New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2015, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by djmessina
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2015
58 Posts
Help!
CPPM Confusion!!

Hey all! So, let me start off by saying that YES, I'm a total newbie! Have a lot of experience with RC cars, but quads are a different story. Anyway, I've completed the build of my first racing quadcopter, and it's badass! All I need is to purchase a radio. I've been totally set on going with the Taranis. I've even bought the FrSky D4R-ii receiver in anticipation of my Taranis purchase. BUT, for financial reasons, I need to go cheaper. Now, I decided to go for a Turnigy 9X, but lo and behold, they're on backorder EVERYWHERE!! My question is: what other radio brands are capable of using CPPM so that I may use the receiver I already bought? And I have a rough idea what CPPM is. It enables you to reduce the number of receiver wires you need, right? But that's all I know. What I wonder is if I could use a Futaba, Tactic, Spektrum, etc. with my D4R receiver?? Cuz I have friends selling some radios, but I don't know if I could use them. Can someone take a second a help me out? I'm frustrated. LOL!! Thanks guys!!
djmessina is offline Find More Posts by djmessina
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2015, 10:26 PM
Find More Posts by Hajile
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
5,808 Posts
It's not CPPM you're looking for, it's a frsky radio module. And the 9X does not support a frsky receiver out of the box.

What you need is either this (JR module)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8FR_II_RX.html

Or this (Futaba module)

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html

and a controller that has a big hole in the back that accepts either of those.

BTW, the 9X is designed for a JR type module.

How about looking for a 9XR? It's the same price anyway, only difference is that the 9X comes with a radio module, but since you're going to be using a frsky module, it shouldn't matter.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
Old May 24, 2015, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by djmessina
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Apr 2015
58 Posts
Yeah I've looked for the 9XR and found one on ebay but got outbid. Otherwise they are impossible to find, just like the 9X. And I knew about the module, which is why I was looking for one of the turnigy radios cuz I was gonna buy the module too. I did see that a Futaba radio would work also cuz there is a FrSky module for it too, right? and the 8J is one of the radios my friend is selling. Do you know anything about that radio? You know what I'd really like to do is buy the Tactic TTX850. I can get it on a payment plan from Tower Hobbies, and it looks like a great radio. I realize I wouldn't be able to use my receiver with it, but I wonder if Tactic has some sort of system like CPPM so I can eliminate all those wires?

Thanks so much for your time man. I really appreciate it!!
djmessina is offline Find More Posts by djmessina
Old May 25, 2015, 02:56 AM
Find More Posts by chly3001
Singapore
Joined Apr 2014
104 Posts
if u need a cheap ppm, can consider hobbyking's orangerx + R615X receiver. it supports ppm out, i use it for ground based applications. it is very useful
chly3001 is offline Find More Posts by chly3001
Old May 25, 2015, 06:23 AM
Find More Posts by BuffaloJustin
United States, SC, Lexington
Joined May 2014
3,266 Posts
Both the Turnigy 9X and 9XR are in stock in the hobbyking international warehouse.

The futaba 8J is not a module based radio and is only operable with S-FHSS receivers so it can not be used with your D4R. However, when paired with a futaba r2008sb receiver you can use s.bus, so you only need one servo lead to your flight controller. The 8J is a very good radio, but will likely cost you as much as a taranis, even used, so probably not a solution to your issue.
BuffaloJustin is offline Find More Posts by BuffaloJustin