HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 15, 2013, 03:38 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,958 Posts
Video
Analogue relative netto variometer (Old School)

Variometer under test.
"Old School". own design analogue variometer and receiver for model gliders.
Wireless variometer and super regenerative receiver for model airplane gliders (2 min 26 sec)

Power supply 9 VDC, 20 a 26 mA
Weight 3 oz /90 gram
Transmitter, MOPA, X-tal oscillator 50/200 MHz and power amplifier 200 MHz
Super-regenerative receiver and "in ear" telephone.
Range will be more than a mile, enough for normal use.

The video does show a dynamic test at several vertical speeds and a sort of flight simulation to show the capabilities.

These are "one of a kind" projects of me and too complicated and expensive to duplicate.

For who is interested.

I have send a request to the moderator to move this thread to a glider or electronic forum!!

TF
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Jun 15, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2013, 06:41 PM
Brazil, São Paulo, Santana de Parnaíba
Joined Nov 2008
141 Posts
Looks good! ( I like analog)

Immediate response.
(My MS5611 vario as a large [more than a couple seconds] delay.)
The 90g include the battery?
Dimensions?
What are you using as sensor?
What is MOPA ? (excuse my ignorance)
Cheers
vonkross is offline Find More Posts by vonkross
Old Jun 16, 2013, 08:45 AM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,958 Posts
No ignorance vonkross, my fault, I expected the post was located in the DIY electronics forum and MOPA is know in the "ham" world as Master Oscillator and Power Amplifier. So MOPA is abbreviated the way the transmitter carriër wave is generated.
The oscillator sometimes is used to couple the antenna with, not the best solution, in the MOPA there is an amplifier used as buffer between the oscillator and antenna.
In the past, the period of Grid Leaks Magazins in the USA a lot of modelers did read, MOPA was generally known. Most Kraft tube transmitters did have a MOPA RF section for example.

The variometer is of own design and based on the aneroid principle. Weight of 90 gram is "all in" with the 9 VDC battery of 200 mAh, good for about 8 hours of functionality. Volume is about 8 cubic inches, dimensions depending of the "analog" electronics and the internal room in the glider.

The vario in the video is under development, still without the casing. Transmitter range test was done, this video does show a test of dynamic response, sensitivity and define the data to archive. Much easier than writing down observations especially when acting solo.

Cees
Taurus Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Last edited by Taurus Flyer; Jun 16, 2013 at 08:52 AM.