HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:40 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,589 Posts
We cut a new joiner mould for Sean's Deepend this morning, out of Corian. Really a great exercise, because although it's a simple shape to cut, I badly need the practice at 1) drawing, 2) toolpaths and 3) cutting!

Geoff knows a lot more about using Rhino than me so it was great to have him there doing some of the moves about 100 times faster than me.

We had a bit of a worry when there was a little lip right in the corners of the joiner slot, and we couldn't seem to create any toolpaths which took it out. Geoff had to leave at this point, unfulfilled! We were confused until I tried the pencil cut option (which is recommended to be used following Z finishes and planar finishes, but I've never seemed to need it) and it cleaned the lip up perfectly in one quick sweep. Perfect.

I also almost had an enormous stuffup when we went to do the final profile cut out around the outside of the blocks. I had made a really basic mistake but I was so sure of myself that I didn't visually check the toolpath positions, which was really dangerous! Fortunately a soft limit warning that wouldn't go away made us go back to check the toolpaths and I won't give you the long story, but if we hadn't been stopped the machine would have begun ripping up the table bed very quickly and probably destroying the job!

Anyway it turned out really nice! Radiused corners, perfect matched shapes, a super snug slip fit. Very chuffed.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2014, 03:13 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2002
1,081 Posts
Great job Andrew. Sean looks like a happy little camper !
Geoff_S is online now Find More Posts by Geoff_S
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:22 AM
It flies!
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
1,538 Posts
Thanks again Andrew, they're a really nice set of moulds, you did a great job. I did a little light finishing work to them today, I'll post more about it in the Deepend thread.
Sean Moloney is online now Find More Posts by Sean Moloney
Old Aug 31, 2014, 03:38 AM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,127 Posts
Nice work
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old Aug 31, 2014, 04:04 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008