New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:13 PM
Find More Posts by speedactyl
Defies Logic & Common Sense
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,247 Posts
sorry Dave , no plans were made on the canopy , its custom made leatherette construction. unless your looking something more exotic to skin it with , if you want them commission? will check on it. its for a 450 Size Heli

alternatively I do have plans for the PX22-A Speedactyl model
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1731975
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
Last edited by speedactyl; Mar 25, 2015 at 10:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2015, 03:39 AM
Find More Posts by philgib
Joined Oct 2005
672 Posts
Good reading
http://www.gizmag.com/bird-inspired-...ne-wing/36800/
philgib is offline Find More Posts by philgib
Old Apr 02, 2015, 09:21 PM
Find More Posts by KenChin
NewFlyer
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Joined Aug 2006
636 Posts
Here's my contribution. Packing tape all the way..
KenChin is offline Find More Posts by KenChin
Old Apr 06, 2015, 02:49 AM
Find More Posts by speedactyl
Defies Logic & Common Sense
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Jun 2012
1,247 Posts

missed to have a few inflight shots of this thing.
speedactyl is online now Find More Posts by speedactyl
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by philgib
Joined Oct 2005
672 Posts
Yesterday, I flew behind an eagle at about 300 meters from me. My Penguin was about the same size as the eagle about 2m span.

Something strange happened. When i was approaching her from the back, the wind coming from the other way, she may not have heard it until the last minute.

The eagle, while flying, suddenly very clearly shaked her spreaded wings for a few seconds while gliding. Then she turns 180 degrees and tried to fly higher than my plane. I obviously knew what she was working at... She had her revenge and she was a real pain to get rid of for long minutes. I had to eventually fly above my head at low altitude and clap in my hands to imitate a hunting gun noise so that she would let my plane alone.

My question : does shaking the spreaded wings means anything in eagle language ? Did I scare her, or was she threatening me, was that some body language ? Anyway, I will stop bothering her, there is no point doing that.

I could have directed that question to the Dutch master falconer here :-), but maybe the answer may help other pilots.
philgib is offline Find More Posts by philgib
Last edited by philgib; Today at 08:08 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
Lee
Find More Posts by Lee
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,611 Posts
Years ago we were dropping frozen starlings from RC planes for the Peregrine falcons to catch. I think there are some pictures of our efforts at the first of this thread. This thread was started because of the things were were doing and the planes we designed to do it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=2

I was told by the falconer that was training the birds that the bird in the high position is in the kill position and has an advantage over birds below it. Birds don't have a very high rate of climb but they have fantastic speed and control in a dive. We even saw birds that are normally predators hide in a bush when another bird got altitude advantage over it. I have found that if I stay low and circle slowly the other birds will come fly with me but if I get high noisy and fast they leave.

We get big pelicans coming through here in large groups. They are 4' to 7' birds and not afraid of much. A few years ago we had a flock of 50 or so that was circling off to the north and I went up with one of my flying wings and started doing a slow lazy circle. Before long the entire group of pelicans came over and was circling with me. I think they think I had found a thermal because I was circling without flapping. There is some comedy to the event. For some reason they all started lightening their load at the same time. It took me a second to realize what was happening and I didn't know what to do or where to go. I had to wash my car. Amazing how big of a white spot one of those big birds can make. At least it didn't leave a dent.
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Last edited by Lee; Yesterday at 10:21 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM
Find More Posts by fauconnier
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgib View Post
Yesterday, I flew behind an eagle at about 300 meters from me. My Penguin was about the same size as the eagle about 2m span.

Something strange happened. When i was approaching her from the back, the wind coming from the other way, she may not have heard it until the last minute.

The eagle, while flying, suddenly very clearly shaked her spreaded wings for a few seconds while gliding. Then she turns 180 degrees and tried to fly higher than my plane. I obviously knew what she was working at... She had her revenge and she was a real pain to get rid of for long minutes. I had to eventually fly above my head at low altitude and clap in my hands to imitate a hunting gun so that she would let my plane alone.

My question : does shaking the spreaded wings means anything in eagle language ? Did I scare here, or was she threatening me, was that some body language ? Anyway, I will stop bothering her, there is no point doing that.

I could have directed that question to the Dutch master falconer here :-), but maybe the answer may help other pilots.
Although I am a falconer since 2004 , I don't have specific experience of flying an eagle. Birds of prey shake their feathers after grooming, bathing or simply to put them in place. When, on the fist, we remove the hood from the head of a falcon before flying , they usually shake their feathers before they leave the fist. For us it's a positive sign of a comfortable bird preparing itself to leave the fist to do the job he was trained for. May be the eagle was soaring for a long time and he shook his feathers to prepare them for action.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by fauconnier
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
770 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Years ago we were dropping frozen starlings from RC planes for the Peregrine falcons to catch. I think there are some pictures of our efforts at the first of this thread. This thread was started because of the things were were doing and the planes we designed to do it. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=2

I was told by the falconer that was training the birds that the bird in the high position is in the kill position and has an advantage over birds below it. Birds don't have a very high rate of climb but they have fantastic speed and control in a dive. We even saw birds that are normally predators hide in a bush when another bird got altitude advantage over it. g birds can make..
The classical way to train a falcon for hunting is to encourage her to climb as soon as she quit the fist. We want her to take position high over us and stay there. When the prey is flushed by us, the falcon dive very fast to strike it. In the best scenario a 850 gr. falcon can hit a 1500 gr. prey so hard that the prey drop from the sky like a rock. That's the holy grail of a falconer ... it's mine.
fauconnier is offline Find More Posts by fauconnier