SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Zarrick's Avatar
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Meh, looks like the brushless conversion gonna be delayed a bit. Before Christmas I dont have money for that and after new year I gonna have a lot of work at the school. My soonest investments will be Turnigy charger and a 2200mAh nanotech


Anyone, experiences with this charger? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_2S_3S.html Turnigy so its shouldnt be too bad and the price is great too
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:30 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Meh, looks like the brushless conversion gonna be delayed a bit. Before Christmas I dont have money for that and after new year I gonna have a lot of work at the school. My soonest investments will be Turnigy charger and a 2200mAh nanotech


Anyone, experiences with this charger? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ger_2S_3S.html Turnigy so its shouldnt be too bad and the price is great too
It has no power supply, do you have to supply that.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:49 PM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Zarrick's Avatar
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Yeah, I have some 12v adapters here, only need to check the output (A). After I read some articles about Li-Po batteries, I really dont want to blow them up and the stock charger looks badly cheap
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:19 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
rexless's Avatar
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Dang... I just ordered the accucel 6 but now that I look at this I think a couple of these would have been just fine. I'm not looking for super fast charging. 800mah charging on a 2200mah battery fits fine with my schedule - I rarely fly more than once or twice/day and have multiple copters if needed.

I can't say if it's any good but I might grab one on my next order and keep it in the van so I can charge while I'm travelling. I have a 12v deep cycle battery in the van with an inverter that I use for my laptop (gets me ~8-12hrs above the 4hrs my laptop provides). For the price it sounds perfect.
rexless is online now Find More Posts by rexless
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiichopper View Post
For sure what arrowshooter said. Get a good feel for the F45. That 450 kit looks nice for a starter CP. Thought about buying it also but tried a CP and decided I'm not ready for that yet! Spazy thumbs.
LOL,... nicely put arrowshooter! LOL! Nah,... I'm just the Dad, Eric Sr., never flown one of these things in my life! I started lurking and read in here a little over a week back trying to get a grip on what to surprise the boys with. They've been flying these things for two years now (13 & 14). They started out with one those little choppers with the double rotors spinning in opposite directions on one shaft. A Syma something. They spent last summer flying the bigger choppers with just one rotor on the main shaft. They do pretty good as far as I can tell. During the summer, if it ain't baseball it's flying helicopters, either way, they spend most of their time out at the field. RC flying is pretty popular out there, both planes and choppers, and they'll go out there and spend hours just sitting and watching the older guys. The 13 year old has made it clear, he's done with hand-me-downs from his older brother when it comes to this hobby. Reasoning for 2 of these things. When I talked with the guy at TechnToys, he told me the F45/450 mix would be a better purchase, predicting the older boy would tire of the F45 by it being a slightly larger, somewhat better built and performing version of what he's coming out of,... a 91xx something or other. According to him, it's his next step, as the F45 will/should be for younger boy. It's really kinda funny, they're at that age now where the older boy is shooting for separation and the younger one is demanding parity! LOL! So I can see where getting them both the same thing might not make the best political sense around the house. LOL! Hopefully, with this mix, there's an adventure in store for the both of them.

I've been reading up on this software simulator thing a lot of you guys use,... maybe I should look harder into that, try to find something that'll match up with the 450. Hell, maybe it'll even replace the xBox,... a good thing if you ask me! Thanks BThirsk,... I'll have the boys read through your blog and check out your vids for sure. But my reservation about the 450 kit was more about 'you get what you pay for' kinda thing more than anything else. I mean 150 bucks for something that would normally cost over 500 bucks for is a head scratcher. Even considering the whole generic vs name brand thing. Glad to hear hawaiichopper took a look at it and thought about it,... that made me feel better.

Hey look guys thanks a bunch for the comments, you might not see much of me, but I got a feeling the boys will be here quite often.

