HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, AL, Emelle
Joined Feb 2012
198 Posts
Discussion
Glow smoke systems: 2 & 4 stroke

I'm new to smoke systems and would like some advice from the experienced smokers here. I would like to run a pump less smoke system on a four stroke, but I bought a Dubro super smoker kit and it states that it will not work on a four stroke? I will be experimenting with this kit and would like to know the best setup to use such as where to pull my pressure from and how to plumb in the smoke line. Thanks ahead.
Alex Koehn is offline Find More Posts by Alex Koehn
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:16 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
A four stroke does not provide enough muffler or crankcase pressure to drive a smoke system. Your alternatives are a Sullivan Smoke Pump ($96 new) or a cheaper Perry VP-40 "shaker" pump. Its mounted to the engine backplate and uses engine vibration to pump the smoke oil. Don't know how much they cost now, and have not seen one in operation. But be advised that there are two available of each brand, one for glow fuel, one for gas and smoke oil.

One advantage with the Sullivan is you can control on & off with your transmitter. With the Perry, its always on when the engine is running unless you can devise a smoke oil flow cutoff.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Apr 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Feb 2012
198 Posts
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just run this on one of my two strokes. Is it normal to tap into the backplate for crankcase pressure?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:29 AM
TigreJohn
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
Usually the wall of the backplate is too thin to drill and tap. If your backplate has a has a boss or thick spot that is provided for that purpose-good. Depending on your engine size, you might be able to mount a pressure tap thru the side of the mounting lugs, I have a ST S2000 that is set up that way.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Joined Feb 2012
198 Posts
I'll be doing this on either a ST45 or K&B61 or both.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
TigreJohn
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
On those engines, the mounting lugs are too thin. Another way I have seen that will work with no problem on the ST45 is replacing the upper backplate screw that is opposite the exhaust with a threaded pressure fitting. This hole should be drilled deep enough to penetrate into the bypass. Since the backplate uses an O-ring seal on the diameter of the backplate you wont have any air leakage problems with three tight screws and one snug fitting. On the K&B 61, I believe the same situation exists with that screw hole. But since the K&B uses a face gasket and the threaded fitting can't be tightened too much, I would suggest also using some silicone sealant as an additional measure on the backplate.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Feb 2012
198 Posts
So you're saying to replace one of the backplate screws with a nipple? Do I need to drill it out or is the hole open already?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
damn! learn something every day!

all those years we would simply drill into the backplate, tap & install a nipple... Could have (in some situations) simply replaced a screw.

you sir, are a baller

tmbs^
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:39 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2007
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toysrme View Post
damn! learn something every day!

all those years we would simply drill into the backplate, tap & install a nipple... Could have (in some situations) simply replaced a screw.

you sir, are a baller

tmbs^
I've done this myself too. BUT make sure the pressure fitting is machined (filed) flush with the backplate to make sure it does not interfere with the crank pin or con rod.
Arceenut is offline Find More Posts by Arceenut
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
TigreJohn
Joined Aug 2008
996 Posts
Its easy to tell if you need to drill that hole thru to the bypass. Take that screw out, remove the glow plug and turn the motor over a few times. If its open, you will feel a puff of air coming out of that screw hole on the downstroke.