What is the construction, EPS?
yes
alucard0822 is online now Find More Posts by alucard0822
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Apr 2006
132 Posts
I will give this old thread a shot hoping someone can help ease the pain which is the other 50-60 percent of putting this nice plane together!

Just recently received this kit as a gift, got the foam and plane all put together. Now the fun part, hooking up a receiver with correct wiring, and programming the transmitter.

Now of course I do not have a DX7 because I am a cheap skate! I have a DX6I with the darn two peice receiver that is 6 channels.

Wiring it up should be pretty simple just need some advice, although since the receiver is two peice where do I shove it all in the bottom of the plane with all the dam wiring mess thats already in there? plus the stock or bigger battery pack? The instruction manual shows a one peice receiver going in! I could always order an orange mini box receiver from hobbyking that is 6 channels but I do not want to wait 2-3 weeks to get it from china. (I already have an order pending there now and this week is the second week with no luck!)

Once I figure out the receiver side, does anyone have any guidance to walk me through setting up the DX6I transmitter for the correct mixing and expos and dual rates and everything? I know basic stuff but not alot of the stuff the manual shows you how to do with the DX7?!?!

Greatly would appreciate it! I hope someone can help me!
elite311 is offline Find More Posts by elite311
Old Jan 22, 2012, 09:35 AM
All Electric
St. Louis, MO. USA
Joined Aug 2010
60 Posts
If you look back through this thread and the freewing f-35 thread there should be someone who has the DX6i programming. I have the DX-8 and had to use every channel available. This was the most complicated programming I have ever done and it took a lot of trial and error to get things mixed together. (2) of the stock servos stripped after the first flight (TV servo and a elevator servo (reverse servo) so I had to plug a regular servo and reverse it in the radio. Make sure you use better hinges for the elevators as the stock ones are no good. As far as the receiver location, I just jammed it down with the rest of the wires and had no problems with it. Hope you have fun with this. I did.
Cabertoss is offline Find More Posts by Cabertoss
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:46 AM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Hey y'all, just got mine (kit version) from gravesrc.com! I like it, though the foam does look like it would not hold up well in a crash...oh well. Anyway, I am looking at ordering servo's n' stuff for it. Any recommendations?? Pref. Hk, as I've had no prob.'s with them so far. Want to keep it light, n' pref. cheap. Hxt 900's? Or MG's? TV need's good centering one's I assume... anyone? Also, good replacement hinges....where do ya get those from?
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old May 01, 2012, 09:22 AM
buffalo n.y.
Joined Jul 2009
79 Posts
can someone help,i have a dx8 for the f35 but mixing is confusing
example mix 2 rud-flap i cannot program flap does not show up
please help
sparky210 is online now Find More Posts by sparky210
Old May 01, 2012, 12:27 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky210 View Post
can someone help,i have a dx8 for the f35 but mixing is confusing
example mix 2 rud-flap i cannot program flap does not show up
please help
Flap is aux1. The basic setup is standard 4 channel with Ys for ailerons and elevators, gear for retracts, and mixes for rudder to aux1(TV rudder) and elevator to aux2(TV elevator), both mixes run to a switch. It is relatively straight forward if you are familiar with the DX8 software, and it leaves a channel open for something else if you wish, I have an aileron gyro on mine, but you could do flapperons, or make gear doors and sequence them through the radio. I did try a taileron mix, it makes the already fast roll rate with good authority seriously overpowering, and made the plane tough to control, although it gave better control in stalls and harriers, I got rid of it, and went back to a standard setup. The plane can slow down nicely, so spoilerons for landing aren't really needed.
Old May 01, 2012, 03:47 PM
buffalo n.y.
Joined Jul 2009
79 Posts
thanks alucard0822
did you ever try to hand lunch
Old May 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky210 View Post
thanks alucard0822
did you ever try to hand lunch
I mostly hand launch, my club has a grass field, and the flimsy mechanical retracts won't make it 10 feet till they rip out. I do like taking off and landing with the gear at a schoolyard I fly at with a parking lot, and it is a lot easier. I hold my hand flat, grab the wheel well with my thumb, run with the nose up a bit at full throttle, and just guide it along gently. It sinks a little, stabilizes and then picks up enough speed to pull out, as long as you keep the wings level and release it right, it will fly, and if the wind isn't in your favor, or you don't release it just right it simply lands a few feet infront of you. I have added skids underneath to protect the TV linkage, just a pair of plastic dubro tailskids.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:39 AM
buffalo n.y.
Joined Jul 2009
79 Posts
when you lunch it does it seems slow,almost a stall ,or does stays on track
i hand a hk t-33 hand lunch and would stall, sometimes you could it to level out,but most
of the time crash,i hope this f-35 will hand lunch
Old May 04, 2012, 07:21 AM