Eric, Sr.
Eric.Jr.Sax is offline Find More Posts by Eric.Jr.Sax
Last edited by Eric.Jr.Sax; Nov 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:33 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric.Jr.Sax View Post
LOL,... nicely put arrowshooter! LOL! Nah,... I'm just the Dad, Eric Sr., never flown one of these things in my life! I started lurking and read in here a little over a week back trying to get a grip on what to surprise the boys with. They've been flying these things for two years now (13 & 14). They started out with one those little choppers with the double rotors spinning in opposite directions on one shaft. A Syma something. They spent last summer flying the bigger choppers with just one rotor on the main shaft. They do pretty good as far as I can tell. During the summer, if it ain't baseball it's flying helicopters, either way, they spend most of their time out at the field. RC flying is pretty popular out there, both planes and choppers, and they'll go out there and spend hours just sitting and watching the older guys. The 13 year old has made it clear, he's done with hand-me-downs from his older brother when it comes to this hobby. Reasoning for 2 of these things. When I talked with the guy at TechnToys, he told me the F45/450 mix would be a better purchase, predicting the older boy would tire of the F45 by it being a slightly larger, somewhat better built and performing version of what he's coming out of,... a 91xx something or other. According to him, it's his next step, as the F45 will/should be for younger boy. It's really kinda funny, they're at that age now where the older boy is shooting for separation and the younger one is demanding parity! LOL! So I can see where getting them both the same thing might not make the best political sense around the house. LOL! Hopefully, with this mix, there's an adventure in store for the both of them.

I've been reading up on this software simulator thing a lot of you guys use,... maybe I should look harder into that, try to find something that'll match up with the 450. Hell, maybe it'll even replace the xBox,... a good thing if you ask me! Thanks BThirsk,... I'll have the boys read through your blog and check out your vids for sure. But my reservation about the 450 kit was more about 'you get what you pay for' kinda thing more than anything else. I mean 150 bucks for something that would normally cost over 500 bucks for is a head scratcher. Even considering the whole generic vs name brand thing. Glad to hear hawaiichopper took a look at it and thought about it,... that made me feel better.

Hey look guys thanks a bunch for the comments, you might not see much of me, but I got a feeling the boys will be here quite often.

Eric, Sr.
I don't know about the 450 you bought, but on mine, I did have to change the links on the swash plate to servos and up to the head as the cheap ones were not good fit. That was about it.
As the 450 is intimidating and a little dangerous, I would maybe suggest getting a small CP trainer like the Walkera MiniCP or the Blade Nano. You could all learn and have fun with one of those. Maybe that one should be for dad to teach the boys on.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:46 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
I don't know about the 450 you bought, but on mine, I did have to change the links on the swash plate to servos and up to the head as the cheap ones were not good fit. That was about it.
As the 450 is intimidating and a little dangerous, I would maybe suggest getting a small CP trainer like the Walkera MiniCP or the Blade Nano. You could all learn and have fun with one of those. Maybe that one should be for dad to teach the boys on.
+1 to that. The thing with 450 clones is if you have no experience with this type of heli you are going to have problems maintaining and troubleshooting them. They usually have components that need replacing and upgrading, but you won't have the experience to recognize that and you won't get much help online because the odds of anyone else having the same configuration you have is poor. They also break very easily and repairing them and getting them setup correctly requires lots of time, patience and expertise. You can do $20 - $30 damage just tipping the heli over and hitting the blades while they are turning.

It's also worth mentioning that this is not the kind of heli you fly around the neighborhood or playground. It's big enough to inflict serious damage or injury and is best flown at an AMA club site unless you have a lot of open space that you own. Otherwise, the liability you can incur is considerable.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:06 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Modesto
Joined Aug 2012
828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
+1 to that. The thing with 450 clones is if you have no experience with this type of heli you are going to have problems maintaining and troubleshooting them. They usually have components that need replacing and upgrading, but you won't have the experience to recognize that and you won't get much help online because the odds of anyone else having the same configuration you have is poor. They also break very easily and repairing them and getting them setup correctly requires lots of time, patience and expertise. You can do $20 - $30 damage just tipping the heli over and hitting the blades while they are turning.

It's also worth mentioning that this is not the kind of heli you fly around the neighborhood or playground. It's big enough to inflict serious damage or injury and is best flown at an AMA club site unless you have a lot of open space that you own. Otherwise, the liability you can incur is considerable.
+2 - this goes along with my spazy thumbs.
arrowshooter is offline Find More Posts by arrowshooter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
Dang... I just ordered the accucel 6 but now that I look at this I think a couple of these would have been just fine. I'm not looking for super fast charging. 800mah charging on a 2200mah battery fits fine with my schedule - I rarely fly more than once or twice/day and have multiple copters if needed.

