HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:38 AM
San Diego, California, United States
Joined Feb 2002
2,467 Posts
Discussion
JHH Mirage/KFIR Build Thread

Hi Guys,

Ok, I figure it's time to make a contribution to the land of RCGRoups again. This is a project that I've been working on for the last few months in my spare time (since before AZ jets). I actually started it probably some 5 years ago and it's been hanging up virtually all in primer for the last few years I'd say. It's been one of those projects where I'd pull it down for a bit, work on it some and then hang it up again. I figured now was the time to dust her off and finish her up. I originally set the airplane up for an MW-54 turbine, but have decided to drop a 12s E-Turbax into it instead. Most of the construction is done, so much of this thread will be the finishing and detailing of the airplane. I haven't been able to build much in quite some time, so it's nice to get back at it again!

I'm building the airplane as a Swiss Mirage IIIRS which is the swiss recon variant. What's interesting is that it is a full Mirage IIIR airframe, but has a KFIR style canard that is about 70% of the size of what is on the KFIR. I figure, it's the best of both worlds, as I always loved the lines of the Mirage III but also the canard look of the KFIR. Anyways, here's a few pics of the airplane as she sets and what she is destined to be. The Mirage has always been one of my favorites, so I'm looking forward to finally getting this one flying!

Chris
JetMang is offline Find More Posts by JetMang
Last edited by JetMang; Jan 01, 2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Updated the thread title
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2002
2,467 Posts
After pulling the airplane down to begin work, the first item of business was to pull out the inlets that had been cut back and the turbine engine mounts. The inlets pulled out pretty easily by heating them up and breaking away the fuse/inlet seem with a putty knife. DF mounting tabs were already installed as I had originally planned DF before deciding to go turbine. So, once the turbine stuff was out, the replacement inlets were installed and the inlet lip and interfaces were cleaned up.

Chris
Old Feb 03, 2009, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Bellevue, WA
Joined Feb 2004
2,083 Posts
Chris,

I'm signing on to follow your progress. I may be getting one of these in the near future.

Kirk
k_sonn is offline Find More Posts by k_sonn
Last edited by k_sonn; Feb 03, 2009 at 12:21 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:04 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
awesome chris! one of myfaves for sure!

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,467 Posts
After that, I began work on the nose gear installation and the nose doors. They were cut out of the fuse using masking tape as a guide and a razor saw to cut. AFter that the nose gear plate was epoxied in and the doors were hinged. It took me some time to get it all working correctly as the nose doors are in three pieces. The aft door cycles with the retraction, so it will be actuated via servo. On the nose doors, the front door will pull the aft door closed as it is pulled closed via elastic cord.

Later, I added the inner door details. The nose door details are done with 1/32 and 1/16 basswood and the aft door was done with balsa and 1/64 ply. Also added some risers, etc. to get the doors to offset more scale. I still have a little more fitting to done on the aft door, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the door fit.

Chris
Old Feb 03, 2009, 12:13 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,467 Posts
Cool, thanks guys! I can't wait to get her flying.

More later.
Old Feb 03, 2009, 01:03 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,444 Posts
sweet chris! keep the progress rolling!
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Feb 03, 2009, 01:27 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,779 Posts
love that scale leg!!!!! makes all the diff on mirages, jsut never looks right without it.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Feb 03, 2009, 01:39 PM
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,662 Posts
Chris with the amount of detail you seem to be adding will you be competing with this plane?

I am starting to think the group is a bad influence on me, just added a Mirage/KFIR to my must have list. This Winter isnt even over yet and already I am planning next Winters builds.

cooper998
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Feb 03, 2009, 02:42 PM
BVM Viper Fever
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,532 Posts
Sweet work Chris! I love the intricacy of those gear door.
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Old Feb 03, 2009, 02:53 PM
USA, NY, Corning
Joined Jul 2000
253 Posts
I echo everyone else Chris! It's looking good. Keep the details coming, I love that stuff! Nose gear doors are cool.

Old Feb 03, 2009, 03:44 PM
Joined Feb 2002
2,467 Posts
Thanks guys! Hopefully I'll get some more work done tonight. It's pretty much detail work that is left. The canards and dorsal have yet to be glued in place mostly because I'm trying to avoid having to turn the airplane over with them on. More chance to get a sweet ding in one of them!

@ Cooper998, Competition is always a possibility, but mostly I just like doing all the detail stuff. It's part of the challenge for me...though, my wife just calls me anal.

Chris
Old Feb 03, 2009, 04:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
130 Posts
I Have An Affinity For The Mirage And Will Keep A Keen Interest. Kudos!
lavamig is offline Find More Posts by lavamig
Old Feb 03, 2009, 05:25 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,496 Posts
Nice work on the gear doors Chris! signning on for the full build!
Scott
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Feb 03, 2009, 07:22 PM
2014 EDF JET JAM We be Jamming
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,850 Posts
Very nice work Chris!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox