HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:08 AM
Santi
United States, MO, Clayton
Joined Nov 2003
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
in your opinion which plane in the 50-60 ish" size does slow and low and violent good? looking at getting something in that size and i want something thats violent but good down low also.
Quote:
has anybody ever put sfgs on a slick?
The 51" slick would be my vote for this.... Nothing made me more comfortable low and slow like this plane, also I do more violent things with this frame than any other I own!

No need for sfg's on this bird!
DaaBears is online now Find More Posts by DaaBears
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:13 AM
House of Paine
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2007
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertzrepkeith View Post
Do you have to have a Power Supply to be able to do this??
I'm using a pair of Dell PowerEdge 6650's in series I picked up on ebay for like $13 ea. I think they each do like 900watts ea. The DC ground is already isolated from the AC ground so you don't have to open up the case and mod like some other server PS when doing series. The plugs are a bit different and I had to buy a couple for another $10 ea. You also need to connect three pins together to get them to power up but a male servo extension fit those pins so it was dead easy to make a something for this. All the info for this is here on RCG btw.

In the field I use a Yamaha EF 2000i generator to power this at the field.

Here is the general RCG thread for using server power supplies: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Here is the thread on the three pins you need to use on the 6650 and where to tap in for ground and 12V: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=654

Note I did nothing with any voltage control, just connect the three pins in red to allow the units to power on.
weaser42 is offline Find More Posts by weaser42
Last edited by weaser42; Jan 22, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Added urls and more info
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaser42 View Post
As others have said there is a 40A max limit. I fly my packs down to storage voltage normally, with Hyperion batt checker showing 20-25% and at 40 A it takes about 23 min to charge 4 6S 5300 GensAce I use for my 104".

GenAce supply and pricing is wierd, either they are out of stock most of the time or the pricing seems to always change. About a month ago I bought 2-6s5300 mah 65-120c lipos on sale for $114.00 each regular $169, the week I recieved them they were on sale again for $88 each. This week the adverstised regular price of $263 ,on sale for $169 but they are out of stock
goflyhighrc is online now Find More Posts by goflyhighrc
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:24 AM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
I'm using a pair of Dell PowerEdge 6650's in series I picked up on ebay for like $13 ea. I think they each do like 900watts ea. The DC ground is already isolated from the AC ground so you don't have to open up the case and mod like some other server PS when doing series. The plugs are a bit different and I had to buy a couple for another $10 ea. You also need to connect three pins together to get them to power up but a male servo extension fit those pins so it was dead easy to make a something for this. All the info for this is here on RCG btw.

In the field I use a Yamaha EF 2000i generator to power this at the field.

Here is the general RCG thread for using server power supplies: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1292514

Here is the thread on the three pins you need to use on the 6650 and where to tap in for ground and 12V: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=654

Note I did nothing with any voltage control, just connect the three pins in red to allow the units to power on.
Or you can buy them for around $125 from guys here on RC Groups all set and ready to go.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:28 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCDme3D View Post
The 51" slick would be my vote for this.... Nothing made me more comfortable low and slow like this plane, also I do more violent things with this frame than any other I own!

i have flown 3dhs only underpowered 57" and like EF 60 edge much better... but under-60", a 51" would also get my vote...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:29 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jul 2011
2,243 Posts
Quote:

Well, there is no need for sfg on a 1.5 buck huck, but i understand people has been enjoying it lately...
rimaarts is offline Find More Posts by rimaarts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:07 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,366 Posts
FYI. Just got my shipping notice for a red 42 AJ Slick. Looks like the slow boat just got in! I can't wait for some baby slickness.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Last edited by AZAerobat; Jan 22, 2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:09 PM
Old Dog learning new tricks~~
United States, PA, East Stroudsburg
Joined Jan 2011
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZAerobat View Post
FYI Just got my shipping notice for a red 42. Looks like the slow boat just got in! I can't wait for some baby slickness.
That's great!! I also heard that the 89 slicks ship out tomorrow That's really great!!
bradhoke08 is offline Find More Posts by bradhoke08
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:13 PM
Fly More Crash Less
United States, AZ, Prescott
Joined Sep 2007
1,366 Posts
Nice!!! I figured I would let the everyone know that the boat is in! Enjoy the 89, I love my 71 but wanted something small to toss in the trunk for those days when I don't want to take the 71.
AZAerobat is offline Find More Posts by AZAerobat
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:06 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
As others have said there is a 40A max limit. I fly my packs down to storage voltage normally, with Hyperion batt checker showing 20-25% and at 40 A it takes about 23 min to charge 4 6S 5300 GensAce I use for my 104".
Powerlab 8 vs Powerlab 6

I plan to charge up 6s batterys, so is there a big differance between the two Powerlabs, I called Ebuddy and they said none other than on the 8 you can charge 8s lipos. I believe I've read elswhere in the threads that the 8 has more features. What do you Powerlabs owners say?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:43 PM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goflyhighrc View Post
Powerlab 8 vs Powerlab 6

I plan to charge up 6s batterys, so is there a big differance between the two Powerlabs, I called Ebuddy and they said none other than on the 8 you can charge 8s lipos. I believe I've read elswhere in the threads that the 8 has more features. What do you Powerlabs owners say?

I can only say that I heard the same but as far as charging and using both for general charging at the field, I have used both as a flying buddy has the PL6 and I have the PL8. We both don't have a problem using either one if one of ours are charging something and we need to use the other as the menus are set up almost if not the same...
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:43 PM
Team 3DHS
Western CT
Joined Aug 2009
2,863 Posts
Quote:
in your opinion which plane in the 50-60 ish" size does slow and low and violent good? looking at getting something in that size and i want something thats violent but good down low also.
I love my 57 extra! I can get that thing so twisted in a ball, yet on the same flight come in and do an inverted rudder drag. However, a big thing will be color scheme. Subcontiously, you will feel most comfortable will the plane whose color scheme you like the best, assuming they are close in performance to begin with.
CrashesALot is online now Find More Posts by CrashesALot
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:20 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
You don't really "need" SFGs on any plane, depending on what type of flying you want to do. Lately I've been flying my 87 SHP without the SFGs and enjoying it more. Have to be slightly more "on" in harriers, but it makes it a lot crisper and faster in roll. Tumbles and snaps seems nicer as well.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
Just go with the flow
Modesto, CA
Joined Nov 2006
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot View Post
I love my 57 extra! I can get that thing so twisted in a ball, yet on the same flight come in and do an inverted rudder drag. However, a big thing will be color scheme. Subcontiously, you will feel most comfortable will the plane whose color scheme you like the best, assuming they are close in performance to begin with.
When you coming out to Manteca ?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:52 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,198 Posts
+1 SFGs are not really needed... especially on the 87" SHP. I can get mine in a slooooow high alphs KE without em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace4 View Post
You don't really "need" SFGs on any plane, depending on what type of flying you want to do. Lately I've been flying my 87 SHP without the SFGs and enjoying it more. Have to be slightly more "on" in harriers, but it makes it a lot crisper and faster in roll. Tumbles and snaps seems nicer as well.
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Last edited by flyracer; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:55 PM.