Closed Thread
Old Jul 17, 2011, 02:32 AM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
I once saw a video where a pilot's head was on a servo "wyed" to either rudder or ailerons, don't recall which, but when turning left, the pilot looked left and vice versa. Not much "wow" factor when flying, but with a camera on board to capture the pilot motion while flying from an angle like this video, it would be very neat!
How about this one. The end shows the camera mount used
RC Parkzone Messerschmitt camera fun and crashes (4 min 21 sec)
and this one is of a Spit using the mount
Parkzone RC Spitfire spits out prop and lands deadstick (4 min 47 sec)

Head
headlessagain is offline Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The mystery is explained in the link to external power in post #3. Maybe you can post a picture of the cables that comes with the jumbo, sounds like they are slightly different from the the smaller versions, (except the plug pinouts are the same for external power).

<edit> I found a picture of the new cables. They have modified the car charger cable... with just the car 12V socket and a plug for the 2 wire extension cable to the camera mini-usb. THAT one will have the two adjacent pins powered on the mini-USB end (we refer to them as pins 4 and 5 here, but x and 4 on your post). That is necessary to power the camera and allow it to automatically start a new recording after a recording stops automatically (from either a programmed S/S/C sequence or from the 4GB file system limit. The other fatter round cord should have 4 wires with normal USB pinouts. This should probably be show in the FAQs... probably best place is in the external power link we already have?<edit>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
Perhaps an improved phrasing of that link on post #3 to include "car" "lighter" or so. Its an excellent work by Isoprop ! .
Thx
Tom, I have added the picture of the new Car Charger to the original "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions" post. Like you say, it really is best to have everything in the same place.

Ancient1: Thanks for the compliments . I'm glad my post was useful.
Since I don't have this new charger, could you please tell us if it has a red LED (or another color), and when is it on? Is it always on when the camera is connected, or does it turn off when the camera's battery is fully charged? - which I doubt. I would like to add this information to the original posting.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isoprop View Post
Tom, I have added the picture of the new Car Charger to the original "The definite Guide to Power connectors, charging, and other power related questions" post. Like you say, it really is best to have everything in the same place.

Ancient1: Thanks for the compliments . I'm glad my post was useful.
Since I don't have this new charger, could you please tell us if it has a red LED (or another color), and when is it on? Is it always on when the camera is connected, or does it turn off when the camera's battery is fully charged? - which I doubt. I would like to add this information to the original posting.
My red led does come on when I connect the car charger, and it goes out when the battery is full. The little charger plug also has an led which stays on when it is in a powered socket, even when nothing is connected to the charger.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jul 17, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Jul 2011
20 Posts
Just tried the new firmware (Remove Date S/S/C) and not sure if it was me or the camera.

Before the battery died, the camera stopped recording after 40 minutes. It properly stopped and saved and continued after the first 20 min and created a second 20 minute segment and then it stopped recording. When I took the camera out of the mount, it was sitting there with the yellow LED steady on.

I will double check today but there was no way for the video button to have been accidentally pressed because I was visually making sure of it the entire trip...

Will report back as testing continues... anyone else notice this?
Manny Gonzalez is offline Find More Posts by Manny Gonzalez
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:20 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
My red led does come on when I connect the car charger, and it goes out when the battery is full. The little charger plug also has an led which stays on when it is in a powered socket, even when nothing is connected to the charger.
Also, the red turns to amber when the camera is turned on while on the charger. When the start video button is pressed the amber light goes off. The amber comes back on when the start video is pressed again, to indicate stop filming. Then if the power button is pressed to turn off, the light goes out (no red charge light), I guess it is still charging but it seems like it should go red. If you then unplug from the charger and reconnect to the charger, the red light comes on.

Clear as mud?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:23 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Gonzalez View Post
Just tried the new firmware (Remove Date S/S/C) and not sure if it was me or the camera.

Before the battery died, the camera stopped recording after 40 minutes. It properly stopped and saved and continued after the first 20 min and created a second 20 minute segment and then it stopped recording. When I took the camera out of the mount, it was sitting there with the yellow LED steady on.

I will double check today but there was no way for the video button to have been accidentally pressed because I was visually making sure of it the entire trip...

These buttons really are a light touch....not sure but I think the wind may have stopped mine once. The fact that your second segment was exactly 20 minutes makes that seem unlikely.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 09:42 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
One of my #11 cams is dead.

Red light on usb hookup comes on... turns off when charged for a while.

No combination of any button pushes or resets or button/usb in out make the amber light come on.

I DID successfully use this cam about 10 times before this failure... functioned fine.

I did read first 3 posts and tried all but the re-solder vid processor chip.

I tried Gregsilvers "recover time" fix, even though my failure was not related to any firmware changes. It did not work.

I took apart case and inspected solders and tried cutting and resoldering battery ground wire for full power off reset.

One other clue is that these symptoms happened 1 week ago, and when I accidently dropped it on the table (short low impact) it worked good for 1 test recording and I then had to reset the current date and time again. Thought it would remain working but it did not.

Is my only option back to china? This purchase was back in may so I don't know if they will or can do anything.

Thanks for any constructive comments or suggestions.

