HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 06:17 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
Discussion
Scorcher!

Hey guys, just thought Id give you a look at my new DS homebrew, the Scorcher. Ive had a wing built for a while now and tested it on a modded arthobby fuse, and got 200 before the nose boat blew off the fuse!
Now Ive built a mould for the new fuse and tails and popped my first one out the other day. Ive also just popped out another wing, this time a much beefier one. All I have to do now is mould the tail planes and fit it out and wait for some wind. I would love to break 250 with this design and I think it has it in it, whether I do is another story though!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2012, 12:30 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,682 Posts
Josh, that thing should easily go 350+ if built as beefy as I think you built it. It looks superb, great work!
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old May 14, 2012, 01:01 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Riverside, California, United States
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
That D60 fuse looks like it has seen better days. Whatcha doing with it?
joe manor is online now Find More Posts by joe manor
Old May 14, 2012, 01:39 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
806 Posts
I think it will be a fast model too.
If you recall reading in another thread, the wing is a 2m RK40 section.
From the D60's performance, I think that section rocks. I am often trying to get the locals to use it on their own designs.

Your Fuz makes the D60 look like its eaten all the pies.

Hood luck with the project.
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old May 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
Thanks guys, It didnt come out quite as stiff as I tought but the wing is very thin. The other one had zero flex at 200 with very tight laps so this should be good too. I can always go heavier. I should have put another couple of layers of uni in the spar cap!
Joe, the d60 has had a hard life, I snapped the original wing (not completely but spar caps broken) and repaired it good as new and flew it for a while, got 198 with it. I got rolled in on the same day, trying really hard to break 200 and went in at about 180. Suffice to say the wing is toast now! Luckily my mate had broken his wing but couldnt fix it so Ive fixed his one up and will bolt it to my fuse. The fuse looks so bad cause I have socked it. All the gear/ lead/ ballast came out the front but just split the seam so it could all be stitched back together- Great thinking using kevlar! I love the way the D60 flies, so when I break this one I'll definitely be getting another one.
Will/Joe, I cant say enough about the rk40's performance! I think for Australian conditions where 300 is getting really top end its just the perfect foil. I should call mine an rk40 modified as its as close as I could get with a bagged wing! Joe, did you ever get any further with an rk40 wing to suit the d80? Im sure I read that somewhere and for australia it would just rock!
Old May 14, 2012, 05:31 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogance View Post
Josh, that thing should easily go 350+ if built as beefy as I think you built it. It looks superb, great work!
Thanks Aaron! I hope to come over to see you guys with a whole squad of these, maybe next year. I'd love to see how it goes at weldon!
Roger (khanx) has some 800gsm quad axial carbon he wants to try for one- now that would be strong!
Old May 14, 2012, 06:05 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,457 Posts
Send it over here for Friday...
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
It still has no tail! looks like a long tail plank now
Old May 15, 2012, 08:23 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Joe, did you ever get any further with an rk40 wing to suit the d80? Im sure I read that somewhere and for australia it would just rock!
The tooling is ready to cut. Just waiting for a buddy to get some time so he can finish it up. I cant wait to fly one.
Old May 15, 2012, 10:48 AM
Leicestershire
Joined Sep 2006
1,184 Posts
Stick another 10 inches on the wing while you're waiting dude! D130 style!

Z
Zimodile is offline Find More Posts by Zimodile
Old May 15, 2012, 03:00 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe manor View Post
The tooling is ready to cut. Just waiting for a buddy to get some time so he can finish it up. I cant wait to fly one.
Cool- new best seller!!
Old May 25, 2012, 04:01 AM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
Hey, I finally have a complet scorcher with the new fuse and tails. It took heaps of lead to balance and fitting the battery and gear was a challenge but it all goes in. This one is about 100oz. I hope to get it out for a test one day this weekend.
Cheers
Old May 25, 2012, 04:49 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,457 Posts
That is fantastic Josh!

I wish I could pop out models like that!

The old wing and new fuse/tails??

Are you making the yellow wing and fuse up too?
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old May 25, 2012, 07:11 AM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,385 Posts
Hey Alex, Ive got a lot of spare time during the days to play in the shed!
The old wing still has servos in it set up ready to go so I wanted to use that one. Ive made a heavier wing (yellow one in the first post) and another fuse more or less the same as this one but need to make another tail set and am waiting for servos. That wing should be good but its not as stiff as I had hoped and I also cut the ailerons too big at the tips. This means the hinges are in the wrong spot and there was very little room for wipers. I dont have much enthusiasm for this one because of my stupid stuff ups! Next one I may go a bit lighter lay up but put a lot more carbon (Like double) in the spar caps. I want one that I can stand on!!
Old May 25, 2012, 08:37 AM
Stay in it!!!!
Joined Aug 2004
5,050 Posts
Looking good man! Got wind?