HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:01 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Thanks for chiming in guys. Last night I held this little test wing section up to the Raven fuselage to see how it looked and I liked it. Holding up this little 18" wing section next to the big fuselage made me chuckle a little but it served its purpose. I like being able to experiment a little with the covering and making changes to a "reusable" wing section makes that easy. Don't like something? Simply peel it off and start over, no worries about wrinkles or perfection, just slap it on.

I am practicing my WordArt skills and am going to make a Raven template for lettering on the wing. So much to do.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, WI, Stoddard
Joined Dec 2009
1,140 Posts
I was going to comment when I first read the last post.But I had to think first.It;s well It;s black tie ,and art deco all in one. Formal ,elegant, and refreshingly different.
Is the white standard weight ultra coat or the the lite weight?Stay in the groove.
doc993 is offline Find More Posts by doc993
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:18 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Bob - what did you use to hold in your spoiler servos? Was in Goop? I'm too tired to pour back over the thread to find out.

Wayne
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Hi Doc,

The white and black covering are lighter weight stuff, the gold is heavier Monocote. I am relying on the beefed up spar and fiber glassed d-box for primary wing integrity. The covering should help a little. The white is semi opaque so I am guessing is is somewhere between the standard and light weight stuff in terms of strength.

Wayne
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Asked a coupe of questions on another thread so best to close that one save having two ongoing threads. I have ordered the plan from Mike and this weekends weather looks a no go for flying so was wondering if any body can give a short list of materiel I will need for the wings so I can go to the LHS and get myself some balsa ready for the build as I think the plan will not arrive in tie for a week end start. Like to have this build ready for next spring if possible.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Wayne,

I don't remember. But Goop seems right to me. I use it a lot. I'd go with that.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
Asked a coupe of questions on another thread so best to close that one save having two ongoing threads. I have ordered the plan from Mike and this weekends weather looks a no go for flying so was wondering if any body can give a short list of materiel I will need for the wings so I can go to the LHS and get myself some balsa ready for the build as I think the plan will not arrive in tie for a week end start. Like to have this build ready for next spring if possible.
Welcome to the thread. Wing stock if fairly straight forward, were you going to get the ribs lasercut or are you going to cut them yourself? Obviously it changes the amount of wood stock you need. Assuming you are going to buy the rib set here is what you would need to get started with the main wing. Each wing panel is 28" long so 30" stock will work if you can find it otherwise you are buying the 36" stuff.

* Spars: 1/2" x 1/8" x 30" qty 8 Spruce
* Spreader spar 1/8" x 1/4" x 10" qyt 4 spruce
* Wing sheeting, full sheeted wing, If you can obtain 4" wide pieces then you will need 20 pieces of 1/16" x 4" x 30" if you can only get 3.5 inch material then you will need 24 sheets of 1/16" x 3.5" 30"
* TE stock 1/4" x 1" x 30" qty 4
* brass tubes with an inside diameter of 1/4" 24" total length
* tip block material 6" x 2" x 3/4" qty 2
* sheer webbing, one sheet of 1/16" x 2.5" x 36 maybe a little more.
* 1/8" plywood for wing joiner at the gull wing break, 12" square should do it.
* some leading edge material.

This should get you started. If you are going to cut your own ribs then you will need some 1/16 plywood and probably another 8 sheets of 16" stock

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Nov 15, 2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:34 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Thanks Wayne, Can not make my mind up yet if to have a go at cutting my own or getting a price to have them cut.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:28 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Looking good Wayne.My good friend of fourty years and owner of the local hobby shop passed away last month,going to take a while off from building.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:06 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
Looking good Wayne.My good friend of fourty years and owner of the local hobby shop passed away last month,going to take a while off from building.
You might just want to send Dave an email and see what the cost would be to ship a set. A full set of ribs are somewhere in the $35 range and he was careful to lay out all the pieces on 24" sheets. He did this to keep shipping costs down.

Scottie, I am sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. Mere words can never fill the void left in our hearts when we lose a good friend. You are in my thoughts.

Wayne
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Received my plans this afternoon and had a quick study but could not resist cutting the rib profiles. Going to cut my own ribs this time so hopefully start and cut the ribs for one wing tomorrow. One question is if I decide to stick a motor up front is just a matter of leaving the nose block of and fixing the motor to the firewall .
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Glen,
Yes, that's about it. I just worked it out so that the spinner was where the end of the nose block would have been. It works fine. Here's a shot for you.

Bob in Seatle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:08 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Thanks Bob. Cut my ribs for one wing today will start the assemble of wing maybe tomorrow. Probably going with the gull wing version with airlerons but was wondering if their is any need for airbrakes to land the Raven. Just trying to cut the work load a little so work permitting will have it ready for next spring or summer.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 09:48 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,505 Posts
Where's Wayne???

Here I am, I took another little break from the Raven build. Remember I said I was the worlds slowest builder. So where am I at? Well I have finished making the spoilers and fitting them into the wing. On my previous builds I have simply used a flat piece of 1" x 1/16" carbon stock for the spoilers. They stay flat, don't warp and are easy to fit in the wing. The only problem with this spoiler solution is that it causes is a flat spot on the upper wing. This time around I wanted a spoiler that would maintain the airfoil shape along the upper edge of the wing.

So I used some TE stock and added piece of stock across the back of the LE edge so that the grains would oppose each other in the hopes of preventing warping. When I made the spoiler bays I cut the ribs so a little bit of the spoiler would stick out above the wing profile. Then I sanded the entire thing down to the wing profile, this way the top of the spoiler matches the curve of the upper wing profile. Hopefully this will help minimize any disruption in the airflow across the wing. It was a little more work but hopefully it will make a difference.

So next I needed to run the wing servos through the wing and solder on a connector to tie into the fuselage. Well let me tell you straight up that I really dislike soldering. I'm not good at it, I don't have enough hands to hold everything, I always end up burning my fingers.... My list of complaints goes on and on so needless to say I have been procrastinating. Well 3 days ago I finally decided that I would beging the dreaded task and I started to run the spoiler servos through the wing and out the root. Guess what, I didn't make the holes large enough to fish the wire through. Try though I may I could not get the wire through, so I get out the drill and mt assortment of bits and I figure out how big I need to enlarge the hole to and I drill out the wing root. That went fine, my bit was long enough to reach rib #2 and soon that rib was good to go. Then I pulled the bit out and started from the opposite side, rib #4 fell to my drill in no time but rib #3 was another story. Due to the other wing ribs I couldn't get the drill lined up to reach rib #3. Long story short, I ended up going to the store and purchasing a 12" long drill bit just so that I could reach it. Not the end of the world but just a word to the wise, make your servo wire holes one size bigger that you think you will need.

So now I am on to burning my fingers while I solder on those little wiring harness connectors. I won't have a ton of time to work on this until after the holidays but I will continue to slowly poke along. Thanks for sticking with me and continuing to watch.

Wayne
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:08 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,634 Posts
Wayne! Don't tell anyone that those reasons are the same ones of why my Go Go Dancer ain't dunn!
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!