SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIXXIN2FLY View Post
stopping and self correcting was not terribly uncommon in the slimey glow days. It is quite humorous when you see it in person.

If only you could do it both directions while in flight....you would have the only variable pitch gas system EVER!!!!
But if it did it in flight when you didn't want it to....Hooo boy...Turbo Raven crash... At the beginning of the video the TV station says it was an engine failure, but it was not, Wayne would go to reverse pitch for the down leg of this maneuver, but on this flight, when he tried to go back to positive pitch, it did not do so...So, he pancaked the plane. Wayne did survive the crash, but is something like 1.5" shorter now do to all the spinal crushing...

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,470 Posts
Not the ignition....all ignitions spark when a magnet passes the hall sensor....they can not sense direction. It's in the intake/exhaust/spark timing combination...that particular engine happens to bounce off of the compression stroke on flips where it did not start.....and it fires on the "return" as it bounces through the compression stroke.....then it keeps going. Engines with less spark advance and not extremely aggressive intake/exhaust port timing have all of the "action" close enough to TDC that they will indeed run in reverse.....not as much performance in reverse of course...but it will run. Typically just getting the throttle in the "right" spot minimizes the problem.....but today I was starting with fresh radio programming.....

After the first real start, it was easy to zone in on the proper "idle" epa and then I was in fine shape for the rest of the afternoon....but that first time was interesting today...
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:14 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,029 Posts
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Last edited by Park_aviator; Feb 06, 2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:15 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
If anyone wants to buy a NIB 48" EPP Extra airframe PM me Slightly damaged from shipping...( nothing 30 seconds won't fix) Won it in the garage sale.
PM Alex, he's going to be building one. Not sure if he already ordered it though, so he might take it!

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: WASP 280 Mini Quad
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:18 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,521 Posts
just dont mess up the thrust angle on them. they fly terrible after that.
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Groveport, OH...USA
Joined Nov 2010
10,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
What's causes the OS motor to start backwards. It's the only brand of engine I hear that does it? Is it something to do with ignition?
itit has to do with it being two stroke like bivens said...the old 2 stroke Detroit diesels were the same way....if you turned the motor over with the key and the engine kicked back just as you let off the key it would run in reverse....so my question is....if the engine is running backwards, would I have 10 gears in reverse and 2 forward?
aronph is offline Find More Posts by aronph
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:58 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
itit has to do with it being two stroke like bivens said...the old 2 stroke Detroit diesels were the same way....if you turned the motor over with the key and the engine kicked back just as you let off the key it would run in reverse....so my question is....if the engine is running backwards, would I have 10 gears in reverse and 2 forward?
Ha! Ive wondered that myself
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:03 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
LMAO
Tell ya what...buy me ten beers and two shots and I shall give you the answer to your riddle....
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:04 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_aviator View Post
If anyone wants to buy a NIB 48" EPP Extra airframe PM me Slightly damaged from shipping...( nothing 30 seconds won't fix) Won it in the garage sale.
pm sent
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:22 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
And what a lot of people do not know, that most big pile drivers are nothing more than a two stroke diesel engine, that does not have a crankshaft... To start, a winch pulls the piston up, then fuel is injected into the cylinder. then the piston is dropped, and compression ignites the fuel which drives the driver down, and the piston up, as once it reaches the top, it drops, onto a fresh charge of fuel, and just keeps going until the fuel is shut off.....

Your trivia lesson for today.....(for those that didn't know it already)

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2010
4,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
And what a lot of people do not know, that most big pile drivers are nothing more than a two stroke diesel engine, that does not have a crankshaft... To start, a winch pulls the piston up, then fuel is injected into the cylinder. then the piston is dropped, and compression ignites the fuel which drives the driver down, and the piston up, as once it reaches the top, it drops, onto a fresh charge of fuel, and just keeps going until the fuel is shut off.....

Your trivia lesson for today.....(for those that didn't know it already)

SteveT.
I thought a pile driver was when Hulk hogan picked up Andre the giant over his head
3Dplank is offline Find More Posts by 3Dplank
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:38 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
.......double post
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:38 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dplank View Post
I thought a pile driver was when Hulk hogan picked up Andre the giant over his head
That could be....or it could be Vin Diesel doing it twice....(two stroke)

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:08 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullittjeff View Post
What's causes the OS motor to start backwards. It's the only brand of engine I hear that does it? Is it something to do with ignition?
I heard the Original engine name was SO, engineering got it backwards....
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:23 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
I heard the Original engine name was SO, engineering got it backwards....
Well, at least it wasn't...."so-so"....Oh wait...that's DLE...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member