HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:27 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Discussion
James May's Flight Club

I hope this is the right place for this thread - currently watching a TV programme on BBC1 in the UK called "James May's Toy Stories: Flight Club" which is about an attempt to fly a free-flight model glider from the Devon coast to Lundy, a distance of 22 miles (I did wonder about http://www.rcgroups.com/free-flight-64/ but given their aircraft is only free-flight in the sense that it has no radio control - it does have moving control surfaces and an auto pilot, oh and apparently also back-up RC control, which was presumably required for air certification - here seemed more appropriate). The original plan was to cross the English Channel, but apparently French beuracracy got in the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/pro...y-stories.html

Anybody else watching this programme? I'll put up an iplayer link so you can watch it online when that is available (in theory iplayer only works from the UK, but you can get around that with a proxy ).
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Last edited by aracer; Dec 23, 2012 at 06:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Here's an iplayer link - as I mentioned above this will only officially work if you're in the UK, but there are ways around that by using proxies (I'm hoping somebody else will chip in with details of that - it's something I know is possible, but not all the ins and outs).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...s_Flight_Club/
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Dec 23, 2012, 05:12 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,953 Posts
Just been watching the program. Some nice photography. Not so sure about the "free flight" designation...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:39 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Dinas Powys
Joined Jan 2005
60 Posts
I don't think we got the full story. The 'toy' plane (very irritating) was obviously trimmed out before they cast it off (it had radio on board apart from the auto system). As he has a pilot's licence I thought May's over exuberance slightly false and the side visit to the old school building more than irrelevant. Still, at least Clarkson wasn't involved so I was able to watch the programme.
In the end I suppose we ought to be grateful that 'aeromodelling' did make the main tv scheduling.
BatLaw is online now Find More Posts by BatLaw
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,133 Posts
It is available to watch here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw6...s#.UNh4GayDUzJ

Go full screen to get the ad out of your face.

Joe

Edit: After watching it, Pretty Cool!!! Except for calling it a toy . . . . . . . . .

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Last edited by Thermaler; Dec 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 03:37 PM
GO!!!
Eastern edge of the pond
Joined Mar 2003
284 Posts
Great show though clearly dumbed down for the wider audience. I'd have liked to see more detail of the preparations for the flight, particularly the autopilot system and no use of the word "toy".
Garvey is offline Find More Posts by Garvey
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:11 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
With a show named 'Toy Stories', the use of the term 'toy' should come as little surprise. A 22-mile flight on only the second attempt was rather impressive.
awilmunder is offline Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:22 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilmunder View Post
A 22-mile flight on only the second attempt was rather impressive.
...if it genuinely was the second flight. I suspect there was a lot of poetic licence involved as ever within TV.

However, that is not to take away from the achievement of a 22 mile flight by a balsa glider without outside directional control (except the landing, I would suspect). And also (like others) I am pleased to see aeromodelling being watched by non-modellers. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the programme.

May has in general been an excellent advocate for private pilots (of which I am one), aeromodellers (of which I am one), plastic modellers (of which I used to be one) and for many other engineering based toys [sic].
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Dec 26, 2012, 02:28 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,953 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
May has in general been an excellent advocate for ....... aeromodellers (of which I am one), ............
Yeah I'd agree in general; the only bits in this program that jarred in that respect was the deliberate crashing of the small heli and the red Cub-like little fixed wing plane ...

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:51 PM
Valparaiso, IN
Joined Apr 2005
741 Posts
Great entertainment. Thought the sly dig at ARFs was clever. Maybe we should invite James May to the AMA/LSF NATS?
Jim Deck is offline Find More Posts by Jim Deck
Old Dec 29, 2012, 04:04 PM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
Great program.. I was quizzed about it by some non modellers who were very impressed, maybe even sparked some interest..
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
Good for what ALES you
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
I looked for contact info for James May and since I don't watch Top Gear I didn't know that he was one of the three main hosts. I thought it would be fun to invite him out for a cross-country event, but I think that it will be a challenge to get in touch with him.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:21 AM
United Kingdom, England, Windermere
Joined Oct 2010
199 Posts
http://www.topgear.com/uk/contact-us

you could try here..

He has done a "toystory" series, it's worth tracking it down and watching..very entertaining...
Manonthegrassyknoll is offline Find More Posts by Manonthegrassyknoll
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:26 PM
Good for what ALES you
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
Message sent...