HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Can anyone comment on the gopro three for stills? And video? Timelapse of as fast as 0.5 a second at 12mp would be useful, but I'd be interested to know about the lens view options and distortion control
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Hello.

Has anyone tried the Canon A810 for AP? It is low end model, but people had sucess with the A490/A495, which was low end as well. I susspect that the image stabilisation of the A810 will make it not suitable for AP, but I would love to read the experiences of others, if somebody has actually used it.

Thank you,
Stavros
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Nov 06, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
This looks great !
Tarakyo Gifu Japan SONY HDR-AS15 (2 min 48 sec)
Adrie2day is offline Find More Posts by Adrie2day
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:19 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Yes, the technology is improving all the time: faster frame rates, stablization etc etc. Thanks for posting
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 06, 2012, 05:20 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
I have no experience with this camera. Hopefully someone will chip in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfakias View Post
Hello.

Has anyone tried the Canon A810 for AP? It is low end model, but people had sucess with the A490/A495, which was low end as well. I susspect that the image stabilisation of the A810 will make it not suitable for AP, but I would love to read the experiences of others, if somebody has actually used it.

Thank you,
Stavros
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:51 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
I have no experience with this camera. Hopefully someone will chip in?
They are on Amazon for $70, tempted to pick one up and try it. I picked up a NEX-5N at the discounted price a couple of weeks ago though, and I'm beginning to think that maybe I have enough cameras now..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:51 PM
ScratchCrasher
Greece, Central Macedonia, Thessalonika
Joined Jun 2008
579 Posts
Also, the CHDK for A810 is still in ALPHA version, so it may be not the best choice to buy one just yet...
sfakias is offline Find More Posts by sfakias
Old Nov 21, 2012, 05:55 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
Just got my GoPro USB to AV cable and have already successfully hacked it. It works perfectly and there's no visible lag! Happy days are here!!! I created a how to video check it out:

GoPro Hero 3 USB Composite Video Cable Hack for FPV (2 min 5 sec)
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined Nov 2012
31 Posts
Many thanks for video, i was looking for
bipsiler is offline Find More Posts by bipsiler
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:12 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Yes, good video
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Nov 2002
2,545 Posts
You're welcome guys! BTW, I flew that quad seen in the GoPro cable video today via FPV from GoPro live video link. There was no noticeable lag in the downlink video and the low-light handling of the camera was great! BTW, my GoPro is set at 720p @ 60fps. Supposedly recording at higher frame rates and resolutions can cause noticeable video lag if flying the GoPro 3 for FPV. I have yet to confirm or test this myself.
crazyj is offline Find More Posts by crazyj
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:50 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
GP3 looks nice
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:14 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
I have been using Comparometer to compare a few compact cameras. I notice the Canon G1X which has a pretty massive sensor for a G series. At 14MP it appears to have an excellent 28mm lens, but does have OIS.
The Sony RX100 has been proven to work on multis (therefore planes) and has a super sized 20mp, and is in a much smaller form factor than the Canon.

I do notice the upcoming Sony Nex 6, and I like the look of the 24mm zoom lens with this model, but note the addition of this new lens containing optical stablization built in. Both cameras seem to have an advantage size wise (print wise) over the Canon s95 etc

If anyone gets to test the G1X and the upcoming Nex 6, I'd be interested to hear. Perhaps the new OIS in the Canon and the new OIS in the Nex will work with both multirotors and planes.

I have sucessfully used the s95 now my my quad, so OIS can be combatted with trial and error in some cases.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Feb 2012
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepelell View Post
let me up this thread with my experience : if you are interested in video form a multirotor, stay away from Panasonic ZS20/TZ30 . It is almost impossible to cure jello, and optical image stabilization can't be disabled in video mode ( only in foto mode..) and worst of all ,it really interferes with yaw commands, so no matter how smooth you try to be, any yaw movement will come out jittery because image stabilizer is trying to compensate..
It is a shame.. it had 1080P50, good quality image wise, you could set focus at recording start so no focus hunting, and you have exposure +- compensation.. 24mm wide lens.. 208g
Now the search is on again for a compact with 1080P25 and some manual control.. LX7 seems interesting, but if it has the same lens functionality i am afraid it will have same jello problems. My machines are quite vibration free, i can use gopro @ 1080 with absolutely no jello.. i just want something a bit better than gopro .

Does anyone have aerial stills or video from the LX7? I have a Panasonic GF3 which is a great travel camera but doesnt have a couple of key AP features. Mainly 60P video or an intervalometer for stills.
epyonxero is offline Find More Posts by epyonxero
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Oct 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
Just got my GoPro USB to AV cable and have already successfully hacked it. It works perfectly and there's no visible lag! Happy days are here!!! I created a how to video check it out:

http://youtu.be/6E-Wnt3heLI
Or for the same price as the GoPro USB to AV cable you can get one of these http://www.flytron.com/camera-transm...-av-cable.html
Blue Collar is online now Find More Posts by Blue Collar
Closed Thread