Old Aug 22, 2014, 04:28 PM
slow climbing turn to the left
USA, CT, North Branford
Joined Sep 2009
108 Posts
Discussion
Goodbye Flying Models magazine?

From Flying Models FB page today:
"It is with regret that Carstens Publicatons, Inc. will be closing permanently at close of business on Friday, August 22, 2014. Carstens Publications, Inc. has been a leading publisher of leading hobby magazines for over 50 years. Unfortunately the current economic climate has placed us in this position. Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence. But I can offer no guarantees. We thank you for your patronage over the years, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors."
--Henry R. Carstens, President
Carstens Publications, Inc.
dhdrover is offline Find More Posts by dhdrover
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2014, 04:56 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,934 Posts
Wow. I wonder what will happen to the plans service?
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:01 PM
Gunbarrel, CO
Joined Dec 2006
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
Wow. I wonder what will happen to the plans service?
With Outerzone.com plans, one would think that there would be little loss without these plans, many of which will probably appear in Outerzone over time.
alset is offline Find More Posts by alset
Old Aug 22, 2014, 05:53 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,678 Posts
I always preferred Flying Models to Model Airplane News. Somehow their plans had more appeal, particularly recently.

Carstens also published Model Railroader, which dates back to the early 20th century.

Sad commentary on the hobby industry.

Pete G
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Aug 22, 2014, 06:39 PM
United States, TN, Thompson's Station
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
I had read somewhere that Thayer Syme just went over to FM. Hope he's got a place to go.

I will sorely miss the builder's articles... Not too much of that left in the other mags.
tblount70 is offline Find More Posts by tblount70
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:07 PM
Joined Jan 2007
597 Posts
That was my favorite modeling magazine but i have to admit i have not bought any magazines in the last couple of years do to my shrinking funds,
larryg is offline Find More Posts by larryg
Old Aug 22, 2014, 08:17 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
My Flying Model Mags go back to about 1970. Really sad--feel like a good friend just died.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Aug 22, 2014, 09:37 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,071 Posts
That's a shame, was a good mag. Was better a couple of decades ago.. but.
IMO perhaps self inflicted though.
They made a half hearted , arguably Inept attempt at going online.. where a paid subscriber Could Not download their mag.. only read it on their web site.
Their content Protectionism stance caused me to not buy into it.. Likely Not the only one.. given the result.
Silly attitude that, as according to my Magazine Business info, 70% of a paper magazines' budget is in printing and subsequent distribution costs.
Leaving Very little for rent, staff and content.
Whereas Online printing/distribution..costs almost nothing.

Aged attitudes .. sigh. Still it 's a shame,
Wonder if some bottom feeder will abscond with the plans archive and do like the Current RCM 'plans 'service' does; take the $ and run?
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Aug 22, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 11:23 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,308 Posts
I beleive that many of the flying models plans have already found there way over to Model Aviation's plans archive. Very good stuff but a little spendy if you ask me...

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Aug 23, 2014, 01:18 AM
SantaAna CA
Joined Aug 2003
316 Posts
Another victim of the decline of the airplane model hobby and the airplane model hobbyist, which the current proliferation of ARFs'. profiles, foamies, and other flying toys are not.
We are not alone, amateur radio has suffered in a similar manner. Gone are the "hams" with their home made equipment, the bands are populated mostly by appliance operators instead of radio operators. Morse code? Is that like area, zip, etc codes??
EloyM is offline Find More Posts by EloyM
Old Aug 23, 2014, 07:04 AM
memphis TN
Joined Sep 2003
68 Posts
Dang! It 's the only mag I subscribe to. My subscription runs to 2017. I really enjoyed the mix of genres.
old navy is offline Find More Posts by old navy
Old Aug 23, 2014, 09:47 AM
Joined Jul 2009
86 Posts
They didn't keep up with the times.

I did not renew my subscription after an earlier round of delayed publications; I feel bad for the guys who just renewed or have current subscriptions.

Wish I'd ordered some more of those plans for the bucket list...
IndoorFlyerABQ is online now Find More Posts by IndoorFlyerABQ
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:56 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
This sucks! I had hoped they would succeed, since they still had some decent construction articles and columns, and I felt they had done a good job carrying the flag since the departure of Model Builder. I wish I'd kept all my 1970s copies of FM, RCM, Model Builder and American Aircraft Modeler. Model Aviation started out as a good magazine, but today it's not worth the paper it's printed on. I guess this yet another sign that the hobby is getting grey, but at least we have Outerzone.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Aug 23, 2014, 01:52 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
966 Posts
It's a shame. It really was the last of the breed. Can you get the new Aeromodeler in the US? Is it good?
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:00 PM
Joined May 2009
595 Posts
Flying Models was my first glimpse into model building. Once, about every two weeks, my dad took me to town on Saturday morning for a haircut (in the mid-sixties your hair was kept short). Red brick streets, antique street lamps (even for then), Cole's Double Dip Ice Cream Parlor, the Capitol Barber Shop, and two doors down from that, Jack's News Stand.

If I was lucky, dad let me get my hair cut first. That always left time for me to head straight down to Jack's, across the creaking wooden floors, past the popcorn machine to the last magazine stand on the left, where I spent the next 15 or 20 minutes pouring through the most current issue of Flying Models magazine. The plans were absolutely amazing to a 7 or 8 year old boy, and the engines advertised left me dreaming. No way I had the 25 or 30 cents needed to take home a copy, but It's safe to say that the magazine was no longer new when the time came to leave. The smell of the place and the remembrance of looking for the "magazine with the bright yellow banner" are some of my best childhood memories.

I was obviously already interested in models before I saw my first Flying Models, but it's no stretch to say that it was a major reason that I still, to this day, am building and flying. This is sad.
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb