HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by billpa, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:10 PM
Rick
United States, CA, Santa Clara
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Having an issue with mine. I switched it to another plane in which it was working perfectly and mounted right side up. The new plane it was mounted upside down, but the 3D configuration would move the ailerons only to maximum. Only the Ailerons. In 2 D everything was fine. I went to change the roll pot and tame it down to see if that was the trouble and then the unit went dead. No LED. I can't get it to go on again. All servos connected to it wouldn't respond. I disconnected the unit and put everything back the way it was and everything works except the Guardian. I suppose I will open a support ticket, but has anyone experienced this before?
Connect it to your PC and do a factory reset. If it won't respond to the PC, open a support ticket.
choochoo22 is online now Find More Posts by choochoo22
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:25 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,677 Posts
+1 on the factory reset. Had to do it once on mine and once of my friend's.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:12 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
Won't respond. I opened a ticket. Thanks
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Baulkham Hills
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
Hi guys,

Apologies if the answer is elsewhere in this thread....

I have upgraded the firmware and am just wondering whether I need to redo any of the specific settings I was running under the old firmware version or whether these will just carry accross?

Cheers,

Steve
stevo1957 is offline Find More Posts by stevo1957
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:13 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1957 View Post
Hi guys,

Apologies if the answer is elsewhere in this thread....

I have upgraded the firmware and am just wondering whether I need to redo any of the specific settings I was running under the old firmware version or whether these will just carry accross?

Cheers,

Steve
Steve,

Which level of firmware?

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:21 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,489 Posts
I think this is a great example of a book being needed called " Gyros for Dummies" and I will be the first in line to purchase the book !!
I am starting to remember why I always flew without them lol : ) , too many options I need to keep it simple for my adolescent child like mind that allows me to still purchase and play with expensive toys that the wifey approves !
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:31 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
After mine failed on the bench I have a teensy bit of doubt about using it in the expensive plane I intended. As will all things there are failures. That I understand. Just need some reassurance that the odds are with me. Mine was mounted upside down and had the latest firmware. Just wondering if that could have contributed to the failure. 3D was just going crazy no matter what I did to the pots or switches. 2 D was fine as far as I could tell. Gain worked too. Maybe I should have reset it when I noticed the glitch. Lesson learned, but I am all ears to other suggestions.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:04 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
After mine failed on the bench I have a teensy bit of doubt about using it in the expensive plane I intended. As will all things there are failures. That I understand. Just need some reassurance that the odds are with me. Mine was mounted upside down and had the latest firmware. Just wondering if that could have contributed to the failure. 3D was just going crazy no matter what I did to the pots or switches. 2 D was fine as far as I could tell. Gain worked too. Maybe I should have reset it when I noticed the glitch. Lesson learned, but I am all ears to other suggestions.
Did you set all control throws as per the instruction manual of the model manufacturer? This is important because your model will response to your stick controls and G will maintain whatever input signal you have given. So, imagine if you give more aileron throws than the manufacturer recommends then the model will become unstable.

See my vid below..... oops forgot to add the vid clip ;

Maiden after chaning ESC - 16 Aug 13 (0 min 55 sec)

My Storch was almost uncontrollable until I set the throws to the recommend
level and everything was fine after that.

Here is the second vid :
A low pass - Storch (much tamed) Part- 2 (0 min 28 sec)

HTH

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Last edited by CurrentDude; Jun 16, 2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:20 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
Mine would just jam the ailerons to the left no matter what attitude the model was in at boot up. They never centered. It would also only do a twitch confirmation about every fourth time I plugged it in. All my throw were 100%. What is scary is it just died and with that all connections died with it. Had it been in the air it would have been a catastrophic failure. I probably should have reset it before mounting it upside down. Clean slate as a precaution.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:43 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,186 Posts
Out-of-the-box Works

I've installed quite a few Guardians for modelers that had either a two-position switch for mode, or no extra channel for gain, etc. Other than cutting the AIL POT to about 70%, ELE POT to about 80%, and leaving the RUD POT at 100%, these installations have run with no changes to firmware, no PC connection, etc.

