HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:48 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Progress (minor)

Well, I have to start somewhere!

I finally found a motor for my Lunar EV. I Picked up a second hand Neu 1509 1D/6.7S for a very reasonable price considering what they are new. He also threw in the 15x15 prop pictured. This has kind of lead me down the 3S path for now, but I'm sure with a prop change, 4S should be no problem. I don't think any of my existing batteries will suit, so I'll be shopping for batteries (again) anyway.

I also sourced some 3.2mm garolite G10 which I will be using to make a new motor mount with. On speaking with a friend more experienced with hotliners, it turns out that I don't need any thrust line offset like I would in any other model, so I'll just set it up for 0/0. That means that I could actually get started on the motor installation as soon as I find a suitable spinner. Don't expect a maiden flight report any time soon though, I've still got my hands full with FPV and 3D parkflyers... Later...

Sub
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2012, 06:48 PM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
You will have plenty of power so I suggest some strengtening around the canopy, something like 2cm wide 2mm G10 sheet laminated to the both sides of canopy hole.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:04 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harri Pihl View Post
You will have plenty of power so I suggest some strengtening around the canopy, something like 2cm wide 2mm G10 sheet laminated to the both sides of canopy hole.
Harri, do you have one of these?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:48 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
Ive seen that setup go before, it works well. That motors not from NZ is it?
jackosmeister is offline Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:31 AM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
Nah mate motors from sydney, from me
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:19 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleenagle View Post
Nah mate motors from sydney, from me
Yep, confirmed. Thanks for the hookup lee, and for your helpful advice.

Lee did you ever put a meter on this combination of motor / prop? One of the online calculators reckons 235A on 3S which seems a bit high

Sub
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
Haha, all good I watched that combo hit the dirt (rx issue) about a month ago, same motor and blades. Thought he might have parted out his plane
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:38 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Jacko, do you remember what battery was used? I'm worried about being very nose heavy if I really need a big enough 3s for 235A.

Sub.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:44 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
It was in an older Mibo 2m hotliner, not sure on pack size sorry.

I ran my Speedfire on 3S 5000 45C, with a 1509/1D and 16x17 slims, provided PLENTY of motor on time. ~4000 would be enough for 30s+

Which esc are you using?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:28 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
It was in an older Mibo 2m hotliner, not sure on pack size sorry.

I ran my Speedfire on 3S 5000 45C, with a 1509/1D and 16x17 slims, provided PLENTY of motor on time. ~4000 would be enough for 30s+

Which esc are you using?
Dunno what esc yet, was hoping to get an idea on amps first. If it really pulls 235A I'll use a red brick 200
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:21 PM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
Definitely go with the red brick. I'm sorry but I don't have any data as I didn't have a clamp meter at the time. Just get the best cells you can get and high capacity
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
Im pretty sure my friend here would have the numbers off it, I can flick him an email if youd like.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:24 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Im pretty sure my friend here would have the numbers off it, I can flick him an email if youd like.
Thanks jacko. As a newbie to this type of flying, it really helps to have a known baseline.

Sub.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 04:19 PM
Suomi, Lšnsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsonic View Post
Harri, do you have one of these?
A friend has a x-tail version. It's fine for say 600-800 W but above 1+ kW I'd strenghten the fuse.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustflynow2 View Post
Time to breath some life back into your thread Sub! Can't believe I have only flown mine twice now, however I have been investing in it, 1112/1y on the way, nothing too crazy but the term budget has been pushed aside I am afraid, might have to unsubscribe. Still lots to do with this model, and I have found another site with some wide open space not too far away so the summer is looking good, how about you?
finally the little 1112/1y 6.7 arrived. So some testing with 16x8 and 4s saw the luna quietly climbing out. On 5s i got a little more excitement. The pic is inflight max data, once going power dropped of to 700w. It's tough to get a single 5s pack in so thoughts are 2x3s for 6s The mid mount servos are going to have to go, to fit 2 packs. Would be happy to hear some cell prop combos for this motor if anyone could help, some decent 2200s to supply 100amps? I think that will be my limit for my luna, nothing too crazy like I said, yet still more to do....
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Last edited by mustflynow2; Mar 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM.