HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Discussion
The War On Drugs ...

Puts more black Americans behind bars than anything else. Why they continue to support a government and an administration that does so is beyond me.

http://thelibertarianrepublic.com/is...-drugs-racist/
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:33 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Which previous governments and administrations implemented and continued the war on drugs?

Did the losing side in the recent election state that they would halt the war on drugs?
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:35 AM
Let slip the dogs of war!
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Jun 2005
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post
Which previous governments and administrations implemented and continued the war on drugs?
Why does that matter? At the time, it seemed like a noble idea. It has been a failed yet very costly policy for decades through numerous administrations.
Park_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
Why does that matter? At the time, it seemed like a noble idea. It has been a failed yet very costly policy for decades through numerous administrations.
The implication is that black voters should not support the current US administration because of the premise presented in the OP. Since the policy was implemented by a prior government administration presumably they should not have supported that administration either?

Of course both ridiculous scenarios completely ignore that voters do not tend to vote on a single issue.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Apr 2008
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Puts more black Americans behind bars than anything else. Why they continue to support a government and an administration that does so is beyond me.

Do you think a Romney administration would have been more or less likely to legalize drugs than the Obama administration?
Rufcut is offline Find More Posts by Rufcut
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:01 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Americans should reread some Pogo, Walt Kelly had it right,

"We have met the enemy, and he is us!"
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:02 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post

Call it what it is... The creation of victims...

The victim that wants to do something with his own body.(How does this differ from a woman's right to chose?) and the victim that supplies the goods to do it and the third victim, the taxpayer that pays all the costs for the insane police state that is used to create 300 million victims.
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I am back, such as it is...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:05 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leccyflyer View Post

Did the losing side in the recent election state that they would halt the war on drugs?
I just don't understand why there is no out cry, not demand for change. Their support is near 100 percent.

I don't expect them to vote Republican, LBJ made sure of that. This blind devotion to a party that supports and promotes a policy that has jailed blacks in such a skewed manner is a mystery.
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:14 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
We can't ignore the numbers. We incarcerate more citizens than any other western nation. Are we that bad a bunch, or are we locking up the wrong people?
Wouldn't it reduce gun crimes if the penalty were life? Wouldn't we have room if we let the nonviolent criminals out? Wouldn't we be safer?
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:19 AM
Холодная война все еще здесь.
Joined Aug 2003
1,645 Posts
The primary reasons for the high rate of incarceration are victimless drug crimes and the life styles of the welfare class.

End the war on drugs and endless welfare...
RCWorks is offline Find More Posts by RCWorks
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I am back, such as it is...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:51 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Sep 2006
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
The primary reasons for the high rate of incarceration are victimless drug crimes and the life styles of the welfare class.
No, many people use drugs, not just the "welfare class". Poor people and minorities get harsher sentences than whites and wealthier people do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks View Post
End the war on drugs (sic)...
Yes
Sherlock is online now Find More Posts by Sherlock
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
Well, let's look at this...OP, how many blacks are incarcerated for possession/use of drugs? The ones in the pokey for drug RELATED crimes don't count (assault, robbery, etc) just the ones for possesion/use.
Twizter68 is offline Find More Posts by Twizter68
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jun 2010
288 Posts
A very good question. I wonder if higher ups have discussed it. There is very little pro and con discussion if any during the election cycle.

I know little about the answers to" What If". No proof but I think selling drugs is a major source to make money for the black community. If that source of income dries up what replaces it? Would crime escalate? Is pot a gate way drug? What if meth is legalized? Can a long term meth or opiate user be rehabilitated?

What do we do with heavy users that can't or won't work? More welfare? Legalized drugs did a lot of damage in China and even started a major war I'm told.

So from a Machiavellian stand point I say legalize it and see what happens. Darwin will take over and users will die by the millions, but maybe not.

While we are at it maybe we should legalize prostitution. Seems to be many reasons for its need.

I like to drive fast. Why do we need arbitrary speed limits that is in place to make a lot of money for the various Governments.

Then maybe we should legalize gambling. It's legal for the State and a few select companies to do it. Why can't I run a book out of my home?

I don't want my kids and their kids to use any of these items. Did I have a right to brain wash them as children to keep your distant and don't be a user. Maybe not.

Maybe all this is natures way to reduce population in a over populated world.

Lots of questions that I can't answer.
Aaron 1 is offline Find More Posts by Aaron 1
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:06 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
The problem I see is that you can't often separate the possession charge from other charges; the statisticians use a catch-all, "drug-involved" and batch those in with the possession cases to make the numbers appear worse. The problem is, the possession charges are often on top of something else, assault, robbery, B&E, and so forth. It's all well and good to get pious and scream "That's Racist!" about incarceration rates, but you have to look at the crimes that accompany the relatively minor possession charges; I know when I worked for the SO in Georgia, possession charges were only add-ons to the major charges someone got pinched for, because at the times they were arrested, more often then not they were high or had dope on them.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:08 AM
Owns an Evil Black Rifle
Joined Dec 2005
1,038 Posts
And say if you legalize it...is that going to stop people from robbing and stealing to get the money to buy dope?

My guess is NOT.