HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:26 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Discussion
Twisted Hobbies Crack Turbo Beaver

I got my Twisted Hobbies Crack Turbo Beaver a few weeks ago and spent about half the day assembling it but have had many battery packs since enjoying it. Just seeing has anybody else on here gotten one and found the same pleasure I have out of it??? The assembly manual was very detailed and the designer offers an assembly video also so getting it RTF was easy.
THX,
Jeff Williams
jwilliamsrc is offline Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2013, 09:37 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Is nobody flying one of these on here? I think this is one of the funnest foamies I have ever had.
Jeff
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:31 AM
What Canary?
Huntsville, AL USA
Joined Jul 2000
1,735 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991265 has a lot more info on the CTB
KeithK is offline Find More Posts by KeithK
Old Oct 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Thanks KeithK I have been on that thread but was just seeing if there are any folks over here flying it. Always hoping to share ideas and stuff with others so thought I would post here. The thing is a blast.
Jeff
Old Oct 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
That plane is on my list of planes I want to build this winter for my first 3D plane. Is it tame on low rates?
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Oct 25, 2013, 07:59 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty909 View Post
That plane is on my list of planes I want to build this winter for my first 3D plane. Is it tame on low rates?
Actually I believe you could train someone on this plane. I am working on a video to show the sport flying qualities of it.
Jeff
Old Oct 25, 2013, 08:28 PM
Fly It Til the Wings Fall Off
United States, ME, Parkman
Joined Apr 2012
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilliamsrc View Post
Actually I believe you could train someone on this plane. I am working on a video to show the sport flying qualities of it.
Jeff
I've seen other videos of it flying, It will be interesting to see yours. I've been thinking about a Multiplex Acromaster but would like something a bit smaller.
scotty909 is offline Find More Posts by scotty909
Old Oct 29, 2013, 08:44 PM
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,050 Posts
Got some video shot but I just did not like the way it turned out, so will try again the next good weather day. OK, the truth is my wife lost it in the viewfinder too often as I was having her try shooting video a new way, did not work. Bear with me.
Jeff
Old Oct 17, 2014, 05:44 AM
Joined Oct 2014
3 Posts
Crack Beaver is awesome

Hey Jeff,

I didn't like the CTB much at first, but I'm a little more old school than 3d so when it was nosing up all the time I wasn't quite used that and my brain was thinking it was stalling. Another strange feature is the massive amount of rudder input you need to fly it. Ailerons and elevator is just not enough unless you are moving fast. Now that I've gotten used to it , I love it. With 2S batteries on low rates it's like a trainer. With 3S batteries it can move pretty fast and fly more old school sport style with the real rules of gravity. I did manage to burn up my motor or esc by forgetting to change to a smaller prop (8 X 4.3) however, so now I'm looking at getting a little hotter motor to make it go a little faster. For me the 3s is better for bigger fields and competing with wind and the 2s are great for the back yard and putting around.

So far all I've suffered are easily repairable cracks, but there is an inherent weakness in the wings at the point where the inner part of the ailerons are. This is the thinnest part of the wing and I've cracked this about 5 times now. I finally glued a little piece of EPP foam on the top and some strong light cardboard on the bottom, and haven't had any problems since. A little strip of 1/64th plywood would probably be better.

The CTB is a really fun plane no matter what your style, especially if you love Beavers as much as I do.
Eraserfish is offline Find More Posts by Eraserfish
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:04 AM
St. Louis
Joined Aug 2007
121 Posts
"Eraserfish" I noticed the same thing when I flew my Crack Pitts for the first time. It just wanted to pitch into hover with barely any input. I think that's the point with this 3D flying stuff, something to to do with the neutral balance. I am more of an aerobatic flyer so I solved this tendency by moving the battery forward to make it more "nose heavy" now she flys like I like!
Sethorus is offline Find More Posts by Sethorus
Old Oct 21, 2014, 02:36 PM
United States, MI, Macomb
Joined Nov 2003
244 Posts
Here's another good one thats a little bit cheaper and has a full fuse http://www.wmparkflyers.com/highland...9e3b2823bd5cb0
pecor is offline Find More Posts by pecor