HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2010, 11:51 PM
USA, OH, Newport
Joined May 2005
78 Posts
Discussion
Can it be 2.4- Futaba FG radio with AM module

I've got a Futaba FG series radio that has an AM module. The module is FP-TF-AM which is slightly bigger than the modules used on the newer radios. Has anyone converted one of these to 2.4ghz and if so ho was it done? This one is 6 ch and has dual rates and servo reversing. It would be nice to use it on small electrics and such. If anyone has info. on converting this to 2.4 I would appreciate it.I can solder and modify circuits, I just need the info.
Thanks
maddmann is offline Find More Posts by maddmann
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:02 AM
early retired & loving it
USA, AZ, Kingman
Joined Aug 2005
1,229 Posts
Heres some info:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977807

I think you should be able to do any of the DIY hacks as your radio, even though it was AM, should put out PPM to drive any 2.4G module.

look up DIY threads about ASSAN/ FR-sky/ fly-dream, corona or ...?
bnrusso is offline Find More Posts by bnrusso
Last edited by bnrusso; Sep 15, 2010 at 12:07 AM. Reason: changed/added info.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 04:31 AM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
Should be possible; the FG series (Gold box) radios could use AM or FM modules and the PPM signal can be taken out from the module pins (internal or external module).

However, the older FGs had the servo center point at about 1,3 ms instead current standard 1,5 ms so this should be adjusted as well. There are couple potentiometers inside in the circuit board for this and with osciloscope this is doable.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, CA, Lancaster
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
I'm just joining this thread to study changing an AM FG series. The one I have has a sticker that says 1.5 ms on the bottom rt corner of the case. So it should be good to go.
RWalker is offline Find More Posts by RWalker
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:28 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWalker View Post
I'm just joining this thread to study changing an AM FG series. The one I have has a sticker that says 1.5 ms on the bottom rt corner of the case. So it should be good to go.
The old Futaba had a center pulse of 1.34ms instead of the more used1.5ms, it would have been a problem with the older servos which had a square output(but you could adjust the pot in most with a small screwdriver for neutral). With modern servos with a spline output its only a matter of moving a few notches to get the arm positioned when the stick is centered. The older AM serie were using "G" type servos connectors instead of the "J".
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:24 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,232 Posts
Here's a nice hack model that should work for you, and you don't even have to order from China
http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-v8ht-diy-module.html
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:28 AM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
Okay, let's talk finding those wires on the AM FGs. I plan to solder onto the trainer socket. There are four wires, red, black, brown and yellow that go to the board. I figure the red and black are positive and negative, it's a question of the yellow or brown being signal. Also, there is conventional wisdom that AM type FGs can't be upgraded. Perhaps the hack you linked too makes this possible?

UPDATE: I have found the brown wire connected to the trainer socket to be the PPM signal wire. Got my FrSky DIY module installed and running!
Last edited by RWalker; Oct 20, 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:11 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,740 Posts
We have had customers convert radios much older then the Futaba FG series, like 20+ years older. So the FG should not be much of an issue. Most all old radios that are 8 channels or less should have a PPM signal floating around you can pick up.

I usually look at the trainer port, and trace the PPM back from there.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,232 Posts
RWalker,
Here's a thread for hacking a Spek DM8 module contains pinouts for the Futaba round DIN trainer port, you just have to scroll down a ways.
Should be easy to install the FrSky internally, picking up the PPM from the trainer port.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556607
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Oct 10, 2012, 08:49 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
Why turn a Futaba into a Spektrum?
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
Joined Nov 2011
223 Posts
So, if I read the pin right, I want to tap into the ground, ppm out and battery?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:02 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
Why turn a Futaba into a Spektrum?
In this thread,because the Futaba is an old AM radio.

In the linked thread, possibly to be able to fly all the cool BNF stuff?
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:37 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,510 Posts
I thought that might be so.
Even some people I know who have abandoned Spektrum still keep a transmitter on hand to fly the small models they build using the little bricks from the HH toys.
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211