New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:08 PM
Find More Posts by mmjax
Joined Jun 2015
63 Posts
Discussion
Battery too damaged to use?

To those of you more experienced in the way of the lipo than I ...can you tell me if (based on appearance and opinion) this battery is too damaged to use? Cell readings appear to be fine...
Thanks for your input!
mmjax is online now Find More Posts by mmjax
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:17 PM
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
8,376 Posts
It is a bit difficult to tell from the pictures, but if the only damage is to the outer shrink wrap then the battery is fine. If any of the inner pouches are punctured then, yes, it is ready to be disposed. Are any of the cells deformed?

You say cell voltages appear to be fine. That is not enough information. Your opinion of what is fine may not agree with the experts. Please state your actual readings. Also is the battery fully charged, partially charged, etc.

How did the damage occur?

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by Nikola312
Joined Jan 2015
12 Posts
Hey guys i know this is an old forum but the same thing happened to me, it doesnt seem to have punctured the cell just slid out of the shrink wrap. Any opinions
Nikola312 is offline Find More Posts by Nikola312
Old Jun 27, 2016, 02:40 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
27,713 Posts
Use it.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Jun 27, 2016, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by mmjax
Joined Jun 2015
63 Posts
Nothing is punctured, but the leading edge of that cell does appear to be somewhat deformed / rippled.

Flying my mini-quad, lost video and attempted to land blind. Landed hard on the tail, battery slid backwards into a bolt.

Cell voltages are 3.85, 3.84, 3.88, 3.87.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
It is a bit difficult to tell from the pictures, but if the only damage is to the outer shrink wrap then the battery is fine. If any of the inner pouches are punctured then, yes, it is ready to be disposed. Are any of the cells deformed?

You say cell voltages appear to be fine. That is not enough information. Your opinion of what is fine may not agree with the experts. Please state your actual readings. Also is the battery fully charged, partially charged, etc.

How did the damage occur?

Glen
Last edited by mmjax; Jun 27, 2016 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 27, 2016, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
4,865 Posts
I'd keep using it, but I'd be careful and keep an eye on it for a while. Check the cell voltages periodically and note if any of them are going out of balance.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S
Old Jun 27, 2016, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by mmjax
Joined Jun 2015
63 Posts
Thanks for the advice James.
I always balance charge, but I'll certainly keep monitoring the levels for any wide variances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_S View Post
I'd keep using it, but I'd be careful and keep an eye on it for a while. Check the cell voltages periodically and note if any of them are going out of balance.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by RCheers
Joined Jun 2016
6 Posts
On my opinion, you should package or wrap the battery with stick band or something else before use it, to protect it from more damage on surface. Otherwise, the paper would tear apart from surface?
RCheers is offline Find More Posts by RCheers
Old Jun 28, 2016, 06:42 AM
Find More Posts by mmjax
Joined Jun 2015
63 Posts
I wrapped the damaged part with electrical tape. What's stick band?