HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:41 PM
Joined Feb 2009
110 Posts
Help!
Recommed a DSM2 4-6 channel receiver for old balsa plane

Hey guys, my experience in RC is of cars and helis for many years. I am repairing and converting to electric, a nearly 30 year old Telemaster 66 plane (about 5lbs au weight balsa/ply trainer). The old airtroincs servos seem fine, and I want to use them if I can. I have the motor/esc on order, and all I need is a DSM2 compatible receiever, so I can use my existing Spektum DX7 to fly it.

I need a recommendation on a receiver for this......I have always used Spektrum AR6110e receivers on my helis, and in fact, have a new one in hand that I could use. But, I figured this micro receiver was more heli oriented, with its small dual antenna setup. Can I use this inside a wood plane fuselage without problems? Is there a better low priced receiver I can buy? I looked, and it seems DSM2 is old news now, and the offerings are getting slim. The Orange brand china stuff from HK was an option, but are all OOS at the moment, except for the ones with flight stabilization, which I really don't want to mess with at this point.

TLDR: I just want a reliable and suitable 4-6 channel DSM2 receiver for my plane. Ideas?
Jimbo45 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2014, 01:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,057 Posts
I would get an AR400 or AR610 for the Telemaster.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 20, 2014, 03:04 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo45 View Post
.....and all I need is a DSM2 compatible receiever, so I can use my existing Spektum DX7 to fly it.
......I looked, and it seems DSM2 is old news now, and the offerings are getting slim. .......
TLDR: I just want a reliable and suitable 4-6 channel DSM2 receiver for my plane. Ideas?
You don't need "a DSM2 receiver" to fly with your DX7. All DSMX receivers are backward compatible with DSM2, so ANY spektrum receiver will work. The AR400 is all you need for that plane, unless you want to add things that need extra channels (controllable lights, bomb drop, etc) But your AR6110e RX's will work fine as well.

The ar400 is cheap, but if you are going to be spending money on an RX, I would get an AR610 for $20 more so later on your can use it in something else with more than 4 channels.
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 20, 2014, 05:51 PM
Middletown, DE, United States
Joined Dec 2003
474 Posts
Disclaimer up front: I have several Spektrum DSM2 receivers and they all work well. That out of the way, an alternative if you want DSM2 only is:

http://www.lemon-rx.com/shop/index.p...&product_id=93

They also work well.
Bick is offline Find More Posts by Bick
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:41 PM
Joined Feb 2009
110 Posts
Thanks fellas. I ordered an AR610. The amplified antenna looks perfect for this heavy plane, and 6 channels to swap around to something else if need be. Thanks again!
Jimbo45 is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45