New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,923 Posts
Discussion
Carrying Lipos on QANTAS long haul flights?

Hi folks,

I'm travelling to France in a few days and am taking a toy with me but said toy needs to be run by 2200mah 3s batteries and I want to know if I can carry them with me legally?

I've read in other posts that the terminals need to be isolated and batteries carried in LiPo safe bags. Also, I've read that so long as the batteries are each under 100wH I can carry unlimited amounts (within normal carry-on weight limits of course).

Is this true and can someone link me to any up to date information they may know of please? I've tried ringing Qantas many times and they are always behind in their call queues by 15 mins plus and I haven't got time to sit around at the moment.

Cheers,

TS.
Teamsherman is online now Find More Posts by Teamsherman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2015, 06:46 PM
Find More Posts by EpicRC
How far does it go?
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,955 Posts
Probably better if you just ship them over there prior to your arrival
EpicRC is online now Find More Posts by EpicRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 450 pics
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:46 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,923 Posts
It's ok.

I rang a nice lady at Qantas and she checked for me and emailed me a link to the ruling.

As long as the total doesn't exceed 101Wh then I can carry them onboard with me. The batteries I'm taking only total 97Wh but if I want an extra battery or two I can just stick a few in my wife's carry on as well.

Cheerio off to France I go!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Joined May 2012
187 Posts
Better hope the security guy at the airport has a degree in electrical engineering, or good luck explaining Wh to the guy (or gal, I suppose), unless the packs are labelled and say the capacity in Watt-Hours. MilliAmp-Hours times Volts probably isn't going to get you past the checkpoint!
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by ZIPPER
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,780 Posts
Its pretty dum that you can take lipo's on as hand luggage but you can't take s tube of toothpaste.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Mar 24, 2015, 01:26 AM
Find More Posts by Curare
KE your cub.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2005
4,308 Posts
no, no, that makes sense! Have you ever popped a tube of toothpaste in your bag? The mess is unveleivable! I'd much rather pop a lipo. At least there's no clean up, just put it out and throw it out!
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
Old Mar 24, 2015, 03:50 AM
Find More Posts by gouch
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsled666 View Post
Better hope the security guy at the airport has a degree in electrical engineering, or good luck explaining Wh to the guy (or gal, I suppose), unless the packs are labelled and say the capacity in Watt-Hours. MilliAmp-Hours times Volts probably isn't going to get you past the checkpoint!
volts * Ah 12.6 * 2.2 = 27.72 Wh, hardly electrical engineering calculations. And only someone who wishes to throw batteries away would try and bring them on an aircraft with no labelling.

I'm heading OS next week with a 150 w/h powerbank. I.E 5 volts @ 30,000 mah Malaysia airlines are cool up to 160......sort of... up to 100 no issues at all, between 100 to 160 it can go on with their approval, meaning I will have to tell them about it and if they are nice I get to keep it, if they are having a bad day, in the bin it goes.

They will want to see correct labelling. I probably should have bought 2 of 100 w/h as that is ok......kind of weird really when you think about it that you can take maximum 2 of the 100 size packs onboard, but not one 200 w/h size pack.

Zip, I'm hearing you but I'd much rather have a cabin with li-pos than checked baggage with li-pos.
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Mar 24, 2015, 11:28 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,923 Posts
All good, I've got plenty of email proof from a nice guy at Qantas DG department saying that the batteries will be good to go, and yes, they are all individually labelled and as part of the protocol they have to be individually wrapped also with their terminals isolated for no chance of short circuit but with the Deans and Balance plugs the only terminals on the batteries they are pretty easily isolated and not that easily short circuited. And being carry on they will be treated with due respect thats for sure.

Anyway, if they give me any grief and dont let me carry them I'll just buy a battery or 2 when I get there, no big deal.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 04:15 AM
Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,882 Posts
I tried the same thing on a trip to Kenya just over a year ago, emirates downright refused (even after I argued they are similar to laptop batteries)

That was on an A380, I guess they don't want to lose a $500M aircraft to a $100 lipo

Additionally, you need to think of any interconnecting flights, each airline seems to have their own conditions.

After seeing some vids taken in africa recently by yanks however, there's no doubt there are ways around this, I wish I knew how.
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:55 AM
Find More Posts by ticketec
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Oct 2004
1,198 Posts
QF have just changed their rules about the carriage of Lithium batteries.

It mainly relates to cargo hold items, but it might be worth checking again to see if the carry-on limits have also changed.

Thanks

dave
ticketec is offline Find More Posts by ticketec
Old Mar 25, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by Benagen
Blurry Iriot
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Sep 2013
248 Posts
Lol so smack a sticker off a smaller battery on the one you want to use and see if you get through customs, probly best not to try that with a 12s
Benagen is offline Find More Posts by Benagen
Old Mar 27, 2015, 03:25 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,923 Posts
Not one drama at all. They were in my carry on and I took out the Lipo safe bag and put it in the trays to go through X-ray at security and even at Dubai through to Paris I didn't even need to get them out of my backpack.

Easy as!

Keep eyes peeled for some beautiful French country side footage!!!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by EpicRC
How far does it go?
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,955 Posts
Lucky bugger! What did you take with you?
EpicRC is online now Find More Posts by EpicRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 450 pics
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:50 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87 View Post
Lucky bugger! What did you take with you?
Just a mates Phantom and a GoPro. Nothing fancy but I want to get some nice footage they can use on the holiday letting sites they use to get guests to come and stay at their countryside Gite (French holiday house). And the scenery buildings are just beautiful! The building we are staying in has been around longer than Australia has been colonised.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:21 PM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,923 Posts
Oh, coming into spring here we're still at the tail end of winter and the winds are forecast as extreme wind warnings for the next two days so no flying till probably Wednesday at the earliest unfortunately. As good as this little Phantoms GPS/ATTI mode is it would get blown over at the moment!!