HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:22 PM
Aaron
Australia
Joined Aug 2012
1,740 Posts
Anyone using this on a PZ T-28 Trojan? what gain settings should I start with? is 12:00 neutral enough to start on?
Realms is online now Find More Posts by Realms
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:06 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
12:00 will probably give you almost no response. Try it by twisting the plane with your hands, though.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:37 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms View Post
Anyone using this on a PZ T-28 Trojan? what gain settings should I start with? is 12:00 neutral enough to start on?
Read the manual from post #1
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realms View Post
Around 10 - 11 was the happy spot for mine....going higher would either mess with rolls or cause oscillations. You dont need it to move the control surfaces massive amounts and there is no fade out on it so it will try to fight your stick inputs.
Brush Hog is offline Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:27 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Windy this morning, at the field.

While the other guys kept their stuff on the ground, the Parkzone F4F Wildcat -- with ORX -- was awesome.

Smooth and strong through gusts, with scale-like mild aerobatics (loops, rolls, inverted - the real thing was a sturdy, pudgy, slugger.....not an aerobatic diva!) .

Do you mind showing me where you put this in the wildcat? I imagine you put it where the slot grove is below the battery, but maybe you have a better setup
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:24 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengarang View Post
Do you mind showing me where you put this in the wildcat? I imagine you put it where the slot grove is below the battery, but maybe you have a better setup
Here ya go!

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:47 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Here ya go!

THANKS!!!
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:03 AM
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2009
120 Posts
I finally received my two Orange RX gyro units a couple of weeks ago. I mounted one in my Pz T-28 and flew it on a very windy, bumpy day. It really helped. I was greasing on landings when others were having trouble getting their planes to the runway. But, watch the gains, the real sensitive area is around 3 o'clock and I found that just below this (2:45 o'clock or so) seem to be a good setting.

Now where I really found this unit to be of great value was with my Art-Tech AT-6 - a tail dragger which is a handful on the runway during takeoff and landing. I've had many ground loops! With the yaw gain set about 3 o'clock, the AT-6 stays very straight on takeoff. It really is cheating, but it works great. I've dialed back the roll and pitch gains to get rid of oscillations. Had one flight with those set too high and about lost the plane due to wild oscillations, so be careful.

Doug
svtdoug is offline Find More Posts by svtdoug
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:23 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,057 Posts
Flight report, 3D foamy

Just installed on a 200g, EPP bipe.
Removed from the case, and hot-glued to vertical fuse section. Saved several grams of weight removing from the case.

Set up the gyro as per the 1st page directions, and tips from others on here.
Adjust gains until no chatter, and a little movement of control surface when moving plane around by hand.

Also, had to swap Elev and Rudder on RX and Gyro, due to mounting orientation.

Took it out for the first flight on a very windy day, one that normally wouldn't be any fun with this light a plane.
I have to say, I was very impressed with the stability that the gyro imparted on the plane in this much wind.
It felt like there was no wind, other than the times the wind literally was blowing my plane away. Handled great, all I could have expected!

Tweaked the gains up and down a little, but the initial settings were just about perfect.

Had a chance to take the plane out again, with zero wind.
Again, I'm pleased to say that the gyro did it's thing, but didn't cause any issues in windless conditions either.
I could put the plane in a hover and it would stay put, with just a touch on the control surfaces occasionally. Lowered the throttle, and the plane did a tail slide, but stayed nicely vertical.
Fooled around with the gains again, and ended up putting them back to starting position.

Roll rates, and other flight characteristics are unchanged at these gain settings.
I encountered the disconnected feeling some had mentioned as the gyro buffered the TX input a little. On this plane, I had a LOT of expo for the huge control surfaces. Cut the expo in half, and the natural feel returned.

Short version, I like it a lot, and it did exactly what I was hoping for.

I just wanted to share the experience, and also say thanks to all those that have taken the time to provide detailed feedback on setup.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:21 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
Just installed on a 200g, EPP bipe.
Removed from the case, and hot-glued to vertical fuse section. Saved several grams of weight removing from the case.

Set up the gyro as per the 1st page directions, and tips from others on here.
Adjust gains until no chatter, and a little movement of control surface when moving plane around by hand.

Also, had to swap Elev and Rudder on RX and Gyro, due to mounting orientation.

Took it out for the first flight on a very windy day, one that normally wouldn't be any fun with this light a plane.
I have to say, I was very impressed with the stability that the gyro imparted on the plane in this much wind.
It felt like there was no wind, other than the times the wind literally was blowing my plane away. Handled great, all I could have expected!

Tweaked the gains up and down a little, but the initial settings were just about perfect.

Had a chance to take the plane out again, with zero wind.
Again, I'm pleased to say that the gyro did it's thing, but didn't cause any issues in windless conditions either.
I could put the plane in a hover and it would stay put, with just a touch on the control surfaces occasionally. Lowered the throttle, and the plane did a tail slide, but stayed nicely vertical.
Fooled around with the gains again, and ended up putting them back to starting position.

Roll rates, and other flight characteristics are unchanged at these gain settings.
I encountered the disconnected feeling some had mentioned as the gyro buffered the TX input a little. On this plane, I had a LOT of expo for the huge control surfaces. Cut the expo in half, and the natural feel returned.

Short version, I like it a lot, and it did exactly what I was hoping for.

I just wanted to share the experience, and also say thanks to all those that have taken the time to provide detailed feedback on setup.
Good on you Woody
An interesting report.

Very similar experience to my own

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,644 Posts
I wanted to share my flight report. I have my stabilizer installed in a House of Balsa electric Cub that weighs 23oz. I put in 6 or 7 flights today in perfect conditions, we had a direct crosswind blowing 10-12 mph and the Cub flew great, crosswind loops and Cuban Eights were a blast as were the landings. I have mine adjusted like others have reported, just enough to see some surface movement with a bit more on the Rudder. I used double sided servo tape to mount in the Cub. I also have an E-Flight Mig with AS3X and the Cub flies much the same. It may lack features of other stabilizers and the pots are touchy to adjust but for $15.00 not too shabby.....

Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:28 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Who has used this gyro stabilizer on a dual/servo, aileron set up? What would happen if the gyro stabilizer was set up on just one aileron? Or run (2) stabilizers, one for each aileron, etc.? Just curious.
~Fred
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Last edited by Vrated; Oct 13, 2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:21 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,307 Posts
2 units will give normal operation assuming you use just aileron on the second unit for the second aileron servo

If you use one unit on just 1 aileron servo it will still work but be less effective, it may respond better with a higher gain setting than normal, just take care at the high gain settings.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
dav3uk, Thank you sir. I may try the 2 unit set-up out.
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrated View Post
dav3uk, Thank you sir. I may try the 2 unit set-up out.
why not use a y servo cable for your second aileron? do you have a flapperon/spoileron setup?
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee