HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
496 Posts
Discussion
Power distribution with pennies, copper washers, etc?

I'm making my first quad, and my goal is all out simplicity and minimal affordable components. I've seen a lot these of power distribution boards that seem to make things simple, but they either aren't rated for enough amps, or are too expensive.

Is there any reason not to just use for example 2 pennies (the old ones that were solid copper), glued a little distance apart, and just solder all the + connections to one penny, and all the - connections to another penny?

Or if not pennies, perhaps something like copper washers. Maybe a smaller washer in the center for all the + connections, and a larger washer outside for - connections. Or even 2 equal washers stacked, with a good insulator inbetween them.

Any reason not to do things this way? It seem so cheap and simple, could allow tons of amperage, easy to unsolder/resolder connections like a bad esc. Yet I haven't seen anyone else do it, instead everyone I've seen is using printed PCB distribution boards which seem like they would be inferior (although look fancier).
carl1864 is offline Find More Posts by carl1864
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2011, 02:20 PM
Suspended Account
UK, Buckinghamshire, High Wycombe
Joined Feb 2007
4,133 Posts
yep its been done loads before and works just fine personally i just link the esc's direct to wire ii plug my wires into and dump ALL the excess weight
n3m1s1s is offline Find More Posts by n3m1s1s
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)