HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
Building toys since 1941
Extreme southeast Kansas
Joined Aug 2007
126 Posts
Discussion
Silkspan question

I have been building some larger stick and tissue micros. The last two I covered with some light weight silkspan that a friend had given me. It worked out very well so I decided to order some. The first several places I looked said something to the effect of "out of stock" . They did not seem to know when it would be available..Have they quit making silkspan?
I did find one place that indicate that they had it in stock in fact it appears that they have two different weights of light weight material. Here is what they show K & S - 400 Silkspan Extra Lite 00 and K & S - 399 Silkspan "000" Grade .. Does anyone know which one is actually the lightest...Thanks
Keithhs is offline Find More Posts by Keithhs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:24 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Keithhs,

Is there any particular reason that you want Silkspan on a micro?

Silkspan is much heavier in density that either domestic or Japanese tissue. Yes, it is more durable, but it's overkill compared to regular tissue.

For most of my micros that require covering, I use grocery store produce bags. Very light and very durable. Attach with a glue stick, or diluted white glue. However, for planes under 10 grams, I use very thin Mylar or regular tissue - undoped and unshrunk!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:12 AM
Building toys since 1941
Extreme southeast Kansas
Joined Aug 2007
126 Posts
Thank you for your comments, 356Jim, I especially like your idea about the produce bags. I recently tried the glue stick method and it worked real well.

As far as overkill..the way I fly, cast iron would not be overkill in the durability department...LOL
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:59 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,071 Posts
They certainly have Not stopped making Silkspan.
Just bought a pile of it at my LHS. Although he did say it took a while for his restock delivery.. never a good sign.
Sadly I don't remember the naming convention for weights.
There were 3 grades available: light medium and heavy (which was)
Light IS light not quite as light as wrapping tissue though.
But close enough and multiples tougher

Tissue , in My models, too often punctures on landings when there are dried grass stalks about.
Consider Airspan (google) or it's various Clones for durability.. Lightest of the shrink coverings, has the appearance of well done tissue / silkspan coverings and Genuinely Tough.. Tree branch proof.. usually .
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:20 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
000 grade is the lightest. I'm surprised you could use it on micros, I assume you weren't shrinking it. Biggest drawback with silkspan is the amount of dope it takes to fill the pores. Biggest plus is it's really cheap.

scrubs
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:28 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,071 Posts
Well MY idea of Micros is 16 - 24" span.
I've given up chasing the 'ever shrinking' model/size' bandwagon.
Which means I can still see 'em in flight farther away than arms' length.
Plus I don't have to re-equip with smaller avionics.... every season .
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:11 AM
Building toys since 1941
Extreme southeast Kansas
Joined Aug 2007
126 Posts
I should have been more explicit...when I said large micros I was thinking 18-24 inch wing span. Thanks to each of you that took the time to reply...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 AM
Building toys since 1941
Extreme southeast Kansas
Joined Aug 2007
126 Posts
Follow up
I just talked to K&S, one if the main suppliers of silkspan and they told me it was no longer available...they are in the process of trying to find a new supplier..I was told that they had sent about 20 samples to manufacturers, but as of yet they had not found anyone to make it....Not good news....
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:00 AM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Keithhs check taxidermy supply like Wasco silkspan is used for fish fin repair and backing I do my own taxidermy work I use Wasco supply for most of my stuff but other places should have it also Sometimes you can also find it in store packaging like sears jc penny look for nice shirts boxed up or sometimes baby clothing, womens clothing I have found it localy in the past at craft stores as well
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Feb 23, 2013, 06:44 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
Keithhs,

Is there any particular reason that you want Silkspan on a micro?

Silkspan is much heavier in density that either domestic or Japanese tissue. Yes, it is more durable, but it's overkill compared to regular tissue.

For most of my micros that require covering, I use grocery store produce bags. Very light and very durable. Attach with a glue stick, or diluted white glue. However, for planes under 10 grams, I use very thin Mylar or regular tissue - undoped and unshrunk!!
I too have used plastic bags from supermarkets and our fruit supplier and have found them to be more durable than tissue and weigh not much more, especially if the latter has to be doped for use outdoors. I was surprised to find that the plastic bag material would heat shrink quite well.
Peter Mack is online now Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:25 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
used to use saran wrap on cf frame planes and depron frames I forget what brand been a long time ago but one brand was very light weight. Have used it on Balsa frames but doesnt look good some of the colored types looked fairly good buy were not light at all
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Feb 23, 2013, 08:14 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithhs View Post
...................................As far as overkill..the way I fly, cast iron would not be overkill in the durability department...LOL
I'm with 'ya!!

Another choice, if durability as well as lightweight strength is needed, try RA Microlite

Get it from David Lewis at [URL="http://www.homefly.com"]

It's not cheap, tho.................
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Last edited by 356Jim; Feb 23, 2013 at 08:43 PM.