Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Discussion
Hangar 9 F22 Raptor Glow-To-Electric Conversion

Guys,

EDIT: I purchased this model from a local RC member in Titusville, Florida by the name of "Chad" and he has flown it using GLOW power so, it is an official model that has been previously flown GLOW and will be converted over to Electric power, hence the title of this section, "GLOW-TO-ELECTRIC."

Here is the For Sale Ad that I responded and where I purchased this lovely Hangar9 ARF model and previously flown Glow:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1955487

It sat around for a few years collecting dust as a Hangar Queen and I really could not sell it so, I am making it air worthy to have fun with it!

I will try to power it using the Himax HC3528-1000 brushless motor and swinging the APC 10 X 9 propeller on three (3) Cells Li-Poly. This will yield approximately:

~400 Watts / 40-Amps / 84oz. of Static Thrust / 9,700 RPMs / a pitch speed of 83-MPH.

Dry Empty Weight tips the scale at 5lbs.-4 1/8oz.

We shall see.....

Oh, here is one of the first discussion threads on this model back in 2007!
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/arf-...aptor-pts.html

Here she sits Airframe Only:

PittSpecial is online now Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 27, 2015 at 10:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2015, 11:55 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Firewall - Glow Engine Mount Issue!

Guys,

Started with the project and found that someone secured the Glow Engine Mount a little too secure and perhaps used the permanent type of LocTite!

Using an Electric "Adjustable" Impact Driver, I was able to remove two of the bolts (Phillips head) on the Left side but, the two on the right side just didn't want to come out!

I carefully using a hand saw blade inside the FUSE and started to cut towards the blind nuts at the bolts that didn't want to come out and see about a neat way to slide the Blind Nuts and Bolts out but, it became messy! The FUSE is kind of tight and didn't want to destroy it with my large Gorilla Hands so, I took a screw driver and carefully pried the Glow Engine Mount that was lose toward the Left side and it finally came off the firewall with minor to moderate damage of the Firewall.

Found a large piece of 2/32nd plywood and worked a template and got some Gorilla Glue and now it is good as new and motor assembly is ready to be mounted. From measuring before taking off the cut-up cowling, I need at least 3/4th of an inch spacer to allow for the prop adapter to clear the cowling.

A few pictures of my ordeal.......
Old Oct 07, 2015, 09:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Himax Power System is a NO GO!

Never use the stock Glow Engine Mount holes! I am glad that I only tried one of them to make me observe that it was off-set!

Needless to say this used motor seems to have suffered a nose in accident as the output shaft is slightly bent and a complete wave off is in effect and I am now looking for an alternative.

Oh, well......back to the hobby drawer!

Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 07, 2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2015, 09:27 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Hi there again,

Oh, I almost forgot.....seems like I really have the Himax HC3528-800 motor as the Watts, AMPs and Voltage from motor is in line with the characteristics of the 800Kv motor. Its too bad that the motor has a bend shaft as this lower Kv motor would have been interesting to increase the Prop Diameter slightly and/or use 4-Cell Li-Poly.

Oh well.......
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 07, 2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2015, 06:44 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Okay Guys,

I believe that I am back in business as I found myself this Emax 46 size motor on hand.

I plan to use it on 4s 3300-4000. It draws about 850w at 52a with an APC 12 x 6. Could be propped up a little if more power is needed but, ground clearance is the factor here as the F22 Raptor has a limit.

Here is the Specifications of the E-Max 46 Motor:
http://www.headsuphobby.com/Emax-BL3...otor-A-274.htm
Old Oct 09, 2015, 09:28 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Progressing very Aggressively !

Guys,

Second late night working on this F22 Raptor by Hangar9 and let me tell you that this is by far one of the most challenging models to convert as that dual heavy vertical stabs and overall weight of the rear with all that wood makes it really heavy to allow for a good reasonable power system and set of batteries to Off-Set all that weight in the AFT area.

Also, lets not forget the rather closed-in Frontal FUSE area to work with and the tiny tapered nose effect as you really can't use a metal cage hardware to mount any motor as it will interfere with the cowling. Resort is to use X-Mount with stand-off hardware and you have to be paying attention to every measurement before drilling.