(The other of the two is great and I love it.)

Pat
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:03 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Are you sure that you are using the original (included) car charger?
Is this the old or the new model car charger?

To my knowlege, the red LED on the camera is NEVER turned on when connected to the car charger because it uses the special cable.
What model of camera do you have (Jumbo?) and when did you buy it?

Can you record continuously while connected to your battery charger (i.e. more than 1 file is created automatically)? If not, then you are not using the original battery charger, or you have the firmware with the bug installed.
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Last edited by Isoprop; Jul 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:14 AM
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Feb 2007
14,582 Posts
HLA,
I found it amazing how steady the video was with such a flimsy looking, but obviously good mount way out in front for the model. Neato! Another project for my bucket list
Cheers,
Jim
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Mega Link Index

Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
How about this one. The end shows the camera mount used
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aVsE..._order&list=UL and this one is of a Spit using the mount
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8q6g4n7tdg&NR=1
Head
jesolins is offline Find More Posts by jesolins
Old Jul 17, 2011, 10:40 AM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
I don't know if anyone else has noticed. Discovered a huge difference in tape that I used as insurance with the velcro that holds my #11 on the wing.(epp combat wing that is covered with heat applied laminate)

Blue painters tape does not seem to transfer motor harmonic vibration nearly as much as scotch extreme bidirectional fiber tape.! I was concerned with the moisture from the wave froth rendering the blue tape useless so I grabbed the scotch extreme What a difference, won't do that again.

P
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:25 AM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Are you sure that you are using the original (included) car charger?
Is this the old or the new model car charger?

To my knowlege, the red LED on the camera is NEVER turned on when connected to the car charger because it uses the special cable.
What model of camera do you have (Jumbo?) and when did you buy it?

Can you record continuously while connected to your battery charger (i.e. more than 1 file is created automatically)? If not, then you are not using the original battery charger, or you have the firmware with the bug installed.
The changes made to the charging circuit in the v3 circuit board for the small #11 allows the red LED to turn on whether connected to a regular USB or the special USB plug, and when fully charged the red LED will extinguish. And I believe the jumbo is is similarly designed.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jul 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:35 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
One of my #11 cams is dead.

Red light on usb hookup comes on... turns off when charged for a while.

No combination of any button pushes or resets or button/usb in out make the amber light come on.

I DID successfully use this cam about 10 times before this failure... functioned fine.

I did read first 3 posts and tried all but the re-solder vid processor chip.

I tried Gregsilvers "recover time" fix, even though my failure was not related to any firmware changes. It did not work.

I took apart case and inspected solders and tried cutting and resoldering battery ground wire for full power off reset.

One other clue is that these symptoms happened 1 week ago, and when I accidently dropped it on the table (short low impact) it worked good for 1 test recording and I then had to reset the current date and time again. Thought it would remain working but it did not.

Is my only option back to china? This purchase was back in may so I don't know if they will or can do anything.

Thanks for any constructive comments or suggestions.

(The other of the two is great and I love it.)

Pat
Hi Pat,

It sounds like the drop impact might have damaged the camera, but not sure what. I have a small #11 that records perfectly for up to a minute or so, then suddenly stops and locks up... buttons inoperative... reset switch activation needed to restore buttons. Some kind of thermal instability, I think... maybe cracked solder joint.

I have no more suggestions for things to try. The camera is not guaranteed to withstand crash or other shock impact, and I doubt whether it would (or should) be replaced under seller warranty. But I suppose the failure after you dropped it could also be a coincidence? There's no stated warranty period that I'm aware of, other than it's guaranteed to work when you receive it.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:39 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the update, Isoprop. And thanks also to Jumpysticks for the testing.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Gonzalez View Post

Manny, do you have the small version of the #11 or the Jumbo? If it's the small version, the battery will give about 40 min. (+ or -) of recording time. It is possible that your second 20 min. clip was saved just as the battery was reaching the end of it's charge. Then, when the recording tried to start again, there just wasn't enough power left to operate the video processor chip, and the camera aborted the video mode and went into standy mode.

I have seen similar behavior when manually starting a recording when the battery is using up the last bit of it's charge, i.e. flashed yellow led 3 times as if starting a recording, then immediately aborts with no recording on the card. But I'm not sure about the yellow LED coming back on steady in those cases. I had the small #11 ver.2 circuit board camera when I tried this, and the new ver. 3 board have some small changes that affect the LED operation slightly (like lighting the red LED when on the car charger).

Anyway, I'm just guessing on this. Another trial or two, might give different results for you.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:07 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesolins View Post
HLA,
I found it amazing how steady the video was with such a flimsy looking, but obviously good mount way out in front for the model. Neato! Another project for my bucket list
Likewise! This would be something good to try on a plane that was quite tail heavy, requiring dead weight for balance. I have my old, very first plane (GWS PT-17) that is notoriously tail heavy, and has been moth-balled for about 5 years. Maybe I will resurrect it just for this purpose! It could work with a trailing camera as well with a nose heavy plane.

The wider angle of view of the #11, though, might bring the CF rods holding the camera support into the field of view, ruining the effect?
Closed Thread