SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
Discussion
What did I get myself into...

I'm a long term RC airplane modeler but recently came across what seemed like a deal on an RC boat kit at a swap meet. It is a Dumas Pay'n Pak kit. This is an older kit full of wood and instructions. This shouldn't be an issue for an airplane kit builder but I have some questions about running hardware and an appropriate engine.

The Dumas Boats website lists a Pay'n Pak but the specifications don't match my kit. The box states a length of 40+ inches and a .60 sized glow engine. The website lists a kit with a 30 inch length and .20 sized glow engine. Did they make two versions of this boat at one point? Part of the purchase was a box of hardware that appears to be for this smaller sized boat. The hardware box lists running hardware for a .19 engine that would seem to be for the smaller sized boat currently on the Dumas website. Could this hardware work or should I start looking for the correct equipment?

If this is a larger boat I'd be happy to build it but don't want to start something I can't finish (no hardware). Can someone suggest the hardware and engine required for this boat? It would make an excellent winter project for me and my sons.

Thanks,

Carl
carlcorn is offline Find More Posts by carlcorn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2012, 04:55 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,419 Posts
I am a newb also, but I can tell ya what I was told, after starting my classic dragonfly 20mk II, and you can still get drive gear for a 60 size boats! oh and go with modern stuff!

I'm shure you will get plenty of places ta look!

and yes back in the day, dumas built several sizes of most there kits! now that wood boats arn't so popular, they only do a few kits all together
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 06:26 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
Ron Olson should be able to point you in the right direction....
MN fish is offline Find More Posts by MN fish
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:21 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Dumas only had one size for the "Pay'n pak" and it was about 30" long for .19 size engine of the time. Build one in the late 70's and its Ok for fun running but too heavy(like most Dumas kits) for racing! The plan show a straight shaft drive, like all full size hydroplanes but a more modern cable drive could also be used. The Dumas hardware is not very good and very overpriced anyway:
http://www.dumasproducts.com/product...roducts_id=391
The kit is not too hard to build but over enginered like many designs of the period and the wood is of dubious quality, the is several threads here and on RCU about that boat.
There is a review on the site which soud about right:
by Jon Myers Date Added: Wednesday 14 December, 2011

This kit goes together fast. The boat handles fantastic with a large turn fin and large rudder, such as the Grim racer turn fin. I have clocked 41 mph with an OS TZ .18 engine and a Prather 220 prop.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Last edited by coriolan; Sep 06, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:31 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
Sorry as I've been gone since last Thursday morning.
Dumas did make 2 sizes. You can tell that it's an old kit when they talk about p[owering it with a .19 as they're pretty much non-existant today.
The kit's wood is heavy and porous so most people use the die-cut pieces and use them to transfer them to a better quality of lite ply. You'd want to use a better hardware kit than what Dumas has as even when it was first produced it wasn't that good.
You should have left it at the swap meet! For at about what that kit went for back in the day, there are better kits on the market such as Brian Blazer's Whiplash 21, www.blazermarine.com . Kits like Brian's when done properly are one of the best on the water, fast and great handling.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Aug 2011
483 Posts
Blazer!!! All the way . And joe @ zipp kits makes great wood kits also .
Gavinxman is offline Find More Posts by Gavinxman
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:26 AM
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the replies. The good news is that for what I paid it will be no big loss. I just want to make sure that I can complete the construction and have something for my son to run. No need to dissapoint him with a boat that I can't or don't want to finish. I am going to look more closely at the kit to see it I want to start it or not.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
4 Posts
Carl
I think I have the running Gear kit by Dumas. Let Me know if you need one. REAL CHEAP $$$$
Ron
Nitrobreath is offline Find More Posts by Nitrobreath
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2012
93 Posts
Put it together just like a plane you will get whatever you put into it . Look for better running gear and engine mods...
MN fish is offline Find More Posts by MN fish
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
OK. My concern with this thing is the engine. It calls for a .61-.67 which translates into a 10 or 11 cc engine. Most on the market today are .15 - .30. Considerably smaller. Not much in the calssfied adds or ebay either. Mostly collectables. It is the 42 inch hydroplane. Any suggestions for powering this thing?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:10 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,933 Posts
Ready for sticker shock? If not then don't look here but this one is one of the baddest that you'll find. http://seaducerboats.com/motor.htm
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Oct 02, 2012, 04:39 PM
Held by Grace
Upstate New York
Joined Apr 2006
273 Posts
60 size Pay+Pak

Hi Carl :Building these kits is very rewarding but they are more work than airplanes.
Check to see if there are any boat racing clubs near by {look up IMPBA or NAMBA for listings} possibly some one you meet will have a older but not worn out .60 size motor that you could buy for a reasonable price and give you a hand with set up.
You could also run this boat with a 7.5 K+B ,it will not be a speed demon but properly set up it should "come up on step" with just the back of the sponsons and half of the prop in the water,a nice starting place for your son to learn on.

You could also consider setting it up for electric power with a brushless motor{check the electric boats forum}

Either way You should use a 3/16 flex drive cable and a wedge rudder-check out Zipkits.com his hardware is resonable and nice.
If you do buy/find a .60 size motor a Octura 1455 metal prop would be a good prop to start with.
PM me if you need more help - Mike
BDOG1 is offline Find More Posts by BDOG1
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:42 AM
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
412 Posts
Here's one on here for sale http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742290
Probably should check around for parts availability.
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:03 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepwalker View Post
Here's one on here for sale http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1742290
Probably should check around for parts availability.
MECOA carry most parts for the HB .61 engines, would be a good engine for a vintage Dumas kit!
https://shop.mecoa.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=109
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Apr 2009
115 Posts
Thanks for the reply guys. I actually found that HB motor in the RC Universe classifieds yesterday. Same pictures and descripton down to the letter. It should be on it's way soon and arrive within a week.

Last night I opened the box up again and took a good look at the parts. Compaired to modern airplane kits the instructions are sparce on details. The plans are very good though. Not too much different than an airplane but everything is sheeted so I should be able to get it done without too much trouble.

My two boys had found the box and asked about it a while back. They were dissapointed when I initialy told them engines were hard to find (while keeping the college fund in place). If this engine works out then we should be set to start building. Actually I may just move forward with putting it together. Fall is here and it's supposed to be windy and rain this weekend. I have a feeling we will be cutting out and sanding parts. If nothing else putting it together will be fun.