SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,605 Posts
*sigh*

20cc Tiger Moth ARF has entered the building, my buddy gave it to me. I'm gonna be broke, hide the kids' college fund.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:28 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
*sigh*

20cc Tiger Moth ARF has entered the building, my buddy gave it to me. I'm gonna be broke, hide the kids' college fund.
Nah, sell the kids to evil sea pirates, use the money to buy more models.....
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Oct 2010
59 Posts
You're in no trouble. I recently did a H9 Fokker DVII electric for my uncle. Try Hobby King. I know, I know, but I've used their stuff for a couple years now and I've been really happy. You can get a Turnigy 120 equivalent motor for around 40-45 bucks, a 90/100 amp speed control for 25 bucks and a 6s 5000 battery pack to power it for somewhere around 60-65 bucks. That's around $125-$135 plus 20 bucks to ship it. I've been using this stuff for a couple seasons in my giant electrics and for the money, you can't beat it. Never use "too many" and "airplanes" in the same sentence!! Dave
rcfighterjock is offline Find More Posts by rcfighterjock
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:15 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
You think you are all bad? Pffft.......LOL. I have planes hanging from the rafters, planes hanging on the walls, planes on tables, under tables, still some in boxes all in the basement.......oh and yeah......planes sitting on my family room pool table, planes sitting in the two car garage which now neither my wife or I can use to park our cars in..........

And more planes sitting in a trailer I built thats out on my driveway..........

All the while I still have more planes enroute via UPS, etc...to include a gaint scale 89" spitfire.
This picture here is LESS then 1/10th of the stuff I have(every plane but the pica D9 is mine).

I have actually GIVEN a few planes away recently just to get rid of some and ....lol....make room for new acquisitions.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:48 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,605 Posts
Many people have many more planes than I have or ever will have. The thing that is becoming almost frightening to me is the number of planes I have acquired in the relatively short time I've been in the hobby and the short amount of flight time I have under my thumbs.

And you live out near my in-laws, pretty country. Too far to fly out and beg planes and drive back
Love the hobby, but can be scary how fast and how deeply I can fall into it.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 07:24 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,615 Posts
When I saw the photos of your hangar, my immediate thought was 'There's a single guy.....'

But I'm wrong. Make sure you treat your wife well - Lady Blink would have hoofed me and my 'toy aeroplanes' out onto the pavement long before I'd have acquired half that amount!!

You're a lucky chap!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 18, 2013, 01:10 PM
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Oct 2011
108 Posts
Dont be afraid to let the airplane illness take you over. Electric rocks and doesnt shake the plane apart.
Great Planes Pitts M12S electric on Thunder Power (6 min 19 sec)
Bipesexual is offline Find More Posts by Bipesexual
Old Mar 19, 2013, 10:03 PM
United States, WI, Pewaukee
Joined May 2006
109 Posts
We all have the airplane illness. In general terms, it just takes you over. A hallmark symptom in my book is that you are forever trying to find the "one that got away" so to speak. I search the classifieds often looking for specific planes no longer manufactured that got away before I could get one. Have fun!
WI53072 is offline Find More Posts by WI53072
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:37 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,605 Posts
I've made peace with my illness to a degree, and have rough plans for how to execute a holding action battle against it. Right now I'm scratch building cheap disposable foamies to throw around without fear so I can get better thumbs.

Gearing these is going to be expensive, there's a very faint possibility the 20cc Tiger Moth gets a gas engine, glow is not an option for anything.

Motors and ESCs for the 4 other Hangar 9 birds are likely to be from HeadsUp RC, that's a good balance of reliability and support without going HK cheap or getting eflite gouged.

Lipos I'm fine with HK or Hobbypartz, these aren't 3d planes or helis so I don't need 7,000C for scale flight, 20-35 or so is plenty.

Servos are currently the likely ouch spot. The 4 smaller are 4 each and the Moth lists 6, though I think that includes a throttle servo that I wouldn't need if I stayed electric. My flying buddy is adamant that I use Hitec 5245s, that's all he uses in all of his birds. I know 9g micro servos and the disposable HXT900s, once you start to get bigger I don't have the chops. The servos he recommends are real painful when you're looking at potentially 22 of them.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:40 PM
United States, MN, Elk River
Joined Oct 2011
108 Posts
As far as servos go, you simply weigh the amount of gamble verses the size and value of your plane. If its smaller and not a plane your in love with, go with cheap servos. If its big ,spendy, and dangerous if it crashes, buck up the cash and get a dependable brand of servos.
Bipesexual is offline Find More Posts by Bipesexual
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:52 PM
USA, MD, Hagerstown
Joined Jun 2009
3,345 Posts
If you're staying electric save yourself some money on the servos by going with the Hitec 485's. less than half the price of the ones you listed and higher torque. Not quite as fast, but like you said you're not building 3D planes. I use these on most of my electrics other than on the rudder. There I spend a bit more and get the 645MG.
V2rider is offline Find More Posts by V2rider
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:43 PM
...design-build-fly-publish...
Ware, herts. U.K.
Joined Sep 2008
3,466 Posts
For what it's worth BEF, I have noticed an awful lot of model buyers have your trouble. Because models can be obtained so quickly and simply by flashing the plastic the self-gratification takes over and before you know it ... well you have recognised the problem.

I don't have the same problem because the way I get a new model is I stand at a drawing board and design it, then I start buying bits for it, then I start putting the bits together ... and before I know it several months have gone by and I still haven't spent as much as an ARTF would have cost me. I admit I'm a chain builder, which keeps me in the workshop (where my wife knows where I am). My model building also brings in the occasional publication fee which just about pays for my hobby (not my time I hasten to add - just the materials) - and that's not something you can do when you only buy other people's ready-built designs.

Yes, I have too many models, but they are easy to sell on as they are all unique - and I choose aircraft types that very few other people are flying (why go to all the trouble doing what someone else has already done?), so if you really are bothered by having bought too many models you can slow down the process by having a go at building your own from plans - or maybe a kit or two to start you off... but I don't suppose you will !
eye4wings is offline Find More Posts by eye4wings
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:12 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,605 Posts
Yeah I'm staying electric, glow is not even something that interests me, gas is conceivable on the moth but unlikely over all. I'll look into those servos, they're similar to the ones I was looking at but save some money since they're not digital.

eye4wings you and I are likely at drastically different places in our lives, I have small children, so my time to research is roughly 20-30 times as much as my time to build, which is at least 20 times my actual time free to fly. While there is some grains in your characterization, the biggest thing I run into is I have trouble passing up a really really good deal on a plane that interests me.

At this time I'm mainly focused on building my own planes, scratchbuild foamies that I can throw around abusively and also let my kids fly them. No fear of crashing in those cases, can push my skills further and then keep the pretty ones alive a lot longer.