Are they getting the maximum stabilization? Probably not, but it has definitely saved their planes when switched into 2D.

Most of the discussion is centered around HH on or off, which mode is best, etc.; but if you follow choochoo22's User Guide (click on his avatar to find it), it will work pretty much out of the box. The only thinking required is to verify that the POTs are set to the correct direction and, again, the User Guide walks you through that. Once set, you can then do the "Level Set" gesture and forget about it.

The only stabilization device I have setup that is simpler is the far more expensive Bavarian Demon Cortex. As long as you are OK with upright (otherwise, PC access is required), just insert a bind plug, move the controls AIL: left/right, ELE: down/up, RUD: left/right, and that's it. With the bind plug, the correct stabilization direction is learned and, every time it is powered up, it memorizes the current TRIM settings. For $350, one would hope it would be simpler. There is no 2D mode to get you out of trouble, however.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
I think this is a great example of a book being needed called " Gyros for Dummies" and I will be the first in line to purchase the book !!
I am starting to remember why I always flew without them lol : ) , too many options I need to keep it simple for my adolescent child like mind that allows me to still purchase and play with expensive toys that the wifey approves !
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:35 PM
Australia, NSW, Baulkham Hills
Joined May 2004
446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Steve,

Which level of firmware?

Bill
Hi Bill,

I downloaded the 10.52 release update so the firmware is that attached to that release mate. V1.19

I decided against getting the beta release just yet.

Cheers,

Steve
stevo1957 is offline Find More Posts by stevo1957
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:24 PM
Gravity gives sinking feeling
Joined Jun 2011
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Mine would just jam the ailerons to the left no matter what attitude the model was in at boot up. They never centered. It would also only do a twitch confirmation about every fourth time I plugged it in. All my throw were 100%. What is scary is it just died and with that all connections died with it. Had it been in the air it would have been a catastrophic failure. I probably should have reset it before mounting it upside down. Clean slate as a precaution.
It seems to me you may have a servo problem - suggest double check it and if that does solve the problem, then check if there are any lose connections. Push in all the plugs as much as you can, particularly ailerons since this where it seems you may have a problem. Failing that, I'd contact ET. They're pretty good at giving a prompt reply or may even take back any faulty G.

Let's know how you got on.

Cheers
CurrentDude is offline Find More Posts by CurrentDude
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:21 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,763 Posts
Thanks CurrentDude, I sent the unit back for repair. All connections were solid., but the servo leads are long. Especially the ailerons. 72" wingspan. The fact that it didn't give a confirm twitch on start up should have been a red flag. If anyone else experiences this ground your plane. Once the unit dies so does all your servo controls that were connected to it.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:28 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
Try the New User's Guide from here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=354219

It gives you a step-by-step using the current software along with some additional info and suggestions to make it easy to get started.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:21 PM
Rick
Joined Mar 2011
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Thanks CurrentDude, I sent the unit back for repair. All connections were solid., but the servo leads are long. Especially the ailerons. 72" wingspan. The fact that it didn't give a confirm twitch on start up should have been a red flag. If anyone else experiences this ground your plane. Once the unit dies so does all your servo controls that were connected to it.
I don't recall any cases that could be confirmed to be a Guardian failing in flight. True, however, that it may be hard to verify since it would certainly lead to a crash. However, cases of Guardian being inop after a crash are rare, I don't recall any of those either. Those failures that have been reported here seem to be when updating firmware, DOA, or when moving it to another plane or generally messing with it. But it is electronic, and things can fail. And it takes a beating, which doesn't help. I would say the failure rate is no worse than a name brand receiver. In two years and maybe approaching 10 Guardians I have had two failures. One got wet, one in a bad crash ripped the USB off and did some other physical damage. The last one can't be updated now but it still works. In contrast, by the way, my first $270 NAZA the controller came out of the box dead.

Lack of a confirming twitch is not an indicator of failure or impending failure. It happens rather often, especially with the 1.24 beta firmware. Usually best results are obtained by letting it sit and finish booting for 10 sec or more, and toggling with a pause at each position.