Find More Posts by Ronin055
Ah, so its THIS again. . .
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
Question
From plans to water

Hey Guys !! Me again.

Im jonesing to start a new hull. Well start a new boat.

I want to build something that is about 50" LOD.

And Im considering a model of the bluenose.

The question is, how do you go from the line drawings like the one below, to making bulkheads and a keel?

And then a second question is, does anyone have or know where to get a great set of scaleable plans to build a bluenose from scratch?

Thanks in advance. Everyone here is always super helpful.
Ronin055 is offline Find More Posts by Ronin055
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2015, 08:07 AM
Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Joined Aug 2013
369 Posts
Ronin,

For non-kit building, it's about acquiring as much information about a vessel before you cut any wood...drawings, websites, books, and periodicals. You get comfortable with the design before trying to build it. I've built several hulls without much more information. But, I have forty years of dreaming about vessel designs.

The easiest way to build without a kit is to model a famous vessel that has plans available. Build simple and small to begin with. Then build bigger based on success. I'm sure there are a variety of plans on the famous BLUENOSE that you can purchase.

You may want to customize a famous design to fit needed dimensions like the size of your transport vehicle. That's just a matter of keeping the correct proportions based on the needed measurement.

If you want to build a non-famous vessel without specific plans, you need to acquire plans for that type of vessel and modify based on needs.

Given the plan view you showed us, you need views of keel shape, deck plan and rigging plan. As mentioned many times on other threads, you'll probably need an external keel for sailing performance because of scale-effect on the water.
Gammon Iron is offline Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Old Dec 10, 2015, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by slo.ca6
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts
Scratch build Bluenose success

I have seen three (3) attempts to build a Bluenose schooner from scratch ... all three 50" length.

All three from different folks all turned out ... LOOKING GREAT ... but ... RC sailing was NOT EASY due to sail area - when NOT using external keel ... which was the desire from start NOT TO HAVE EXTERNAL NON-Scale added externally attached keel. You can sail them without added keel - but- limited to light winds or not sailing with topsails.

They all became WONDERFUL DISPLAYS !!

Suggestion would be to build an Alden Malabar VIII or Makabar X ... Both scale and sail really well ... at 50"

NOTE: would send you plans ... but ... sadly all my info is in storage ... but ... I am sure you can find the info or someone in this forum would have the plans ALREADY SCALED and ready for copy n build.
slo.ca6 is offline Find More Posts by slo.ca6
Old Dec 11, 2015, 05:00 PM
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
Last year I built a Sterling Yacht America. All I had was the plans, keel and bulwarks. Everything else I fabricated. And yes, a keel fin and bulb are a must. My America has one.

What Im wondering is how to turn the above picture into frames and keel. Like when all you have is original full scale plan drawings. How do you turn the contour lines into a sailing boat?
Old Dec 11, 2015, 09:45 PM
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts
Suggestion ...

I just did a Google research ...
"Malabar Schooner drawings"

What comes up under "IMAEGS" tab are many section lines for many schooners and versions of Adlen Malabar Schooners

Scroll down a ways and there is one image of a guy drafting board laying out SCALED DOWN LINES to scratch build an RC Malabar 1 schooner ... click that image and gives following details

His website showing his steps of build is at ... Www.Photopete.com

If you write to this guy ...
Betting he has lines already for you to use ... Or ... can tell you the DETAILED STEPS HE USED to generate his scale line drawings to produce an RC version of whatever you are planning to build

Just a SUGGESTION
Ray S
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:01 PM
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts
Also ... Can't remember which topic on this forum ... But there are actually folks that are selling LASER CUT FRAMES for several schooners at whatever scale you want (and other yachts)

They would likely have plans and layout to allow you to complete your build

Having laser cut frames would save you effort to scale line drawings and make frames etc ... Giving you a jump start on your build

Just another suggestion
Old Dec 11, 2015, 10:11 PM
Joined Aug 2014
71 Posts
FYI ... when you get to the point of RC winch ... look at Robotzone.com ... they have a geared RC servo that many are using for larger RC yachts. This is what you are gong to need.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 01:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
Ill probably use two sail servos on this one. Probably two that you would use on a marblehead. I use one on the America I have and that works all mysails just fine. But we will see.

Like I said, its not my first rodeo, but ive never built from scratch from line plans. I just need to figure out the frames and what not.

Then again, I may just short circuit the whole hull building part and get the fiberglass hull from Loyalhanna Dockyard. Hartman Models makes a 50 LOD Bluenose hull. then they have full plans to build everything else. So that may be a rout to take.

The site referenced above didnt scratch build the hull. He is using a Hartman Malabar hull from Loyalhanna Dockyard. At least thats what it looks like.

But what I want to do is cut out frames, lay a keel and plank the hull myself like I did on the America. Well I planked it. the keel and frames were already done when I got her. Other than that I fabricated everything else myself. My build thread
Old Dec 16, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Joined Oct 2004
229 Posts
If you live in Sparks you might want to get in touch with John Hanks, AMYA J Class secretary. he has scratch built several sailing yachts with beautiful results.
Bill Zebb is offline Find More Posts by Bill Zebb
Old Dec 16, 2015, 08:48 PM
Joined Jan 2013
582 Posts
I do live in sparks. And all contact with the AMYA here has kinda petered out. I tried to get in contact with the commodore and was successful in talking with him. But he wasnt doing any sailing. And that was two years ago. Kinda on my own up here.