HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
Micro Flyer
United States, NH, Bartlett
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Question
Driving nitro truck in snow

I would like to be able to drive my nitro rc truck in the snow, but I don't have Plastidip or anything to waterproof servo's with. Could I just wrap the whole truck in something?

Thanks,
Tyler
tqb555 is offline Find More Posts by tqb555
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:36 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
Hi Tyler

An old trick we used to do is stick your servo's and receiver inside balloons. Blow it up to expand it. You want it stretched out a bit. Take your servo's out of the car put them in the balloon run the wires out the end of the balloon. Close the balloon on the end with a wire tie to keep out as much snow as possible. Do the same for the receiver. Install them back in the Truck and your done. You will have to have the screws on the out side of the balloon but it wont effect them to much. I might put a little more air filter oil in the air cleaner. When your done dry everything off real good.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:25 PM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I have just been wrapping the whole truck in an old shirt. It works well but I have to take it off to re-fuel and dry it. Will balloons work for water in the summer too?

Thanks again.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:01 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
It will not be water proof. More like slightly water resistant. So no big splashes in the mud puddles. Snow is one thing but standing water is another.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:13 AM
Joined Jan 2011
97 Posts
I run my crt .5 in the snow all the time. Equipped with paddles, I'll run for an hour in powder to the wetter/heavier snow. After a run of 4-5 tanks I take the air hose from the compressor and blow everything off, unhook the receiver pack and let the rest dry out in the sink overnight. No problems. Do avoid puddles when the snow starts melting though, I had water get in the receiver box once and burn up the receiver. The throttle and steering servo are routinely caked in snow after about an hour with no ill effect.
SRWitt is offline Find More Posts by SRWitt
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:11 AM
Micro Flyer
Joined Jun 2012
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWitt View Post
I run my crt .5 in the snow all the time. Equipped with paddles, I'll run for an hour in powder to the wetter/heavier snow. After a run of 4-5 tanks I take the air hose from the compressor and blow everything off, unhook the receiver pack and let the rest dry out in the sink overnight. No problems. Do avoid puddles when the snow starts melting though, I had water get in the receiver box once and burn up the receiver. The throttle and steering servo are routinely caked in snow after about an hour with no ill effect.
I too use an air compressor to dry mine off. And I guess the servo's would be fine as long as i get the snow off before it melts but I will probably still get some electrical tape and balloons. Any suggestions for waterproofing the receiver box? I burnt out one of my receivers too and I don't want to ruin the lipo I am using for a receiver battery.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:55 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqb555 View Post
I too use an air compressor to dry mine off. And I guess the servo's would be fine as long as i get the snow off before it melts but I will probably still get some electrical tape and balloons. Any suggestions for waterproofing the receiver box? I burnt out one of my receivers too and I don't want to ruin the lipo I am using for a receiver battery.
The balloon will work for that to