Okay so, I have spent Tuesday late night and Thursday late night on working with this model and I am exhausted and will take a break unless of course I get a good night sleep tonight. The worse is the horror to find my newest motor (Emax 46) with a bent shaft as well, however, not that badly like the Himax HC3528-1000 so, with some patience and vice gripe pliers I was able to straighten out the out-put shaft of this motor! It really pays to have Gorilla Hands after all!

Yes, I have run up the motor several times to note where the high and low points were on the shaft and after the fix as well. Now the shaft is very tuned and no wobble what-so-ever! In-between runs of the motor and without the battery connected, sprayed some CRC 2-26 into the motor as this helps with the bearings and cleaned out that motor and now it runs much smoother and quieter.

Here are some close-up pictures that hopefully be self explanatory for all to see what I used and why. Of course feel free to ask questions should you have any.

Close-up shows where I will be placing a small square piece of plywood to allow the battery to clear the ESC wires going to the motor and have a compartment for the ESC wires to stay safe from any unnecessary handling while inserting and taking out the flight battery.

Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 09, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2015, 04:41 PM
dbc
Find More Posts by dbc
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
2,654 Posts
Hmmmm..... The very EMax motor and ESC from the Giles I sold you. And the motor shaft slightly bent. Pretty easy to see what happened here.

But you've never told us about the crash! Inquiring minds want to know!
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Oct 09, 2015, 04:47 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Hmmmm..... The very EMax motor and ESC from the Giles I sold you. And the motor shaft slightly bent. Pretty easy to see what happened here.

Oh, no!!!! He found out!

It was not my fault, an Ugly Large bug got the best of me one morning at the RC Club and it flipped upside down and didn't have enough altitude and I pancaked it in.

Old Oct 09, 2015, 05:08 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post

I did order a brand new one with coupon and gift certificate price reduction and it is waiting in the wings!
Old Oct 09, 2015, 05:42 PM
dbc
Find More Posts by dbc
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
2,654 Posts
These things DO happen. Good to see another one is already at your place. It's a pretty straightforward and easy build. I know you were really enjoying the Giles.

BTW: welcome to the assembly challenges of motor offsets, thrust angles and cowl spacing!
Last edited by dbc; Oct 09, 2015 at 05:48 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2015, 06:19 PM
dbc
Find More Posts by dbc
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
2,654 Posts
Also, no need to try to straighten an Emax motor shaft. It's time-consuming and almost impossible to get them exactly correct.

HURC stocks replacement shafts at a very reasonable price:

http://www.headsuphobby.com/Replacem...s-Z-105-36.htm

Dave
Last edited by dbc; Oct 09, 2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 03:10 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
dbc,

Thanks so much for that link! I ordered two!

Carlos
Old Oct 12, 2015, 03:04 PM
Find More Posts by Scott Todd
TAFTS
Chandler, AZ
Joined Apr 2008
633 Posts
This was my conversion. Did you see it?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post27468106
Scott Todd is offline Find More Posts by Scott Todd
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:36 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Todd View Post
This was my conversion. Did you see it?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post27468106
Scott,

Thanks so much for that link!

You have really made me pick-up the pace with this project after watching the VIDEO you provided at your Thread!

I have now all servos out to install tonight, assuming there is no interruptions. Additionally, a brand new EMax 46 has arrived so, I will be installing it tonight as well.

Thanks again!
Carlos
Old Oct 13, 2015, 11:48 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
11,781 Posts
Receiver + Elevator + Rudder Servos installed

Guys,

Life keeps coming at me....work, family, house, cars, and friends and finally tonight ....wee hours of the early morning got some work done on this fantastic discontinued Hangar9 RC Raptor!

The servos used for Elevator & Rudder are the JR Sport (ST47). These are slightly smaller than the Hitec HS-311 / HS325HB and even the Futaba S3003.

I tried the Futaba 3003, Hitec HS-311 / HS325HB and they just didn't want to go in the STOCK cut-out so, I am thankful that I had the JR Sport ST47's on hand. I suspect that since the JR's are distributed by Horizon Hobbies and Hangar9 is a based product line of HH then, the JR SPORT were meant to be in this model.