SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 28, 2014, 04:24 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Build Log
OV-10A Bronco........... 96"ws

I guess it's time to start the Bronco thread. I started this while waiting on parts for the Helldiver. It started on page #35 of that thread and ended on page #41. So we are sort of picking up from there.
This is another co-build with my buddy Wade, cat's already out of the bag on that.
It is loosely based on Dan Palmer's plans. This is my third big build using his plans and I have to say, these to me are the hardest to work with. But that may just be me.
Wade has been working on constructing some parts for us and if he hadn't, I don't think there would be any way mine would be ready for Vegas.
Here's the link from the Helldiver thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...033785&page=35

I got my fuse to the point of building the cockpit but started thinking which usually gets me in trouble. I have a few different ideas on how I may want to do the cockpit and canopy so I'm going to mull that over while I concentrate on the wing.
Today I made up wing skins. We had the wings professionally cut and they are in four parts, two inner and two outer. The wing is a big barn door type, 96" x 17".
That is a WHOLE lot of balsa!
After the skins were made I used Gorilla Glue to adhere them, my usual method.
I'll let them cure overnight.
I have pics of the beautiful booms Wade made and also the H-Stab. Notice the airfoil in the pic on the H-Stab. Believe it or not, that is upside down. The Bronco had an inverted airfoil on the stab, we'll discuss more on that later.

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2014, 04:32 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,232 Posts
Wow

Subbed
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wade Joos; Jun 28, 2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 05:43 PM
Pollock Pines, CA
Joined Aug 2002
1,686 Posts
I swear, John. "YOU'VE GOT SOMEBODY HELPING YOU"!!!!!!!!! besides Wade. You are going to be detailing her before anyone knows it. I had to switch to Nitrous Oxide. The Oxygen wasn't cutting it keeping me from spasming and having my eyes role back into my head.

I have a feeling "You are going to need a bigger trailer".

Den
Dmerino is online now Find More Posts by Dmerino
Old Jun 28, 2014, 09:43 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,980 Posts
Wade did an outstanding job on the booms.

But I have a question.. We have seen on the SB2C Helldiver, what lenghts you'll go to for a scale reproduction--OK! Now how does that translate into the speed factor?? The Bronco ia 1/5th scale , so top speed shoud be 56.2 MPH. Kind of slow !!

Just had to yank your chain.

BTW, the Helldiver is just about the same speed, @ scale.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Jun 28, 2014, 10:01 PM
Master of Repairs
United States, UT, Grantsville
Joined Mar 2013
1,118 Posts

J - for something really different - my squadron at New River Air Station - North Carolina had the OV-10. When we did our air shows they would drop 3 or 4 guys from Recon out the back with parachutes.......... The Bronco would pitch straight up and they would slide out...........

I worked on all the Avionics and got to see the FLIR system tapes from the Brochos when they did missions.

Keith
kknox is online now Find More Posts by kknox
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Spitfire Repair
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:13 AM
I don't do Normal
Canada, NT, Yellowknife
Joined Dec 2011
481 Posts
Two J Morgen threads to watch at the same time HOOOtttttt

On the canopy thing I would make it removable until you get the detail work done. I know I would be cursing up and down every time I tried to fit something into there around all them cross beams. If your friend has gotten that far maybe he has some input
Pinky_d_brain is offline Find More Posts by Pinky_d_brain
Last edited by Pinky_d_brain; Jun 29, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 04:55 AM
Finland
Joined Oct 2008
618 Posts
Subsribing in for another masterpiece

raipe
raipe is online now Find More Posts by raipe
Old Jun 29, 2014, 06:27 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Dennis,
I think I am maxed out on the trailer, 7x16 is all I'm going. If I can't get them in there, they stay home.:roll eyes:

Cooler,
Wade DID do a wonderful job on the booms. And H-Stab too!
As far as 50 mph, I LIKE 50 mph. That is something I can keep up with..... sometimes.:roll eyes:

Cool info Keith.

Pinky,
The whole cockpit has to be removable. The batts are most probably going to be sitting right underneath it. My motor system will be the same as the Tigercat. Twin 5055-320 KV on 6s batts turning G-Sonic 16x12x3 props.

Thanks raipe

Speaking of props. I bought the props for the T-Cat from a site in Sarasota FL. When I tried to buy a couple more, I found that they had gone out of business. Checked everywhere I could in the CONUS, no cigar.
Finally checked with Hans in Germany and as I remember it was going to be around $50+ a prop plus shipping! Just ridiculous. So I gave up on the idea and decided I could go with MAS 16x10x3 props.
Well, it has been awhile since then and the other day I thought I would Google the G-Sonic props and the very first site that popped up was Amazon. And they had two only in stock of the 16x12x3 G-Sonic props!!!!!!!! $28 each, Amazon Prime so no shipping!!!! I bought them immediately and they just arrived Thursday. Talk about luck, maybe the Bronco build won't go so bad, some good Karma floating around here.

Thinking out loud here. Just about all the major components have been purchased and are in the shop. We have motors, escs and props. Have the $$$ Robart gear. Booms, H-Stab, Fuse, wing, all here and ready to work on. Still need to get the three Robart wheels, $300 We purchased the cowls, nose and tail cone( lots of pinholes in them) and canopy.
Need to order the wing tube & socket. But nothing that will hold up work on the Bronco and that's good.

Today will be cleaning up all the wing skins and gluing on the LE. Then I can place the aileron & flap channels, locate the boom positions, and mark out the aileron and flaps where they need cut out. I want to get the wing mounted before I do much else on the fuse.
I may work on the purchased FG parts to clean them up, pinholes. It took a couple of hours to fill them on the nose cone alone.
And finally layup some glass on the nose bottom for extra strength gear doors. Wade provided me material for the main gear doors.
Plus a little work on the Beast too.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 09:29 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
451 Posts
Looking forward to another enjoyable build , john!!! Do to moving I can only live vicariously until I get my new shop built... Thanks for all the time you take showing us your expertise!!! I've learned ( and still am) a lot :-)
Jim
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:19 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,740 Posts
This will be good. I'm looking forward to the cockpit details. That's the thing about the Bronco; it's all about the cockpit.
pmullen503 is offline Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Jun 29, 2014, 10:52 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2008
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
This will be good. I'm looking forward to the cockpit details. That's the thing about the Bronco; it's all about the cockpit.
And if you are going "Crazy scale" the window access... that thing is a bugger to get in and out of..? "Just sayin'"
coptercptn is offline Find More Posts by coptercptn
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:38 AM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Looking forward to see another masterpiece come together John! I'd be real interested to know the numbers on your motor/prop selection. I've used 5055-320 motors and like them, but only with a 16/10/3 blade MAS prop. Numbers where 1045w on 6s around 46a per motor.
Pitch speed was 55 mph! The 12" pitch should push that up around 70mph.
What escs have you selected for the Bronco? I used Turnigy TZ85A's, that give a good range of selection with its programming card. Very smooth starts.
Looking ahead, this is going to be a truly unique plane, I like the color scheme you've chosen too. Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:53 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Thanks Jim,
Hope you get your shop built soon, I know how hard it is not to have one. When I moved here in 2007 it was about a couple of months before I could build anything. Really missed it.
gsmith on RCScaleBuilder did the definitive build on the Bronco. Took years and it was unbelievable. He did the whole hinged window/door panel thing, great work. Sadly I think it only got one or two flights before it lost an engine on takeoff and augered in. Damed slimers!

I agree Pat.
We ordered the cockpit plan too. There is a commercial cockpit set but after seeing Chad's work, no way I'm buying it as it doesn't stack up near as well as his work. He has agreed to do the panels and I'm sure I will have a few other little things for him in that huge opening. So get ready Chad.

Doug,
I'll have to go back and check but with the G-Sonic 16x12x3 I was getting close to around 1250 watts each side on the Cat for a 2500 watt total on 6s. Flies it beautifully and is soooooo quiet. In fact I went with that combo after hearing your numbers with the 5055.
Can't remember amps, have to look it up, but they were very good, less than 60 I think.
I'm running the same escs in the Bronco too, the Turnigy Delux 80A HV .
I do think that will be a good color scheme.

Got all the wing panels trimmed and LE glued on, will shape later today.
Did a little work on the Beast but now it's done until the new motor gets here so it will be all Bronco now.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2014, 01:17 PM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,646 Posts
Cool John, I love Broncos...I like the Paint you picked, I did my K&A OV10 in that same one. How much will gear cost for this big one? yikes
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 29, 2014, 02:38 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut View Post
Cool John, I love Broncos...I like the Paint you picked, I did my K&A OV10 in that same one. How much will gear cost for this big one? yikes
The Robarts were just a little under $600 Scott.
But the wheels are another $300. OUCH!

J
RCG Plus Member