I can't say if it's any good but I might grab one on my next order and keep it in the van so I can charge while I'm travelling. I have a 12v deep cycle battery in the van with an inverter that I use for my laptop (gets me ~8-12hrs above the 4hrs my laptop provides). For the price it sounds perfect.
You're still better off with the Accucel 6. It does very good balance charge and you will find the cheaper chargers really don't get the battery fully charged.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:14 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Zarrick's Avatar
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Any lowcost balancer&charger that is better than the stock one? Something <$10. Also, what battery would you recommend to use with the stock motor? Again, cheaper = better (for my wallet)
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:20 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Any lowcost balancer&charger that is better than the stock one? Something <$10. Also, what battery would you recommend to use with the stock motor? Again, cheaper = better (for my wallet)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 05:29 AM
THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
Zarrick's Avatar
Slovakia, Veľké Kapušany
Joined Nov 2012
95 Posts
Isnt it overpowered? I wont fly more than 10mins. without break cause of the stock motor.
THIS has more C, slighty less capacity and also its a lot cheaper. But I think I will need to mod the battery holder, as someone mentioned.
Zarrick is offline Find More Posts by Zarrick
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:07 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarrick View Post
Isnt it overpowered? I wont fly more than 10mins. without break cause of the stock motor.
THIS has more C, slighty less capacity and also its a lot cheaper. But I think I will need to mod the battery holder, as someone mentioned.
No, the 2000mah is lighter and more reserve power. You also have to get adapters for the 1800mah battery. The 1800 is a good battery as that is what I used when I first got my F45, but if the 2000mah had been listed or If I had found it, that is the one I would chose. A lot of people had got it and found if very good choice. With either battery, you can fly longer than the motor can stand. The advantage is you have more power for your entire flight. You should limit to about 6 to 8 minutes with the brushed motor. Just check motor heat when you are done.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Last edited by BThirsk; Dec 01, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:57 AM
Registered User
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Oct 2012
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BThirsk View Post
No, the 2000mah is lighter and more reserve power. You also have to get adapters for the 1800mah battery. The 1800 is a good battery as that is what I used when I first got my F45, but if the 2000mah had been listed or If I had found it, that is the one I would chose. A lot of people had got it and found if very good choice. With either battery, you can fly longer than the motor can stand. The advantage is you have Todd strong power for you flight. You should limit to about 6 to 8 minutes with the brushed motor. Just check motor heat when you are done.
The 2000mah batteries do work well. Have an 1800mah also but even after changing connectors it is a bit more difficult to change and affects center of gravity more.
hawaiichopper is offline Find More Posts by hawaiichopper
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:49 AM
Brent 黑雁
BThirsk's Avatar
Canada, AB, Ponoka
Joined Jan 2012
1,780 Posts
New mini trainer

Guys.
I know many of you are excited about the MJX flybarless FP that is due to be released.
I would suggest looking at this instead. V922 CP
I have a Walkera SuperFP and a MiniCP, both the same size and both share many of the same parts only one is fixed pitch and the other is CP.
The CP is easier to take off as ground effects don't affect it as much.
It is easier to hover . You can hover in a 6 inch space whereas the FP hovers almost like toilet bowl effect and is not precise.
Flying the FP needs more room because it does not respond as well.
My experience is the small CP flybarless is a far better choice to learn on.
BThirsk is online now Find More Posts by BThirsk
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion On self stabilising single-rotor helis (FP/CP) and comparison to quadcopters and coax LMF5000 Electric Heli Talk 10 Apr 13, 2014 03:59 PM
Discussion UAV systems Single Rotor vs Multi Rotor iskoos UAV - Unmanned Aerial Vehicles 2 Jan 06, 2012 11:51 PM
Question Upgrading from Co-Axial to FP Single Rotor Judo JoNny Electric Heli Talk 57 Sep 20, 2010 01:10 PM
Discussion Best FP single rotor 4 CH Heli? helinewbie617 Micro Helis 76 Oct 31, 2009 08:16 PM
For Sale will trade my orbiter coaxial for a fp or cp single rotor heli micro heli Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Sep 05, 2007 02:36 PM