buffalo n.y.
Joined Jul 2009
79 Posts
flew the f-35 yesterday ,it used a lot of run way for it to take off from the blacktop,
but once it up it fly nice ,landing was a little hard broke the 2 sides of landing gear,
replace them with eflites set ,works great,could not hand lunch ,not enough punch
for take off
Old Jun 15, 2012, 06:59 PM
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Posted this on the freewing thread of this plane, thought I would post it here for those who aren't subscribed to it Just maidened tonight! No wind n' sun was shining... Was just right. Took it out back behind the barns on the gravel driveway. First attempt folded the nose gear and it slid into the hay field! Took five minutes to reconnect the steering rod... and after contemplating hand launching, decided to give it another go ROG. Decided to start off with Thrust vectoring on..... Eased on the throttle with full up elevator to keep the weight off the nose... She left the ground in less than 40 feet! Amazingly, was trimmed almost perfect! Definitely not a speed demon, was close to 70 mph is my guess. Took a few passes to trim it out, then did a few full throttle passes... and took it up high, cut the throttle... stall speed was very forgiving ( never really stalled) she just floats. Did a few barrel rolls and almost lost it once or twice while glancing down at my TX!! (gonna slop that yellow paint on!) only did one loop (tight radius with TV on!) Then took three passes attempting to land .... on the fourth pass the motor quit! Dead-sticked it right into a patch of tall hay. I Like it, was wanting more speed... but hoping it's 3-D capabilities will out-shine it's lack of mach speed!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Also, here is my build video...
F -- 35 by freewing\Hobby lobby (1 min 2 sec)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussyjonny View Post
Posted this on the freewing thread of this plane, thought I would post it here for those who aren't subscribed to it Just maidened tonight! No wind n' sun was shining... Was just right. Took it out back behind the barns on the gravel driveway. First attempt folded the nose gear and it slid into the hay field! Took five minutes to reconnect the steering rod... and after contemplating hand launching, decided to give it another go ROG. Decided to start off with Thrust vectoring on..... Eased on the throttle with full up elevator to keep the weight off the nose... She left the ground in less than 40 feet! Amazingly, was trimmed almost perfect! Definitely not a speed demon, was close to 70 mph is my guess. Took a few passes to trim it out, then did a few full throttle passes... and took it up high, cut the throttle... stall speed was very forgiving ( never really stalled) she just floats. Did a few barrel rolls and almost lost it once or twice while glancing down at my TX!! (gonna slop that yellow paint on!) only did one loop (tight radius with TV on!) Then took three passes attempting to land .... on the fourth pass the motor quit! Dead-sticked it right into a patch of tall hay. I Like it, was wanting more speed... but hoping it's 3-D capabilities will out-shine it's lack of mach speed!
The rear gear is well behind the CG, so it is stable, but the tail has to push down hard to get enough leverage to lift the nose, of course more speed takes less effort, but it's common with semi-scale EDFs. The retracts are plastic junk, so anything other than gentle takeoffs and landings from smooth pavement will destroy them. It is no speed demon, being a fairly draggy airframe 70MPH is about it, although it is fairly light and has a decent stock power system, so vertical isn't that bad, although it is limited. I put a 60A E-flite ESC in, and on occasion run a 5S pack, it has unlimited vertical then, but the extra weight is really obvious, and packs go quick, it pulls about 65-70A. Most of the time I just use a 30C 2650 4S pack, it really foats and handles better with less weight and pulls about 40-45A, I think a higher KV motor, and possibly a better fan should get it pulling around 55A on 4S safe for a 60A ESC, and should have barely unlimited vertical, that would probably be the best option
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:25 PM
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
My little 64mm is pulling 64 amps n' 'round 900 watts for only 'bout 1100 grams of thrust.
(bought the motor then looked for an airframe I wanted... stupid me!)
I am guessing it flies close to stock but pulls over 20 Amps more!
This is with my one-year-old 3000 Mah 4s 20c Turnigy battery. Going to try my 2200 Nanotech 35-50c next!
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:32 AM
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Bench tested the 2200 35c nanotech Turnigy battery and got … 1.38 KG of thrust!! I'm happy with that! So had my third flight last night at dusk, was hard to see it even with all the yellow paint I put on! Was so worth it even though on landing my mains did not deploy, and it bounced along on the nose gear and TV servo after it ripped out!! (still works great tho, glad I got metal gear!) lost the linkage and broke the thrust vectoring ball joint (piece broke off and guides inside must have broken as it twists freely now).
Sure was weird, as I picked the plane up and cycled the gear several times and it worked flawlessly!) Guess I'll try to patch up the TV unit, as my plane funds are dried up at the moment. I saw HK has 70 MM thrust vector unit for sale for seven dollars, anyone tried it?