SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:56 AM
Goaflier
Burnley, Lancashire and Goa India.
Joined Jul 2008
123 Posts
Build Log
Leprechaun Sailplane.

Anyone out there building the Leprechaun Sailplane, a Dick Twomey design from 1950. I have read all the stuff and seen the pics on the old threads but wondered if anyone is doing any up to date building or has any experience of making this most excellent model. At the moment I have got the plans and am shortly to make my local model shop a bit richer when I buy the wood and other bits.
My workshop shed is only nine feet long so that 105inch wing and 7 foot long fuselage should be interesting to build - gives a whole new meaning to 'organisation of the workplace'.
I have just finished building Sal Taibis Powerhouse from 1937 which is a mere 84inches wingspan so there won't be much space left after Leprechaun.
Being an ancient modeller, I have lots of time on my hands to build these Vintage models at which I could only afford to marvel when I was a youngster.
If theres anyone at all, anywhere, interested in this new thread please add your gems of wisdom and I promise I will post my photos as I go along.
Harry Pickles is offline Find More Posts by Harry Pickles
Last edited by Harry Pickles; May 04, 2012 at 02:11 PM. Reason: amendment to log type
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:07 PM
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,360 Posts
Harry, build threads are always welcomed here and are viewed and enjoyed by nearly everybody. Even if we don't intend to built the particular model, there's almost always some useful information and tips to be gained, quite apart from general interest in seeing how others go about things.

So we're looking forward to yours.

One thing you may want to consider is getting set up with a magnetic building board system. I recently did that, and just cannot put into words the joys of using it. Even after nearly 60 years of building the "old" way, after 10 minutes with the magboard I knew I'd never go back.

If you're interested, there's lots of information about the system here on RCG and elsewhere.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:21 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,714 Posts
Harry, if you were to ask the right people in SAM1066, I don't doubt that you could be put in contact with Dick Twomey himself, who is nicely retired on the island of Mauritius, but who is certainly on Internet and communicates regularly within SAM. I think he's visited the UK several times in recent years and actually flies sometimes at Middle Wallop!
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,994 Posts
Good for you Harry, the Leprechaun is a worthy project, I have seen several fly with radio and they always go well. You probably already know this, but for the benefit of those that do not, the original Lep was only 35 inches span, Dick Twomey scaled it up by a factor of 3 to produce the published 105 inch version - see below for proof of this, DT and his brother with two of the original size models (from SAM35 Yearbook No. 10 (1998)). Looking forward to following your build thread.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
Old Apr 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,609 Posts
As Sundancer says, they seem to go well with (whisper it... ) 'radio control' but as a true honest Free Flight ... mine wasn't too good at all. Wasn't any better with a more 'normal' Sunspot type fuselage either, after the Lep hit something solid at Fairlop and shortened the nose back to the pylon. Whether it was the wing shape/section or just youthful trimming inadequancies I cannot say.

Nah.. couldn't have been the latter.......

Good luck with the fuselage. Mother was not amused to come home from work and find the upper landing carpet rolled back and the fiselage side frames pinned to the floorboard.....
Applehoney is online now Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Apr 30, 2012, 04:18 PM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,714 Posts
A few years ago (about 20...), there were a couple around at Old Warden with a small engine mounted just in front of the wing, and they flew OK, but then it's no longer really a glider of course.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2012, 05:52 AM
NSWFFS
Richmond NSW Oz
Joined Apr 2005
706 Posts
and for anyone who's not familiar.

I liked it enough to save this picture from somewhere online. Image title suggests 103in??

Cheers,
Rob
McGiver is offline Find More Posts by McGiver
Old May 01, 2012, 07:35 AM
Gold Coast Australia.
Joined Jan 2005
2,536 Posts
103 it is in the Aeromodeller plan, and fancy there having been a baby one, and it was the first one.
It's never too old to learn. Had never heard of it before.
gossie is online now Find More Posts by gossie
Old May 01, 2012, 10:37 AM
Goaflier
Joined Jul 2008
123 Posts
Baby Leprechaun.

