearance should be plenty as long as the grass and weeds are short. Looking good.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old May 28, 2014, 03:30 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Well ... she is ready for the Maiden at AUW of 735 grams (26 oz) with 2200 / 3s battery (needed for balance)

May get chance to maiden today if the wind holds off

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; May 28, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 05:08 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
I could almost say the maiden was a success … almost

I had to hand launch as she wasn’t going to take off on her belly … again it seemed not enough power, which really surprised me

Anyway, against all my feelings, I hand launched and got away with it … the first time and she didn’t need much trimming before she was flying nice

I was a little low and didn’t want to risk stalling it, so I decided to land her and tried again to hand launch her … disaster … I didn’t get to the controls quick enough and she hit the dirt

Ah well back to the drawing board once more, repair the front and see why I don’t have enough thrust

Getting a bit fed up of repairing Mig front ends

NOW YOU KNOW WHY "I HATE HAND LAUNCHING"

Lockey

MIG - 15 Pushe Maiden
MIG - 15 Pushe Maiden (3 min 21 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; May 28, 2014 at 06:43 AM.
Old May 28, 2014, 07:01 AM
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
657 Posts
mig 15

hey lockey nice maiden, it flew great ( once you launched itlol)
you build so quickly and your parts look like they came from a kit, what software are you using for the drawings, they're beautiful and do you have a laser cutter for the foam pieces sam
ps I'm trying to get to the phillipines this winter, its too bad I can't slip over to austraila and actually meet you sam
slam555 is online now Find More Posts by slam555
Old May 28, 2014, 07:12 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slam555 View Post
hey lockey nice maiden, it flew great ( once you launched itlol)
you build so quickly and your parts look like they came from a kit, what software are you using for the drawings, they're beautiful and do you have a laser cutter for the foam pieces sam
ps I'm trying to get to the phillipines this winter, its too bad I can't slip over to austraila and actually meet you sam
I just use Google Sketchup mate .. and if you ever do make it to Oz, you are more than welcome to come for a visit ... I use the trusty old knife for cutting most parts and I use a little Dremel saw for the smaller parts ... http://www.dremel.com/en-au/tools/Pa....aspx?pid=MS20
... and its GREAT

Lockey
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2014, 04:36 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Sep 2011
3,073 Posts
Did the repair this arvo and flew her again this evening .. I made the nose about 20 mm (3/4 inch) longer and it made all the difference to get the battery a little further forward and was able to remove the BIG nut I had taped to the front ... I also added a bit to the back to lift the back end up to clear the prop, will change this on the plans and lift the motor about an inch or so

I changed the prop to a 3 blade Master Airscrew and it seemed to have more punch BUT still wouldn't get off the ground on its belly so had to hand launch again ... with my left hand this time

She does fly really nice and doesn't seem to have any bad tendencies

Now to work out how to get here to lift off her belly ... I would have thought she had enough speed, so I need to get the front up a bit more ... OR maybe a skin of 3 mm Depron on top of the wing to make it into an airfoil, that might just do it ... what do others think ?

Strange how well it steers with NO RUDDER ... thats with ailerons .. see video

Lockey

MIG-15 ... Pusher 2nd flight (5 min 24 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Lockey; May 29, 2014 at 06:35 AM.