I never knew there was a baby one either - thanks for the pics. The picture above is of Dick Twomey as a young lad and the word on the wing says Twomey in Gaelic - also written in Gaelic script.
I've bought the wood now for the model and making a start tonight. Going to make the fin and pylon first as it will be difficult once I have the fuselage underway on my bench in my tiny shed. Its quite surprising how little wood you need to build this monster - thats why its so light.
One of my problems - apart from the tiny shed is that it is away from the house and my wife has to brave the storms and tempest to bring me cups of tea and chocolate biscuits !!!

UOTE=gossie;21486030]103 it is in the Aeromodeller plan, and fancy there having been a baby one, and it was the first one.
It's never too old to learn. Had never heard of it before.[/QUOTE]
Old May 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Bring it on Harry and go easy on the biscuits....that's a small shed.

I guess I'm lucky, my workshop is 18'x28' and has 3 floors with high ceilings.
Lots of room for you here Harry, c'mon over.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old May 02, 2012, 10:18 PM
Edubarca
Colombia, South America
Joined Oct 2009
1,252 Posts
The Leprechaun is indeed one of the most wonderful gliders ever designed. Let us see the progress of your model. It is a "must build" for me, one fine day!!!!..........
Edubarca is online now Find More Posts by Edubarca
Old May 03, 2012, 06:35 AM
Goaflier
Joined Jul 2008
123 Posts
leprechaun....

Hi Willum and other thread followers - Heres a couple of pages from my ancient Aeromodeller Plans Handbook. Lots of thoughts for your next project !!!
Most of these plans available in UK. Google - X List Plans.

QUOTE=williame3590;21494088]Bring it on Harry and go easy on the biscuits....that's a small shed.

I guess I'm lucky, my workshop is 18'x28' and has 3 floors with high ceilings.
Lots of room for you here Harry, c'mon over.

Bill[/QUOTE]
Old May 03, 2012, 12:13 PM
Goaflier
Joined Jul 2008
123 Posts
Leprechaun...

If I knew how to change this thread from Discussion thread to a build thread, I would do it - Is there anyone out there that can tell me what buttons to push?

Anyway - work has started on the Lep. I've built the fin and am now puzzling out how to fit a servo inside it for the elevator. As its all made out of 1/2" square and the tailplane is symettrical I have to position the servo as high as possible to the undersurface of the tailplane mount so that I dont need a long elevator horn.
I have also made a gadget so that I can cut the ends of the 1/2" square at proper rightangles for the fuselage uprights. I usually use a single edged razor blade but its getting difficult to find these in the shops. I have also marked out one of the sheets for the wing and tail ribs. Here's a picture of me in my shed which wife managed to take without chopping my head off !!!
Sorry pics are a bit boring as yet but will get better as build proceeds - time now for tea and bikkies - Cheers. H.
Old May 04, 2012, 10:28 PM
SAM270 Western Australia
Joined May 2012
11 Posts
Leprechaun...

Hi Harry,

Glad to see another Leprechaun on the building board, I have recently completed one and flew it at the SAM Champs in Australia, it did reasonably well considering I had only flown it once before the Champs so I was still sorting it out at the field. I also installed R/C in mine and installed two small servos in the Tailplane to operate the elevators. I can forward photos if required that might help if you havenít already sorted it out. After building the beast it was published in our SAM newsletter that somehow found Richard Twomey who is the original designer. Richard contacted me and was very helpful and encouraging regarding the model. I hope you get as much enjoyment from building and flying yours as I have.
Dicko
SAM270
Dick0 is offline Find More Posts by Dick0
Old May 04, 2012, 11:02 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick0 View Post
Hi Harry,

Glad to see another Leprechaun on the building boardDicko
SAM270
Dicko! you've joined us! I was going to ask you to send me the photos of your Leprechaun for this thread but now you can save me the trouble. See you on the flying field. Gary D
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom